It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 45
<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

Originally posted by Jrocbaby

Originally posted by Beginningoftheend
reply to post by spacedonk

Somebody really ought to slap this guy. If it weren't for somebody having a belief in god or heaven and the rewards of living a moral existence he wouldn't even be here. The nurse would of just placed a blanket over his face at birth and let him starve to death. Seriously. Bloody ingrate!!!

Somebody really ought to slap YOU. What are you even talking about, human beings have only had religion and even the concept of a god for a few thousand years, that gives us 100,000+ years of survival and slow progress.

I have zero belief in god or heaven, neither does a large % of the world, so if it were not for people like YOU, the world would not be here? That is not only incorrect, its a simplistic view of the world and you have my pity.

Hawking is just telling the truth, its your own fault you came to this crazy conclusion that religion is real. Imagine if 90% of the world started spitting on themselves because it keeps the evil spirits away [which is what people really used to do], and you come along and question it and 9 outta 10 people disagree and get angry at you, while in reality he is right.

I would suggest people with YOUR thinking process is the real problem of this world, and the single most harmful thing to humanity we've ever faced, and may very well kill us all as a species one day.

human beings have only had religion for a FEW thousand years?! hahahahah! so, right off the bat, you prove that you don't know what you're talking about.

the poster is implying that religious people, or people of values, were the ones who originally objected to the discarding of "defective" babies, a practice prevalent in ancient civilizations. he/she is most probably incorrect, but it is not something you can prove or disprove.

"Hawking is right" is your opinion. the whole reaction to this story is "prove it!" Hawking can offer ZERO proof that the afterlife doesn't exist. just like you cannot prove that saliva is NOT a natural ghost repellent! personally, I don't believe it, but i have no way of proving or disproving it.

Religion and faith in god and life after death are two different things. I would agree that organized religion is one of the worst things to have happened to humanity, but what negative effect does being open to possibilities have? the simple fact is that YOU don't know whether there is life after death or not. as long as you're not killing other people over their beliefs or using religions as a system of control over a populace, what harm does it do to believe that there is a god and that some form of life after death is possible?

The adamant Atheist is not overly swayed by hard material evidence (an existing ark found, etc) but instead is continually informed by a firm vision of what the cosmos must be like --and NO God allowed....
edit on 18-5-2011 by FlyingSkullOfDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by macario
reply to post by Robot7

If you never got married in your entire life and when you reach your golden years you came and told me that the real concept of love between two married people doesn't exists, I wouldn't believe you. So to me he problem is that to reach a much more reliable conclusion you need to actually go outside, walk, laugh, talk, touch others, smell, see, hear, run, travel... Experiment (which is required in science). I'm not saying that a person like Hawking couldn't reach a reliable conclusion on a specific matter, all I'm saying is he can't prove his theories 100% because he does lack the ability to experiment. Sitting on a chair all your life might give you a lot of time to think but not time to prove in person your own thoughts.

So because you fell for the natural lure of human beings to reproduce, that changes the way the world works? And no love does not exist, it's an invisible game we play with the same species, to make survival easier, and to progress the species.

What about all the people in their golden years that have never been married or had children? Do you consider them inferior to you?

do you have babies, Jroc? because i used to think like you, that love and emotions were all just science and chemistry. Then my daughter was born and I found out that Love, while it exists only in our hearts and minds, is VERY real. if love isn't real, then nothing is, my friend. if it all boils down to playing games to survive, then the will to survive doesn't exist either. it is simply a construct of our minds developed to counteract suicidal tendencies. it doesn't make sense to claim that love is unreal. I feel love for my daughter, therefore it is real. end of story. if you go down this path, then none of our thoughts or emotions could be considered "real."

and yes, on a basic level, someone who has never experienced family life or love for their own child is slightly inferior to someone who has. experiences shape and change you. you could argue that the childless, single elderly person is better off... you would just sound stupid. any experience is a learning one, and the people who have lived with growing children and a spouse have learned and experienced more than the people who haven't. sure, those single folks could have learned and grown in other ways that the family folks didn't, but there are key benefits to watching a child grow and learning to live with a significant other that cannot be gained anywhere else in life.

it sounds like you could use a child in your life, friend. it would ease a little of that choking cynicism of yours. I've enjoyed life exponentially more since i discovered True Love.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The funny thing is everyone here thats believes a guy that believes in the string theory, this dude is making stuff up everyday that doesn't exist and saying it does. Why would we believe him again? What has he done? Proved something about black holes and now others believe that they aren't even there.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slipdoggety
The funny thing is everyone here thats believes a guy that believes in the string theory, this dude is making stuff up everyday that doesn't exist and saying it does. Why would we believe him again? What has he done? Proved something about black holes and now others believe that they aren't even there.

Yes, fantasy's like Black Holes, Oort Cloud, Photon Belt, Dark Mass/Liquid/Matter/Flow and the Galactic Belt, sounds like a page right out of H.G. Wells. It's real Science that keeps these fantasy's going....

edit on 18-5-2011 by FlyingSkullOfDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slipdoggety

right! i'm so sick of theoretical science based on theoretical science being accepted as fact and the theorists being elevated to godly status.

sure, Hawking's smart, he's not god. there is NO WAY he can know that things he claims to know. which takes faith and makes it a belief, not a fact.

that being said, Hawking is free to believe what he wants, just like i am free to believe that the majority of his ideas are a little "out there."

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSkullOfDeath
Our Evolutionism believers here try to run from the fatal problem of Spontaneous Generation by complaining that "Creationists just don't understand me". Bottom line: Life is mathematically certain to be the product of Intelligent Design, while Darwin's Evolution has been rewritten several times and always with the same fatal flaws.

Evolution and Creationism are two totally different concepts, one is a fact with real evidence, the other is speculation with a different name that makes it seem less religious.

Life is mathmatically certain to be the product of intelligent design? Well prove it, thats right you can't. If you are talking about the spiral angle [i forget what it is called] that is on everything from cells to galaxies, if so, that does not point to anything at all. If anything, it points towards circular objects are the easiest for nature to use as the building blocks for life, which is why cells are not triangles or squares, nor galaxies or plants.

If Charles Darwin had explained that evolution proceeds in fits and starts, his theory would have been ridiculed from the start. Imagine if Darwin had explained that, according to his theory of evolution, species rapidly appear as if planted there, and then go unchanged for eons. Darwin would have been laughed off the stage. Darwin had to present a narrative of gradualism. Funny thing is, the fits-and-starts narrative is today precisely what evolutionists tell us.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unown
In spite of this being true, you seem like a depressed and troubled person, taking your anger out on the religious. Besides, I was talking about your feeling about no Gods existing, not your view on life/death.

But then again, you seem to think:
God = Afterlife
Probably because you're used to belittling Christians, like you did in your other post.

Oh, to the contrary. I'm living in the NOW, and thrilled with it. It seems to me that only a depressed person would hope that the *after life* will be better than this life.

We live in extraordinary times.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
In my eye's Hawkins is now officially a Twat. Seems like such a great intellect but obviously he's a bit dull. Then again can we really expect someone with his disability to believe in God? Probably not. I think he's taken the huff with the Almighty and this is payback time.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jrocbaby

You apparently missed the part in there where I talk about him having been old enough when the symptoms set in and smart enough to know what he's missing.

So, to put your analogy correctly, if I was a middle class kid and then saw my family decline to the point where I was put in the situation you described, then, yeah, I probably would be bitter and an Atheist.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

AH! Here I am, and always will have been. Whom of us really knows the answer, but it is the knowing of the question that keeps our minds going. Be here now is a good faith I think of. What is there but the now? Not the past, not the future, but what we are and how we feel now. Be good, think good thoughts the best you can, don't lie and treat all creatures the way you know is right. We are part of the universe and have a worth, just as any one else no matter what They belive.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
The guy is simply offering his conclusions on this existence after a hell of a lot of isolated thought. He isn't purposing some 'omfg ground-breaking' physics theory here people, so you can stop with the "omgz but he's a scientist and he has no proof for this claim!!! haha!!!! we got him!!".

He's stating his beliefs, just like some of you are so eager to state yours and then proceed to shove it down everyone's throat.

Chill.

simple fact: no one knows what happens after we die- maybe life again, maybe nothing, maybe something we can't imagine. if anyone tells you, today or 2000 years ago, that they do know what happens when we die..... they are lying.
edit on 19-5-2011 by thepainweaver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
As someone who dreams of creating artificial intelligence, just the fact that humans can even contemplate the existence of a god is an amazing achievement, giving that God doesn't speak to us, give us clear instructions or even upholds justice here on Planet Earth.

I'm a believer in God, but considering his nature, I don't think he cares if people believe in him or an afterlife at all.

It's only us that care.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I spent almost a year following The Street Preaches in Miami Beach as they preached fire and brimstone to those passing by

www.flickr.com...

They would disagree with Stephen.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This really is one of those topics where people just need to agree to disagree. Until we are delivered concrete proof in one way or another no one side will be able to convince the other of their views. People get too bogged down in the nitty gritty of religion, you shouldn't take it at face value, just accept that the messages they promote should be good. It is human interpretation of these stories that lead to the troubles. For example it says in the bible 'Thou shalt not kill' it does not however contain a side note saying 'It's ok to kill if they don't believe the same as you'.

I'm not a particularly religious person but I can understand why people need to believe there is someone tending the light at the end of the tunnel. If it gives people hope, let them believe that, it's when they start forcing their views as absolute on everyone else that the issues arise.

There will always be arguments and counter arguments both for and against religion and so much of our time can be wasted on them.

For these reasons my religious view are 'Bill and Ted-ism' or, 'be awesome to everyone'.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

You are entirely incorrect; every person in those videos is speaking speculatively when they talk about 'branes and multiple universes. Although I am in love with the latter notion, there is no direct or indirect evidence yet for the existence of such.

Further, you state that "an infinite number of bubble universes, something which has been known by mystics and scholars of ancient knowledge before scientists discovered it." I challenge your assertion. Please show where a mystic or ancient scholar describes "an infinite number of bubble universes." First, you won't be able to find that, unless you're talking about a 20th or 21st century mystic/scholar, in which case they'd obviously be informed (if badly) about the speculative scientific thought of the day. Second, it is literally meaningless to state that there is an "infinite number" of ANYTHING. If we are talking about discrete objects/phenomena/etc., then by definition there will be a finite number of them. If you can't see that, then you probably don't understand the notion of "infinite." Now, it's possible that the multitude of bubble universes exist in a boundless, hyperdimensional realm, in which case IT (singular) is infinite, but not the discrete, singular phenomena that take place in it.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i agree, there is no heaven or hell or god or spirits or ghosts or souls etc ..... its all an excuse, every person believes that he him/her self is better than others and hence believes that something special will happen to him following his/her death. well actually when you die you die, thats it. it could be because the organs are worn off and shut down so your brain ceases to function. right now you are alive not because of a soul but because your body's complex functioning is keeping your brain and remaining cells alive.

a human body is made up of only 28 basic elements in different proportions. trillions of atoms build your body. and everything works like a complex machine.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiberianPurifier
i agree, there is no heaven or hell or god or spirits or ghosts or souls etc ..... its all an excuse, every person believes that he him/her self is better than others and hence believes that something special will happen to him following his/her death. well actually when you die you die, thats it. it could be because the organs are worn off and shut down so your brain ceases to function. right now you are alive not because of a soul but because your body's complex functioning is keeping your brain and remaining cells alive.

a human body is made up of only 28 basic elements in different proportions. trillions of atoms build your body. and everything works like a complex machine.

That is the fervent wish of every atheist, but all evidence is to the contrary. Instead, there is no longer any doubt that after mortal death comes a certain Judgment.
edit on 19-5-2011 by FlyingSkullOfDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This guy has always had a beef with anything spiritual.. My belief is that he is hanging on to major resentments because of his condition period

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Maybe people will quit accepting Steven Hawking crap as dogma. "Aliens are every where. Just ask Steven Hawking."

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elbereth

Originally posted by TravisT
Can you show me scientific proof of a soul?

I don't know if this qualifies as "scientific" proof of a soul, but it does raise questions.

From Wikipedia: In 1907, MacDougall weighed six patients while they were in the process of dying from tuberculosis in an old age home. It was relatively easy to determine when death was only a few hours away, and at this point the entire bed was placed on an industrial sized scale which was apparently sensitive to the gram. He took his results (a varying amount of perceived mass loss in most of the six cases) to support his hypothesis that the soul had mass, and when the soul departed the body, so did this mass. The determination of the soul weighing 21 grams was based on the average loss of mass in the six patients. Experiments on mice and other animals took place. Most notably the weighing upon death of sheep seemed to create mass for a few minutes which later disappeared. The hypothesis was made that a soul portal formed upon death which then whisked the soul away.

Snopes: Doctor weighs patients at moment of death

Wiki article: Duncan MacDougall
edit on 16-5-2011 by Elbereth because: correct and add

Don't confuse the disbelievers with facts. They want to believe in 'not much', no matter what you present to them.

If anyone really wants to know if there is an afterlife, all they have to do is 'ask God'. I'm not talking about a little local god, I'm talking about asking The God of the Universe/Multiverse. He is well-able to respond to your genuine, sincere queries. If you ask in that manner, you will be pleasantly surprised.... I guarantee that.

new topics

top topics

<< 42  43  44    46  47  48 >>

join