It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by spacedonk

I agree with what he said, but who exactly is he to say there is no afterlife?
the same goes for me I can say I dont believe in a afterlife, but there's always a chance Im wrong.

Ermm...he's considered an intellectual genius - the "Einstein" of his generation.

That's who he is.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beginningoftheend

Somebody really ought to slap this guy. If it weren't for somebody having a belief in god or heaven and the rewards of living a moral existence he wouldn't even be here. The nurse would of just placed a blanket over his face at birth and let him starve to death. Seriously. Bloody ingrate!!!

Somebody really ought to slap YOU. What are you even talking about, human beings have only had religion and even the concept of a god for a few thousand years, that gives us 100,000+ years of survival and slow progress.

I have zero belief in god or heaven, neither does a large % of the world, so if it were not for people like YOU, the world would not be here? That is not only incorrect, its a simplistic view of the world and you have my pity.

Hawking is just telling the truth, its your own fault you came to this crazy conclusion that religion is real. Imagine if 90% of the world started spitting on themselves because it keeps the evil spirits away [which is what people really used to do], and you come along and question it and 9 outta 10 people disagree and get angry at you, while in reality he is right.

I would suggest people with YOUR thinking process is the real problem of this world, and the single most harmful thing to humanity we've ever faced, and may very well kill us all as a species one day.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lovepeace20
I dont think Mr Hawking should have the authority to even say that. The way he looks at reality and life just seems contradict many findings in the quantum world. While i agree with the fact that the heaven brought up in religion is not real. I don't see why the idea of an afterlife is so hard to comprehend. This kind of reminds me of when Einstein did not believe in quantum psychics he could not accept it. But studying came up with theory of relativity. Nothing is certain to the absorber of the universe

The reason why the afterlife is a cartoon view of death, is because we all know at the very core of our being that it is not only wrong, but also that you would NEVER have that view of death[heaven/hell] UNLESS somebody came along and CONVERTED you, just like every other religion.

He is not questioning the afterlife, he is questioning religion. The truth is nobody knows, and he is coming and saying" NO YOU ARE WRONG BECAUSE WE ALL ARE WRONG!!!"

It is impossible as a human being to know what happens to you when you die, but I can PROMISE you that every religion is false, and that there is no heaven, sorry we do not live in Disney world guys.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by macario
reply to post by Robot7

If you never got married in your entire life and when you reach your golden years you came and told me that the real concept of love between two married people doesn't exists, I wouldn't believe you. So to me he problem is that to reach a much more reliable conclusion you need to actually go outside, walk, laugh, talk, touch others, smell, see, hear, run, travel... Experiment (which is required in science). I'm not saying that a person like Hawking couldn't reach a reliable conclusion on a specific matter, all I'm saying is he can't prove his theories 100% because he does lack the ability to experiment. Sitting on a chair all your life might give you a lot of time to think but not time to prove in person your own thoughts.

So because you fell for the natural lure of human beings to reproduce, that changes the way the world works? And no love does not exist, it's an invisible game we play with the same species, to make survival easier, and to progress the species.

What about all the people in their golden years that have never been married or had children? Do you consider them inferior to you?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSkullOfDeath
Our Evolutionism believers here try to run from the fatal problem of Spontaneous Generation by complaining that "Creationists just don't understand me". Bottom line: Life is mathematically certain to be the product of Intelligent Design, while Darwin's Evolution has been rewritten several times and always with the same fatal flaws.

Evolution and Creationism are two totally different concepts, one is a fact with real evidence, the other is speculation with a different name that makes it seem less religious.

Life is mathmatically certain to be the product of intelligent design? Well prove it, thats right you can't. If you are talking about the spiral angle [i forget what it is called] that is on everything from cells to galaxies, if so, that does not point to anything at all. If anything, it points towards circular objects are the easiest for nature to use as the building blocks for life, which is why cells are not triangles or squares, nor galaxies or plants.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
I still don't get Hawkings latest idea: the universe "created itself".

At some point you have to get from literally nothing... to something. Sorry, but that's impossible.

Not even Hawking, or Chuck Norris, could do it.

Exactly, so where did god come from? Either something came from seemingly nothing to create, or a god came from nothing to create.

What he means by universes creating themselves, is that the matter from other universes clash together and starts a new universe, which is a theory on top of a theory which makes a lot on sense if you can grasp the concept.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jrocbaby

Evolution and Creationism are two totally different concepts, one is a fact with real evidence, the other is speculation with a different name that makes it seem less religious.

Incorrect.

Evolution is an accepted theory it has by no means been proven as fact.

I do not support creationism but evolution is not "fact".

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by FatedAxion
This is going to sound pretty cold, but, to be honest, look at the guy. I mean, seriously, think about how awful it would be to live like him when you're smart enough and were old enough when the symptoms set in to actually have a good idea of what you've been missing. In his shoes, I'd be so bitter that I'd be an Atheist by default.

So because you were born with quality of life, that = god?

If you were born in africa and never knew when the next meal would come and watched everybody you know die on a daily basis, that = atheist by default?

Sounds life faulty logic to me.

If anything hawking should be religious, because he should of died years ago, he should be worshipping god constantly, but just like myself, he knows that it is all a lie, and that nobody knows what happens.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Version100

Incorrect.

So all the animals that they can point to that has changed over millions of years is all of a sudden incorrect? All the evidence that would be impossible for me to show you everything in a lifetime, is all of a sudden void? Prove it

Animals change over time, that is a fact.
edit on 18-5-2011 by Jrocbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Incorrect.

So all the animals that they can point to that has changed over millions of years is all of a sudden incorrect? All the evidence that would be impossible for me to show you everything in a lifetime, is all of a sudden void? Prove it

Charles Darwin stated that his theory of evolution would only
hold true if many transitional forms were found.

A quote from Robert L. Carroll, "Patterns and Processes of
Vertebrate Evolution", 1997

"Despite more than a hundred years of intense collecting efforts
since the time of Darwin's death, the fossil record still does not
yield the picture of infinitely numerous transitional links that he
expected."

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by spacedonk

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

www.guardian.co.uk

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts, Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.

Hawking, who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21, shares his thoughts on death, human purpose and our chance existence in an exclusive interview with the Guardian today.

The incurable illness was expected to kill Hawking within a few years of its symptoms
(visit the link for the full news article)

This only proves One thing. That Hawking really IS as stupid as a doorknocker. This has nothing to do with any real science theoretical or otherwise. Hawking is just pissed that God made him out to be half a man with half a brain.

This is not the first time he has made such statements. Hawking is making statements out of pure emotionalism. He has an axe to grind. There is no science behind the proof that heaven does not exist.

I submit that Hawking does not exist. He was invented by the British because they needed a brilliant scientist, I see them do it all the time on Dr Who.
edit on 18-5-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: edit
Well judging you as a human being just like hawking, I would say you have contributed nothing to society with YOUR statements,unlike him, It seems that YOU have an axe to grind here.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Incorrect.

expected."

So none of the genetic mutations that are present today means nothing to you? That weird unexplainable changes happen every now and then that can create new species/sub species, seems pretty evident and logical that animals change overtime. Just look at dogs for example, they used to be scary and killed people, now we changed them into useless poodles that are not threatening at all and cannot survive on its own.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by subby

Hi. A few responses, if that's okay.
Do you also think that Einstein's large nose was responsible for his success?
People should have a fear of death, for it is the end of their life. If they have some sense they'll try not to waste their short time here.
I'm a "medical professional" and have been for a decade, dealing with death on a daily basis, and have encountered no examples of anything "spiritual".

Your bizarre and antisemitic swipe at Einstein aside, you need to publish on your lack of such experience. Maybe you can overturn Dr.Margaret Mead whose own experience fervently convinced her of the Supernatural.

Accusing me of being antisemitic is nothing short of desperate and pathetic. I'm not even going to justify your comment by taking it seriously. There isn't anything for me to publish; people live and then they die, that's it.

Yes, there is no life after a certain death, the scientific evidence is swelling in your defense.... In short, no God, But Hawking's Nomad Aliens instead and that's a fact!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Let's recap a thumbnail sketch of Hawking's past 'brilliancies': for decades driven by weak physics and weaker metaphysics, dear Steve taught bogus claims on Black Holes. Then he caved on that. Next, as his brain and body decaying, he begins a lecture tour to actually preach on religion.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Incorrect.

expected."

Sadly, here in the USofA, recent polls show that teachers openly ridicule Evolution and just will not
even bother to teach it.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Incorrect.

Evolution is fact..stop being an idiot
second line.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

Incorrect.

Evolution is fact..stop being an idiot
second line.

I seen articles by hard scientists Nat'l Academy recently claiming that the latest evolutionism icon, ARDI, is another fraud. And I think that's sad. Yes ARDI likely has nothing whatsoever to do with the certain Evolution of man from apes, but we must not allow skeptical discussion of Evolutionism to permeate into public view.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by awareness10

I don't think you are making sense when you talk of ideas...ideas exist. The idea of star-trek exists because knowledge of space and universes dawned on him/her who first came up with the idea of star-trek. It was a consequence.

The question i am asking is what consequence starts from nothing. And i would like an example of it. Ideas are consequences of reason/logic and knowledge. They don't just pop up out of nothing.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by macario

no worries, your english is great. as is your point.

I've always assumed that if the "real" heaven or afterlife were ever confirmed by Science, it would look a little different than any religion has it. legends, myths and beliefs are based on our flawed interpretation of real world events and phenomena. if the afterlife were real, i'm sure it would be like more of an alternate dimension, and just one of many, than the be-all-end-all final destination of the soul that heaven/paradise is made out to be.

I don't get how a scientist like Hawking can make this claim based only on the lack of proof. granted, there is no proof TO support the afterlife theory, but if you don't have a smoking-gun, nail in the coffin proof of the afterlife NOT existing, why go after it? you know that many people believe in it and take it seriously, so why give a statement which amounts to your beliefs and faith that there is no afterlife? it makes no sense. simply saying "we don't know" should be enough for him. and people wonder why there is an inherent tension between Faith and Science. Science always acts like it knows everything when it doesn't, and Faith is just too sensitive.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beginningoftheend

Somebody really ought to slap this guy. If it weren't for somebody having a belief in god or heaven and the rewards of living a moral existence he wouldn't even be here. The nurse would of just placed a blanket over his face at birth and let him starve to death. Seriously. Bloody ingrate!!!

Somebody really ought to slap YOU. What are you even talking about, human beings have only had religion and even the concept of a god for a few thousand years, that gives us 100,000+ years of survival and slow progress.

I have zero belief in god or heaven, neither does a large % of the world, so if it were not for people like YOU, the world would not be here? That is not only incorrect, its a simplistic view of the world and you have my pity.

Hawking is just telling the truth, its your own fault you came to this crazy conclusion that religion is real. Imagine if 90% of the world started spitting on themselves because it keeps the evil spirits away [which is what people really used to do], and you come along and question it and 9 outta 10 people disagree and get angry at you, while in reality he is right.

I would suggest people with YOUR thinking process is the real problem of this world, and the single most harmful thing to humanity we've ever faced, and may very well kill us all as a species one day.

human beings have only had religion for a FEW thousand years?! hahahahah! so, right off the bat, you prove that you don't know what you're talking about.

the poster is implying that religious people, or people of values, were the ones who originally objected to the discarding of "defective" babies, a practice prevalent in ancient civilizations. he/she is most probably incorrect, but it is not something you can prove or disprove.

"Hawking is right" is your opinion. the whole reaction to this story is "prove it!" Hawking can offer ZERO proof that the afterlife doesn't exist. just like you cannot prove that saliva is NOT a natural ghost repellent! personally, I don't believe it, but i have no way of proving or disproving it.

Religion and faith in god and life after death are two different things. I would agree that organized religion is one of the worst things to have happened to humanity, but what negative effect does being open to possibilities have? the simple fact is that YOU don't know whether there is life after death or not. as long as you're not killing other people over their beliefs or using religions as a system of control over a populace, what harm does it do to believe that there is a god and that some form of life after death is possible?

new topics

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join