It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I dont think Mr Hawking should have the authority to even say that. The way he looks at reality and life just seems contradict many findings in the quantum world. While i agree with the fact that the heaven brought up in religion is not real. I don't see why the idea of an afterlife is so hard to comprehend. This kind of reminds me of when Einstein did not believe in quantum psychics he could not accept it. But studying came up with theory of relativity. Nothing is certain to the absorber of the universe

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Robot7

If you never got married in your entire life and when you reach your golden years you came and told me that the real concept of love between two married people doesn't exists, I wouldn't believe you. So to me he problem is that to reach a much more reliable conclusion you need to actually go outside, walk, laugh, talk, touch others, smell, see, hear, run, travel... Experiment (which is required in science). I'm not saying that a person like Hawking couldn't reach a reliable conclusion on a specific matter, all I'm saying is he can't prove his theories 100% because he does lack the ability to experiment. Sitting on a chair all your life might give you a lot of time to think but not time to prove in person your own thoughts.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Our Evolutionism believers here try to run from the fatal problem of Spontaneous Generation by complaining that "Creationists just don't understand me". Bottom line: Life is mathematically certain to be the product of Intelligent Design, while Darwin's Evolution has been rewritten several times and always with the same fatal flaws.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm not surprised. Hawking is an atheist, many other people have thought about the possibility of an afterlife and have come to the same conclusion. It is a Schrodinger's Cat kind of paradox, the afterlife is either there or nonexistent and we won't really know until we die and if there isn't the end.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I still don't get Hawkings latest idea: the universe "created itself".

At some point you have to get from literally nothing... to something. Sorry, but that's impossible.

Not even Hawking, or Chuck Norris, could do it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is going to sound pretty cold, but, to be honest, look at the guy. I mean, seriously, think about how awful it would be to live like him when you're smart enough and were old enough when the symptoms set in to actually have a good idea of what you've been missing. In his shoes, I'd be so bitter that I'd be an Atheist by default.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by goldentorch
reply to post by Nola213

However I think Mr. Hawkins (given his credentials and how many people revere him) should not make such concrete statements on life and death and heaven and hell. Because of his "station in life" it carries alot of weight and may impact people. So he is "pushing his beliefs on people" by just stateting them. It's just poor form imo.

Yet the leaders of all religions, most with only qualifications and understanding within ancient texts ie; their own religions can in their positions of influence make as many concrete statements as they wish

edit on 17/5/11 by goldentorch because: (no reason given)

Well what your describing is like "preaching to the choir. These people already believe in what they're being told.

But "Pushing" your religious beliefs on others that have differing beliefs is my gripe here (if they arent causeing any serious harm to anyone) leave them be. Arguing over religion leads to these Holy Wars that have been raging since the probably the beginning of man. The Inca's who worshipped thier dead, and weren't hurting anyone by it, but were forced into Christianity, and thier anscestors(mummies) were burned, and future dead were buried...ect,ect. That is an example of pushing, well forcing your religion on a group that has different beliefs and that is a terrible thing to do, it's just not right.

I mean all these religions believe in the "thou shall not kill" pretty much. But what, if your Killing in your Gods Name, it's ok? That's quite sick.

"Live and let Live", as the saying goes. Again unless your religion condones killing people or any other cruel heineous acts that interfere with others day to day lifes, let them be.., I say.

If it's a television evangalist program; fine I can change the channel, but when "certain Religions" have thier people knock on my door, and harrass me, being very pushy about me becoming a believer in their religion it really puts me off.

I believe everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. And no one should try and force thier beliefs on others. It's just poor form and someones need to always be right. Very big Ego's these people have.

But if your preaching to the choir have at it.

But stating things as "Facts" when we are talking about a subject which doesn't require Fact, quite the opposite, it requires faith, just rubs me the wrong way.

Just as Hawkin has no facts to back his claims up. I have none to back mine. Nor do ANY religions, they just have old stories passed down, and faith. But with him being akin to the modern day Einstein; well his beliefs carry a heck of alot more weight than the average person, and he should take that into account, beforemakeing such concrete statements as there is definitely no Heaven, or Afterlife.

That was the only point I was trying to make. I hope I did not offend anyone or thier beliefs.
edit on 17-5-2011 by Nola213 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by subby

Originally posted by Bkrmn
As brilliant as Mr Hawking is, would he be as well known outside his field if it wasn't for the wheelchair? Too many people accept his word as gospel, and if they weren't before, will now be carrying with them an unecessary fear of death for the rest of their lives.
Personally I believe in creation, but I most certainly don't believe in a god as taught by organized religion. I'm sure the Catholic Church had to have been the first to use "mind control" to keep the believers, believing! For the past couple of thousand years, they have been experts at using the fear of death, and the Hell in which they'll be spending eternity if they step out of line!
Besides having had several experiences with spirits/ghosts as a child, at the age of nineteen I had a short visit to the "other side". I know what I seen, and it was beautiful! I've heard all the arguments against an afterlife, yet few came from medical professionals who deal with death on a daily basis, and for good reason!

Hi. A few responses, if that's okay.
Do you also think that Einstein's large nose was responsible for his success?
People should have a fear of death, for it is the end of their life. If they have some sense they'll try not to waste their short time here.
I'm a "medical professional" and have been for a decade, dealing with death on a daily basis, and have encountered no examples of anything "spiritual".

Your bizarre and antisemitic swipe at Einstein aside, you need to publish on your lack of such experience. Maybe you can overturn Dr.Margaret Mead whose own experience fervently convinced her of the Supernatural.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaticDill

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by Brown Bear
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I agree, the Christian Heaven is a fairy tale and doesn't fit into the grand scheme of things

The modern interpretation..

As I said, Jesus seemed to have something altogether more essential and practical, and loving, in mind, than what modern Christians assume. For all we know, the eternal life offered by Jesus Christ is so far reaching in its breadth and depth of imagination, that we fail to recognize it effecacy and application, in our very midst.. Me I think he was talking about a type of causation with all the tree and fruit and vineyard and harvest talk, something eternally present already aways, where the good meets the good for goodness sake, cleaving away that which isn't fruitful.. right now.

I think many of us in our ignorance simply assume too much right out of the gate so to speak, and in the process never make it to the real gateway of eternal life that could very well be our true condition in eternity already, even at this very moment ("the kingdom of heaven is here, now.")

Behold! Yes, for many among us, there is good reason to rejoice! Sad that Hawking is counting himself outside of our celebration, at this stage in our collective human evolution, way to go dude and we were willing to overlook outward appearances for the sake of a common bond we share in God's eternal heavenly household.

His Reply
"Life. Is. Meaningless and without - purpose."
(heard in Stephen Hawking's computer voice speaking as if it is the very voice of God)

Now aint that something?

Well, it aint nothing, that's for sure.

Too bad there are so few who even care to try to begin to understand, that's what freaks me out - what will you all do when I'm gone?!

edit on 17-5-2011 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

At some point you have to get from literally nothing... to something. Sorry, but that's impossible.

Not even Hawking, or Chuck Norris, could do it.

It might very well have, and obviously knew what it was doing, since thought impulse or even a whim preceeds all manifest form and destiny... which would mean that the thinker who thought it up is still around, behind the scenes behind the scenes, maybe even with the desire, the urge or the whim to rediscover himself, his original self, through his own creation ie: you and me..

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSkullOfDeath

Originally posted by subby

Originally posted by Bkrmn
As brilliant as Mr Hawking is, would he be as well known outside his field if it wasn't for the wheelchair? Too many people accept his word as gospel, and if they weren't before, will now be carrying with them an unecessary fear of death for the rest of their lives.
Personally I believe in creation, but I most certainly don't believe in a god as taught by organized religion. I'm sure the Catholic Church had to have been the first to use "mind control" to keep the believers, believing! For the past couple of thousand years, they have been experts at using the fear of death, and the Hell in which they'll be spending eternity if they step out of line!
Besides having had several experiences with spirits/ghosts as a child, at the age of nineteen I had a short visit to the "other side". I know what I seen, and it was beautiful! I've heard all the arguments against an afterlife, yet few came from medical professionals who deal with death on a daily basis, and for good reason!

Hi. A few responses, if that's okay.
Do you also think that Einstein's large nose was responsible for his success?
People should have a fear of death, for it is the end of their life. If they have some sense they'll try not to waste their short time here.
I'm a "medical professional" and have been for a decade, dealing with death on a daily basis, and have encountered no examples of anything "spiritual".

Your bizarre and antisemitic swipe at Einstein aside, you need to publish on your lack of such experience. Maybe you can overturn Dr.Margaret Mead whose own experience fervently convinced her of the Supernatural.

Accusing me of being antisemitic is nothing short of desperate and pathetic. I'm not even going to justify your comment by taking it seriously. There isn't anything for me to publish; people live and then they die, that's it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

At some point you have to get from literally nothing... to something. Sorry, but that's impossible...

Could you tell us what exactly you mean by nothing sir... where do you get the idea that you have to start with nothing? could you show us an example of starting with nothing and ending up with something

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveEquation

It's only possible if it never existed to begin with. like, for example, the Holodeck in Star Trek. It looks real, it feels real, it behaves real, but it's not really even there.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Hey OP and all, think a majority of Brits are undecided on God. Hawking will have to wait for awhile before meeting his maker. Whomever the maker is? As for me?, well I'll play it safe and remain RC. (what a chicken --who-a).

Decoy

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

www.guardian.co.uk

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts, Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.

Hawking, who was diagnosed with motor neurone disease at the age of 21, shares his thoughts on death, human purpose and our chance existence in an exclusive interview with the Guardian today.

The incurable illness was expected to kill Hawking within a few years of its symptoms
(visit the link for the full news article)

This only proves One thing. That Hawking really IS as stupid as a doorknocker. This has nothing to do with any real science theoretical or otherwise. Hawking is just pissed that God made him out to be half a man with half a brain.

This is not the first time he has made such statements. Hawking is making statements out of pure emotionalism. He has an axe to grind. There is no science behind the proof that heaven does not exist.

I submit that Hawking does not exist. He was invented by the British because they needed a brilliant scientist, I see them do it all the time on Dr Who.
edit on 18-5-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: edit

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The existence of life after death or a god or goddess can not be proven or dis-proven. There is no way to prove any of those things without dieing. They are a matter of faith. Science is wonderful and so is religion. Personally without some kind of faith in something of that sort would make the universe a cold and dis-heartening place. With all the strange and unexplainable things in this world it is very hard not to believe in something after this existence. I seriously doubt that every person in the entire world who has seen something unexplainable is delusional or hallucinating. Even if just one percent of the unexplained things people have seen were proven true it would still point to something after this plane of existence. I believe that there exists higher powers and that not everything in this universe is explainable by the rigors of modern science.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
No surprise there.
I am a huge groupie of science, and don't follow any religion, that said, I've seen spirits, take it or leave it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not bonkers.
If Stevo doesn't have a rational explanation for it, then so be it...the universe it as wonderfully chaotic in its nature as it is ordered......we can't define all the symmetries it has in this life time.

Most awesome answer ever

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

That was wicked-funny; made both me and the wife
for a minute there..!!

Well done on the injection of humor into an otherwise depressing thread!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Somebody really ought to slap this guy. If it weren't for somebody having a belief in god or heaven and the rewards of living a moral existence he wouldn't even be here. The nurse would of just placed a blanket over his face at birth and let him starve to death. Seriously. Bloody ingrate!!!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I agree with Stephen Hawking

There is no angels in white robes with wings.

There is no gate to heaven that you knock on.

There is no Saint Peter to judge you.

And if you believe all the other stories heaven sounds like a boring place.

I am a Christian Deist and while i believe in god you can take all the other mystical BS and shove it as religious BS.

"Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?"

By the way Stephen Hawking is a well known Deist.
webcache.googleusercontent.com...:SmlMnOq9rXoJ:www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_deist.html+deist+Stephen+Hawking&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&g l=us&source=www.google.com
edit on 18-5-2011 by ANNED because: bristwe

edit on 18-5-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join