It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

While I admire Dr Hawking very much,

I have to wonder if some of his opinion is due to his condition. Cant say I blame him.

He is entitled to it though. My opinion of him isnt diminished in the least.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamthatiam
I can say without a doubt that we continue on after "death". Hummm maybe it should be called our "new beginning".
Our spirit DOES continue on. Yes- I died once (in this life time) That's how I know.........been there done that kind of a thing.. indescribable in human terms. Close with "unconditional love" but it is as close as you get yet still a million miles away from what it is. Heaven---yes...and no. Not like it is written in the bible but it is like coming home. So amazing.........

I am also a lead investigator on our paranormal group........we continue on people!!!!! Death is Not the end. It's just the next step in our journey.

Are you an organic life-form or a spiritiual life-form? I know i am organic life-form because i can prove it...but can you show us that you are a spiritial life-form? or you are both?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DOUGH3914
Actually science already tapped a part of the next level by measuring the light you body gives off. Not spiritual aye? If anyone of us was to take a picture in uv light guess what shows up at the top of you head.... A spiral. You guys be the judge but also do extensive research for we are in our universal stage of consciousness.

Granted, I skimmed the thread, so please excuse me if someone else has already posted this. Regarding the bolded above, can you source this? My google search brought up what appears to be tutorials for rendering programs, I did not see anything pertaining to what you claim.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by jimnuggits
That "energy cannot be created nor destroyed" meme is a prime example of bad science, with the mainstream completely misunderstanding what that statement actually means and running off a cliff with their own interpretation without anyone from the scientific community straightening the confusion out. Then the new (wrong) version becomes an axiom, and it's never challenged again.

How can energy be created or destroyed? do you know what happens to particles at zero Kelvin? do they freeze, vanish into other states or form? does pressure become zero? does life stop to exist at zero Kelvin? Does energy stop to exist at zero kelvin? Is it possible to create and destroy energy above zero Kelvin???

Read experiments on super conductors and know the theory and the evidence and stop talkin no-sense

The 1st Law of thermodynamiocs is where that statement comes from. Period. That said, this law does not pertain to eternal physical existence. You can believe whatever you want, but that statement is a bastardization as it's used by most people, and by the MSM at large.

I can prove that infinite physical existence (no beginning and no end) is logically impossible, but that takes a lot more than I'm going to indulge you with here. My book (link below) does all that heavy lifting if you really give a damn about the issue. If not, then believe in a holy, almighty energizer bunny.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I can't believe this thread has so many flags.

Honestly... Stephen Hawking saying there is no afterlife is like the Pope saying there is an afterlife.

It really shouldn't surprise anyone.

I fear that once again, as always, people are going to take this as reason enough to change their belief system- "Well Stephen Hawkings says so, and he's smart, so he must be right!!!!".

Honestly... take this as we should take everything- with an open mind.

Figure out the answers yourself- don't look to others to answer life's questions for you; look within yourself to find the answers.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Exactly what I expected to haer from this guy
He is entitled to his opinion no matter how wrong it is.
Too bad he will find out the truth when he meets his maker, unless he opens his mind before it's too late..
and yes this is my opinion; like i said, we all have them
edit on 16-5-2011 by AmericanDaughter because: added a couple of words

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Perhaps it is this conversation, this mixing of so many different experiences, perspectives, that the universe has conspired to have us all here together to enjoy.

Why is it that scientists never acknowledge the fact that they have no way of factoring consciousness, and religions have no ability to update their thinking based on current observations.

I mean, Scientists worship the rock strata, and the church worships the rock, but neither can describe the stone.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
I think he's right, we are biological not spiritual entities.

Are you sure about that? If you are a person who likes philosophical conversation and debate, the core element to such discussions is the search for the spiritual. Questions such as "who are we?", "where do we come from?", and "what elements were smashed together to create consciousness?" are spiritualistic in nature. Although we can come up with a scientific explanation for awareness, the 'sensations' behind love, curiosity, and yearning are a different matter. Psychology and biology can only go so far to explain our existence and behaviors.

What is dreaming?
What is love?
What is curiosity?
What am I?

If religion didn't exist in this world, my conscious existence would lack meaning. Even though religion was originally conceived to stave off fear (death and lack of control), it has started to evolve and blend with science. Regardless about what religious sects try to do, science and religion will eventually end up on the same playing field.

Bible = the fundamental explanation to our existence.
Science = the complex explanation to our existence.

Book of Genesis = the fundamental cliff notes to how life came into being.
Science = the complex explanation to the cliff notes, which religion had laid down fundamentally.

Philosophy would not exist if human beings were not interested in the metaphysical.

Do you sometimes stop and ask, "Is there more to our existence?"

edit on 16-5-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I think this truly is an excellent point. There is an "other side". I know because I've seen the transition between just walking up up previous sleep. That transition and indeed allow a quick glimpse of the spirit world. Now I don't know all that goes on for sure. But I don't think on the other side beings really want to step in and interrupt unless there is is some specific purpose. I sure couldn't see very well but it is obvious there truly is a spirit world. I wouldn't be surprised that spirits do medical procedures with spiritual- medical tools for beings that need help. But I am not sure .

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
reply to post by NorEaster

His qualifications as a physicist and cosmologist make him more qualified to determine the existence of a magical afterlife than more 99%. of the population. If he doesn't think it exists, I'm more likely to believe him based on his credentials alone. His thoughts on the existence of some dimension or alternate reality which might be heaven could probably be considered an expert opinion.

His focus is particle-based, and that limits him fataly when he wanders outside of that realm. He's like a thoroughbred racehorse hooked up to a plow, when looking into the outer reaches of metaphysics. Especially when you consider how professionally invested in the traditional sciences he is. His career depends on dismissing anything that isn't supported by particle science. I never trust anyone whose paycheck depends on a point of view.

Remove the fact that he's physically crippled and has to use a computer to talk. Also keep in mind that his books were written so that the layman could understand them if that helps you gauge his qualification, because inside that crippled body resides a powerful mind which is very active.

It's a mind that hasn't been capable of breaking out of the dead end trajectory that particle physics has recently found itself mired within. He's brilliant, but he's no genius. He's also not capable of seeing what he doesn't expect to see. To answer the question of whether there is or isn't an afterlife, he'd have to be capable of walking off on what's been his whole life's work. I haven't seen any indication that he's even investigated the issue with any effort whatsoever.
edit on 5/16/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Asking a scientist a question about matters of faith , is the same as asking a plumber for a recipe on butter tarts

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I respect his achievements in science and he has surely contributed a lot.

However, while I don't buy into much of religion (abrahamic ones anyway), you can't categorically say that there is no spirituality at all, and he shouldn't use his position to say otherwise or peddle any beliefs, just the 'facts' (rather theories and observations).

"There is no afterlife" is a very wide-sweeping statement that may well be incorrect with our current knowledge both scientifically and as a result of the limit of the knowledge as human beings (in other words, do we even have the capacity to understand it fully).

In order to make this assertion as a scientist he would have to prove that there is no afterlife, which simply isn't possible. Until he dies, in which case it'll be too late anyway.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If you look at Steven Hawking himself, the man is going through a series of inner conflicts.

Click For Image and Article
Look at that picture. As someone who is into psychology, I can tell he is filled with some inner conflict. Does Steven blame God for his condition; thus, he is trying to express his anger through rejection? Who knows? Some people internally accept God's existence, but they push him away because life has become raw and mundane.

Twenty dollars says Steven is a Christian.

edit on 16-5-2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Never mind Hawking, who is entitled to his view, but he may be Illuminati, for all we know. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth, though it will sound daft: Please look at an image of the Earth's electromagnetic field and the Sun. It looks to me like the Earth is trapped in the grip of an evil octopus, whose centre forms a kind of torus, or donut shape. Some say that the divine energy of our Heavenly Father flows toward Earth using the Sun as a conduit, and solar flares are actually trying to FREE us from the grip of the octopus, which seized us all in ancient times, in order to trap all the beauty of the natural world, turning its positive energy into negative energy, harvesting negative energy from humans and all life forms by causing pain, fear, anger, violence and depravity. We are spiritual beings trapped here, circling round and round, each in our own tiny section of the torus, trapped by the fallen angel called by many names, the one who creates all the evil in the world, and yet we all blame our Heavenly Father in daily curses using His name. The Dark Forces want to cut us off from the Sun, and from the beauty of the natural world which links us so closely to our Heavenly Father, by making us afraid of the Sun, by using "cancer scares", chemtrails for "Global Dimming", satanic symbolism in movies and music, and technology like computers and televison to keep us all indoors, and always looking down at our ipods when outdoors. At the same time, NASA images show UFOs attacking our Sun, which seems to be throwing out flares in self-defence.

We must help the Sun to reach us, to break through these electromagnetic prison bars, loosen the grip of the satanic octopus, by sending out our own positive energy, and the positive energy of all the glorious natural world around us, back towards the Sun, the conduit to our Heavenly Father. This WAS the Garden of Eden, but it was invaded by the Dark Forces long ago, and they are growing ever more bold. And for those who have abandoned Christianity because of the violence and injustice of the god of the Old Testament, please look at the ideas of Marcion of Sinope. Thank you for taking time to read this, and think about it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveEquation

Well since you asked----I and (we- the people) are 2 parts to a whole. We are physical (organic) and we all have our spirit. Our physical (organic)is what we leave behind when we die. Our spirit is our essence. It is all that we are without physical restraints.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Zero evidence for heaven or an after life
Zero evidence for your god(s)
Zero evidence for the tooth fairy...

If you postulate something that doesn't satisfy the scientific method, it's probably just BS...Sorry, kiddos, but science doesn't bend that way. A theorem, unlike an axiom or postulate, exists only if a proof can be given for the statement

Steven Hawking is not in the wrong and despite his disabilities, he's accomplished so much more than all of you will. I bet he'd be amused to see how his statements have left so many people here butt-hurt.

It's nice to speculate about possibilities...Heck, it might even ease your conscious to think there is something more waiting for you. The human ego is a hard thing to kill when you're alive...but trust me, death is the same for everyone and every living thing on the face of the planet. No one has ever come back from the dead. At least not anyone that has been dead for more than a day. I know there are exceptional cases, but it's not something that can be reproduced with consistent results.

When people say that energy cannot be created nor destroyed doesn't simultaneously mean that your consciousness will live on as it is. How can it? We do not have substantial evidence that it does. When you decompose, your body will help generate new life.

The circle of life..I suppose...
edit on 16-5-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monts
I can't believe this thread has so many flags.

Honestly... Stephen Hawking saying there is no afterlife is like the Pope saying there is an afterlife.

It really shouldn't surprise anyone.

I fear that once again, as always, people are going to take this as reason enough to change their belief system- "Well Stephen Hawkings says so, and he's smart, so he must be right!!!!".

Honestly... take this as we should take everything- with an open mind.

Figure out the answers yourself- don't look to others to answer life's questions for you; look within yourself to find the answers.

Dear Monts,

I like your answer. I don't seek to justify my faith by what an atheist says and I wouldn't expect them to come to faith because of what I said. Hawkings just like to get in the news, in my opinion.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

No you can't say something is false just because you haven't found the proof for it - you admit you just don't know (perhaps yet).
edit on 16-5-2011 by AR154 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
"Everything you can imagine is real"

Pablo Picasso

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
According to some fringe ufo sites, there is a soul catcher on the moon and the reptillians use humans for body fluids and to harvest souls that they sell to the galactic market for money.

How many people think this is credible?

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join