It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

No.
That is all if you cannot figure that much out ... whatever.
And then I get called a troll.

You guys are just too much.

Bye.
Enjoy your distorted little world.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

The next religion? Quantum physics.
If people educated themselves on the discoveries being made daily regarding the nature of existence, it would fill them with a sense of wonder tenfold the that which the intoxication of old school religion elicits.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by v0ice0freas0n
reply to post by Tephra

The next religion? Quantum physics.
If people educated themselves on the discoveries being made daily regarding the nature of existence, it would fill them with a sense of wonder tenfold the that which the intoxication of old school religion elicits.

I couldn't have said it better my friend. star for you buddy

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by anumohi

I experienced this at the death of my sister. It was observed by 6 people, we were stunned at what we witnessed.

Stephen Hawking is a dying man. He has stated quite a lot in the last couple of years that folks should take with a grain of salt,

Actually, I wish his words were taken with profound society impacting acceptance...
I want to live in a society where people think they simply die...then they may take seriously the act of killing people. Its easy to kill people when you think your basically just helping them shed their skin.

Also longevity and personal happiness may take the forefront of our society...wanting to finally live in that eutopian world we are capable of creating but not seeming to focus on currently.

We might even have a couple extra buildings standing in NYC and less potholes in the middle east if the world thought like this.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
spiritually does exist its just that Stephen Hawking never experienced it, and why should we care what Stephen Hawking says?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Bio-computers arising by chance into a self-producing universe, for me, takes just as much faith, if not more, than belief in a creator OF SOME KIND. While "heaven" is certainly debatable, I think "re-occurrence" would not be improbable.

You are talking about abiogenesis here ?
Steven Hawking is a physicist & cosmologist not a biologist.

Did you even try to read the article ?
Because a lot of people seem to not understand the different between biology and cosmology.

No, It was in reference to Hawking's idea that we are merely computers (in a universe having occurred by accident). Yeah, I can read

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LikeDuhObviously
reply to post by SaturnFX

No.
That is all if you cannot figure that much out ... whatever.
And then I get called a troll.

You guys are just too much.

Bye.
Enjoy your distorted little world.

Positivism asserts that the only authentic knowledge is that which is based on sense, experience and positive verification. As an approach to the philosophy of science deriving from Enlightenment thinkers such as Henri de Saint-Simon and Pierre-Simon Laplace, Auguste Comte saw the scientific method as replacing metaphysics in the history of thought, observing the circular dependence of theory and observation in science. Sociological positivism was later reformulated by Émile Durkheim as a foundation to social research. At the turn of the 20th century the first wave of German sociologists, including Max Weber and Georg Simmel, rejected the doctrine, thus founding the antipositivist tradition in sociology. Later antipositivists and critical theorists have associated positivism with "scientism"; science as ideology.

Distorted world of facts here on earth.

enjoy your retreat back to other /b/oards yo.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
you remember the old term captain Kirk used when he needed a lift? "beam me up scotty"
well that's it in a nutshell, where we travel to after we are released from our vessel i haven't a clue, but what lives within is most definitely real and can travel beyond our comprehension

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The universe was created by a peanut wearing a tophat and cane.

There is no proof that it wasn't, therefore it probably was.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
you remember the old term captain Kirk used when he needed a lift? "beam me up scotty"
well that's it in a nutshell, where we travel to after we are released from our vessel i haven't a clue, but what lives within is most definitely real and can travel beyond our comprehension

Is that your belief, or are you stating that as a objective fact?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

objective fact

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

objective fact

I assume then you will submit to this thread the peer reviewed articles that demonstrate what you have said...

Otherwise, I will counter your "objective fact" with my own "objective fact" that we are actually soul plants...when we die, some interdimensional goblins stick a straw into our heads and suck us up to eat them..hense why you hear lots of people discussing the "tunnel"...its actually the straw...the feeling of tranquility is actually just the effects from the galactic straw in your head...yes, we are ultimately just food...our destination when we die is to be digested by these interdimensional goblin jerks...then we blank out after a few thousand years of mind boggling pain due to the cosmic digestive juices assulting our soul

Now...which one is the correct outcome...my objective fact, or yours?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
He's in for a pretty big shock. There is a heaven and a hell.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
If Stephen Hawkins says that he isn't going to heaven, then I believe him.
However, it would be helpful if he only spoke for himself and not EVERYONE.
It is after all, just another Scientific THEORY.
Yet he speaks like it's FACT.
His ego and arrogance knows no bounds to speak on behalf of 6 Billion odd souls.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Mechanism / materialism are the best arguments for tyranny, torture, pedophilia, rape, slavery, and genocide. After all, if we only exist for the duration of our physical lives, why not kill to have the most toys, power over others, sexual conquests? If we're just complex machines and life is just the illusion of life, it doesn't matter at all, right? One just doesn't have compassion for inanimate objects, even if they have the appearance of being alive.

/

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Stephen Hawkins is entitled to his point of view.. but Id like to comment on this...

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.

Way to generalize, Mr Hawking. Surely, there cannot exist a religious person who does not fear death.

link   

objective fact

I assume then you will submit to this thread the peer reviewed articles that demonstrate what you have said...

Otherwise, I will counter your "objective fact" with my own "objective fact" that we are actually soul plants...when we die, some interdimensional goblins stick a straw into our heads and suck us up to eat them..hense why you hear lots of people discussing the "tunnel"...its actually the straw...the feeling of tranquility is actually just the effects from the galactic straw in your head...yes, we are ultimately just food...our destination when we die is to be digested by these interdimensional goblin jerks...then we blank out after a few thousand years of mind boggling pain due to the cosmic digestive juices assulting our soul

Now...which one is the correct outcome...my objective fact, or yours?

you have yours more thought out than mine, so I'd have to say mine

link   
reply to post by Flighty

Hawking doesn't even believe in consciousness. In fact in scientific circles it has been called the "C word".

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
He's in for a pretty big shock. There is a heaven and a hell.

Prove it

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by grizzle2

Mechanism / materialism are the best arguments for tyranny, torture, pedophilia, rape, slavery, and genocide. After all, if we only exist for the duration of our physical lives, why not kill to have the most toys, power over others, sexual conquests? If we're just complex machines and life is just the illusion of life, it doesn't matter at all, right? One just doesn't have compassion for inanimate objects, even if they have the appearance of being alive.

/

then whats holding you back??? getcha some

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join