It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123

A better analogy is when the wood burns and it disappears, but as a source of energy it is still here as smoke in the atmoshere.

It has simply changed form.
Right, I know that, but that wasn't my point. I know that the energy will be transferred into something else. I understand the conservation of energy, but it wont retain any memory.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
Man, even if Stephen Hawkwins' only farted it'd still make the news. Okay, he has an amazing mind but who cares if he says there's no heaven? Why is his opinion about heaven so important? He's probably right but so what? Is his opinion on this really worth 27 pages and counting?

I don't think the man is as smart as people make him out to be. He is just a spokeperson for the illuminati status quo. They tell him what to say and he reads the teleprompter just like obama and bush. The fact he is a paraplegic means people will feel sorry for him and likely give him the benefit of the doubt in everything without critical analysis in anything.

Hollywood makes both stephen hawkings and carl sagan look like shills and fools. I am pretty sure they know they are spouting bs whenever they open their mouths but they must be getting paid very well to do so.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I wonder if Hawkings ever read about the famous last words of his contemporary Atheist Brit Hume?

"Help me, I am in the flames"

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This is my first post on this site. Lots of thought prevoking material here. Anyways, this is a contraversial topic to say the least. I believe there will never be an "earthly" answer to the question. Keep in mind though, we will ALL in time learn the truth about our afterlife or lack thereof. I like what spacedonk said about science being a tool for understanding, not a tool for creating what we seek to understand. It's a classic case of function following form or vice versa. This topic, in my opinion, is essentially a spiritual one. Paradoxially, I will do my best to keep my religious views to a minimum. I love and respect science and it is capable of explaining much of the world around us. This, unfortunately is not one of them.

It is a question of faith when it comes down to it. Some put their faith in religion, some in science. I believe both schools of thought have much merit. Each have their own stongsuits and purpose really. To those who base all their beliefs and their existence on scientific principles such as: hypothesis, theory, data, measurability, repeatibility, and proof (all very necessary in an earthly respect), I ask you this question...can you use these toprove that you love your mother, your wife or husband? Really think about this for a minute. Don't look at your actions to prove this, as you could certainly do these things, albeit begrudgingly, for someone you didn't love. Think about the actual feeling itself. It is a real feeling, even a living, exsisting thing, an energy if you will. This cannot be measured with a computer, quantified with any formula, or proven or disproven by any scientist. I bet Stephen Hawking loves his mother...ask him to use the scientific method to prove it.

My point is, there are things that we all know in our hearts really exist and are very real to us. Many of these things cannot be seen, touched, or scanned into you computer and codified. It doesn't mean that they are not powerful and real.

Do you love your mother?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisT

And as far as memory goes, it's stored in the cortex of the brain. You have sensory, short term, and long term. And if you're saying that the brain is the soul, well, again, it wont have any memory of it's past life, just like the computer wont register smoke as a memory source of a burnt up hard drive.

You are accepting rules for something we don't understand yet (memory) and making up rules for something that hasn't even been proven to exist (soul).

You are referencing the Atkinson-Shiffrin (sensory, long, short, etc) model which is just one of many. The truth is we have no proof of where (if anywhere) memory is located.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Goes to prove you can be intelligent but fall into the trap of believing your own hype-he's in for one hell of a shock.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatrae

That will be many peoples greatest realization and shame that they put themselves there. I guarantee the devil wondered how could this happen after he was cast out..

And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
No one knows, i am very curious

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well ok..... If you ask me i think Stephen Hawking is just bitter.
And btw he is wrong because we are energy and energy does not die it only changes.
As far as Heaven and what one believes it is a matter of faith both ways and no one will know until they die.

A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story" for people afraid of death, Stephen Hawking has said.
that again is not true. I believe in an afterlife but i do not fear death.
Come to think of it i came close to death no less then 6 times in my life and only 1 time was i afraid and that was when i almost drown.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

If he is certain, he wont mind being hooked up to monitors and killed for say 10 min and then brought back. He could prove his hypothesis to everyone then.

Hey thats good science. Being the first to prove it.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Many posters here accuse Hawkins of being certain that there is no heaven but at the same time they are acting as if they are certain that heaven exists without the provision of any proof. This is called bigotry.

If religious people are so certain of the existence of heaven and feel no doubts about their beliefs then Hawkins' statement should have no impact on them and it should not ignite any feelings of anger, contempt and insecurity. This does not appear to be the case here though.
edit on 16/5/2011 by Longdead33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

And as far as memory goes, it's stored in the cortex of the brain. You have sensory, short term, and long term. And if you're saying that the brain is the soul, well, again, it wont have any memory of it's past life, just like the computer wont register smoke as a memory source of a burnt up hard drive.

You are accepting rules for something we don't understand yet (memory) and making up rules for something that hasn't even been proven to exist (soul).

You are referencing the Atkinson-Shiffrin (sensory, long, short, etc) model which is just one of many. The truth is we have no proof of where (if anywhere) memory is located.
So you're saying that memory isn't stored in the brain, and can be stored, say, in your foot?

Regardless of "where exactly in the brain" memory is stored, it's stored in the brain. This changes nothing.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by GunzCoty

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham

Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

So you're saying that memory isn't stored in the brain, and can be stored, say, in your foot?

Regardless of "where exactly in the brain" memory is stored, it's stored in the brain. This changes nothing.

Again, that's an assumption. We know you are not able to recall memories without certain parts of your brain but that does not mean your memory is stored there. You can't recall memory if you have no heart but that does not mean it is stored in your heart.

There is truly no proof, whatsoever, of memories being actually contained in the brain. We can only prove that the brain facilitates the recollection of memories.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The beautiful thing about Hawking's statement is that he is no more fundamentally able to prove his assertion that heaven doesn't exist than someone else can prove that it does exist: it's a zero-sum mental exercise, with no solution.

Before someone tosses in the old argument "what's your evidence [for or against] heaven?" think about this: how could I (or you) prove to a third-party that we are not just some computer somewhere running a Turning test on our fellow ATS members, if the only communication we shared was via this website in text form?

I know I'm here, but what about all you other might-be robots? Similarly, I have my opinions on heaven, hell and such too, but I'll keep them to myself.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I haven't the time to read through all 28 pages of this thread so I apologize of this has been previously mentioned.

Dr. Jeffrey Long wrote an amazing book called Evidence of the Afterlife in which the accounts of numerous Near Death Experiences are documented. The evidence is overwhelming.

I strongly encourage anyone who is interested to check out the following documentary on the subject:

www.youtube.com...

Even more overwhelming is the work being undertaken out of the University of Virginia. Dr. Jim Tucker, a colleague of the Late Dr. Ian Stevenson, wrote a book entitled Life Before Life, which documents the specific and verifiable accounts of children from around the world who remember past lives.

A fantastic documentary on this subject is as follows:

www.youtube.com...

My point is that medical doctors have compiled overwhelming evidence that our personalities exist independent of these shells we carry around.

Poor Stephen Hawking. How could he not be aware of this research?

edit on 16-5-2011 by Reaching because: omitted text

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Again, that's an assumption. We know you are not able to recall memories without certain parts of your brain but that does not mean your memory is stored there. You can't recall memory if you have no heart but that does not mean it is stored in your heart.

There is truly no proof, whatsoever, of memories being actually contained in the brain. We can only prove that the brain facilitates the recollection of memories.
That's really the silliest thing I have ever heard. So if memories aren't stored in the brain, then can you show me these "other possibilities" that you speak of.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaticDill

You seem very knowledgeable about the old and new testaments, but what exactly do demons and angels mean to you? What does god and satan mean to you? Are they forms of exotic energy, are they quasi humans, are they space aliens, etc???

I think we need to stop parroting words and look for the real meanings. People think the bible is boring and I do NOT blame them.

I also do not appreciate science making a mockery of religion without bothering to explain anything in a way that makes sense. Thats why I said religion versus science is a false dichotomy. I personally believe religion WAS based on an ANCIENT intergallactic war among various alien species and it came "home" to roost on earth. Humans are not a product of natural evolution, such as the garbage darwanists claim, they are likely a product of artificial dna manipulation thousands of years ago.

Read the ancient astronaut hypotheis if you can handle it. Its probably light years closer to the truth!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Awesome, Hawking,

You annoy me as much as the people that knock on my door preaching there IS a heaven.

Look. Believe in what you want to believe in and leave the rest of us alone. Hitchens and Dawkins are just as annoying to me as Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I beg to differ. If you were in prison, would you want to imagine that that place is all you have in life now or will ever have? You make it sound like only religious people lie, cheat, steal, and murder and end up in prison. There are lots of priests and others who go to prisons to teach Christianity and give them hope, so I am guessing that is how so many in prison may turn to religion as a last resort. And maybe that's a good thing, as their soul has learned the lesson and in the next life may not make the same mistakes. I personally have believed in karma and reincarnation since I was 18. It just makes so much more sense of our existence. You atheists have no reason for being other than some chaotic primordial soup. The whole one life you die and there's nothing more concept just is so devoid of all understanding. People do tend to look for a meaning in life other than just eating and working to eat.
Tell me, though, if you thought that you would be doomed to an eternal cycle of making karma and reaping its bad consequences, wouldn't you want to clean up your act?
edit on 16-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join