It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
For mr hawking
The Blue or Red pill?
and what if we really are not real?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
That is why he is called the Living God.

The way, the truth, and the light.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of musick shall be brought low;

Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail: because man goeth to his long home, and the mourners go about the streets:

Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.

And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisT

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

Originally posted by leo123
Whenever I think of the potential for an after-life, I always think of Einstein's theory that energy is never created nor destroyed, it only changes form.

So given that the human brain and conscience is fired by electrical impulses, when we die those electrical impulses should not disappear, they should simply change form.
edit on 16-5-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)
I don't think it works that way. Take your hard drive(memory) out of your computer, put it in your fireplace, light it on fire, and bottle up all the smoke that came out of your hard drive. Now, put that smoke in your computer. Does your computer still have all the memory on the hard drive? I don't think so......
edit on 16-5-2011 by TravisT because: (no reason given)

I don't think the analogy is good because you are comparing physical with non physical, but if you want it to be a little more accurate, you would remove the hard drive out of the computer and throw the computer into the fire.
That makes no sense, because your brain is what stores your memories(which is physical). Once you die, both your brain and your body are gone.

The analogy was saying, that when your brain(memory) deteriorates, it looses it's memory, even though the energy will be recycled one way or another, just like the hard drive's energy was transferred into smoke. Just because it's transfers into another form, doesn't mean it retains the information/memory.

Actually, his analogy made perfect sense. The PC is the body and the HDD is the soul. We have yet to quantify how human memory works. There are no "memory cells" stored in "memory banks". Actually, the unsatisfactory explanation of memory by the scientific community is what inspired the "holographic theory". Basically, experiments suggests that every portion of the brain contains the same data of every other portion. It's just a transient medium to apply paint on.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
As an experiencer, alot of what he's said has been offf a tad, almost like he's on assignment. Whether this is his own personal opinion or those behind him doesn't matter.

I know, and my son had an nde, and not only did he return to his body, but he was 100% healed the minute he opened his eyes.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TravisT

Many religions, spiritual traditions, and philosophers believe that consciousness does not originate in the brain. Some believe it originates in the spirit or soul of an individual and that the brain acts like a receiver. The ego is the part that the brain masters/creates, and with it comes logic and analytical reasoning, as believed by some. This ego is simply a manifestation in a material sense of of the mind/spirit. Not saying that is truth, because objectively it cannot be proven.

There are others that believe the brain is what holds/creates consciousness, but that is not proven yet because science still has a hard time defining consciousness. What is consciousness, or more specifically, self-aware consciousness, and how does it come into being? If you know the answer to that then you would win a Nobel prize.

If you believe that the soul is the essence that holds memory, then memory continues corporal existence, which is way I said what I said in the analogy. Really when it comes down to it no one from either side knows for sure if there is life after death.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Im surprised with the level of genius this guy thinks with, that he doesnt see the bigger picture. He has, against all odds, surpassed where most people throw in the towel. Seeing past where most telescopes and people have ever seen using mathematics, what we know and his gifted imagination to string it together. Im actually disappointed to hear not just him, but most scholars of math and science doubt the existence of GOD. Maybe the single theory that pulls everything together cant be worked out on a calculator or realized by a science expieriment. I honestly believe we need math and science to understand most things, but a little faith can go a long way in these two fields.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Whenever I think of the potential for an after-life, I always think of Einstein's theory that energy is never created nor destroyed, it only changes form.

So given that the human brain and conscience is fired by electrical impulses, when we die those electrical impulses should not disappear, they should simply change form.
I don't think it works that way. Take your hard drive(memory) out of your computer, put it in your fireplace, light it on fire, and bottle up all the smoke that came out of your hard drive. Now, put that smoke in your computer. Does your computer still have all the memory on the hard drive? I don't think so......

I don't think the analogy is good because you are comparing physical with non physical, but if you want it to be a little more accurate, you would remove the hard drive out of the computer and throw the computer into the fire.
That makes no sense, because your brain is what stores your memories(which is physical). Once you die, both your brain and your body are gone.

The analogy was saying, that when your brain(memory) deteriorates, it looses it's memory, even though the energy will be recycled one way or another, just like the hard drive's energy was transferred into smoke. Just because it's transfers into another form, doesn't mean it retains the information/memory.

The computer would be your body, and the hard drive would be your brain. Why would you change the analogy to take a brain out, and burn the body?

A better analogy is when the wood burns and it disappears, but as a source of energy it is still here as smoke in the atmoshere.

It has simply changed form.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Man, even if Stephen Hawkwins' only farted it'd still make the news. Okay, he has an amazing mind but who cares if he says there's no heaven? Why is his opinion about heaven so important? He's probably right but so what? Is his opinion on this really worth 27 pages and counting?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADMX101
reply to post by spacedonk

Im surprised with the level of genius this guy thinks with, that he doesnt see the bigger picture. He has, against all odds, surpassed where most people throw in the towel. Seeing past where most telescopes and people have ever seen using mathematics, what we know and his gifted imagination to string it together. Im actually disappointed to hear not just him, but most scholars of math and science doubt the existence of GOD. Maybe the single theory that pulls everything together cant be worked out on a calculator or realized by a science expieriment. I honestly believe we need math and science to understand most things, but a little faith can go a long way in these two fields.

Maybe that says something about the theory of god. Through all the science and all the math, with the largest of telescopes and most powerful of microscopes, still not a single trace of god can be found.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
There is no way of caclulating your way to God. Thats why numerology is such a bad thing. It is not meant to be grasped by your own power because you cant, in reality nothing is done by your own power. Its all really an

Illusion the Bible calls it the Veil. Truly a infinite timeless piece of precision. To fufill Gods purpose.

For New Age Man,

Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There is only 1 thing that Hawking's knows for sure and that is: "That he cannot "WALK" over to the bar and get himself a drink"

...so, he wants everyone to be miserable and suffer in this life like he is, someone must pay for me being in the condition I am in....you can't be happy because I am not happy.........Screw Stephen Hawking....and NO, I don't believe in a biblical Heaven either....but I don't piss people off and make them miserable because I don't...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I dont know how Stephen Hawking can make a statement like that. He is stating this as fact so where is the evidence?
Or should i believe his statment based on faith as he is a scientist??? So there is no proof (sofar) there is life after death but where is the proof so far that there isnt?

link   

Originally posted by caladonea
He is wrong.....I have had my guardian Angel appear to me several times......I am a clean and sober person....not religious...but spiritual.....I know what I have truly experienced....our spirits and souls do not die...but just leave the human body and move on to another realm of existence.

It's like our human body is a house and our soul and spirit are the furniture.....we move out....to another house!

Religion is a satanic farce, but originally it did start off as an elohim project. Satan is very powerful. The greatest trick the devil played was convincing people he did not exist! Religion has become a nephelim project to the core. The peace sign and "hook them" signs represent the horns of satan. Sabath used to be the day of prayer and rest but pagans later transformed it to sunday...the worship of the sun/horus.

Also how many "controversial" books have been banned by jews, christians and muslims? Quite a few! Anything that talks about the annukaki, giants, nephelim has been banned. The controllers of this wretched planet want your full and unconditional obedience...hence the new world disorder!

link   
Only a computer thinks in terms of computers. not surprising from a person who's spent more years now as a machine than person. Almost seems to have a cynical attitude about him now. Wonder if he read somewhere that artificial bodies don't go to heaven?

edit on 16-5-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkwind.

No, it's not worth 27 pages but oh well, it's got 27 and more coming.

Hawking is welcome to his opinion as are all of you. All I ask is that each of you form your own opinion out of what you feel is right. What I can't handle is the idea that someone, could, probably will, give up whatever they currently believe just cuz this guy told you to. The guy is smart but he isnt all knowing. I have nothing against people who dont believe in religion or an almighty being but dont be sheep!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

The Devil's greatest trick is really to make man void his own salvation by denying the sacrafice.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

And he was casting out a devil, and it was dumb.

And it came to pass , when the devil was gone out , the dumb spake ; and the people wondered .

But some of them said , He casteth out devils through Beelzebub the chief of the devils.

And others, tempting him, sought of him a sign from heaven. But he, knowing their thoughts, said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation ; and a house divided against a house falleth .

If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall his kingdom stand, because ye say that I cast outdevils through Beelzebub.

And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your sons cast them out therefore shall they be your judges.

But if I with the finger of God cast ou tdevils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

When a strong man armed keepet hhis palace, his goods are in peace:

But when a stronger than he shall come upon him , and overcome him, he taketh from him all his armour wherein he trusted , and divideth his spoils.
edit on 16-5-2011 by EnigmaticDill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

Pictures? I've always wanted to see something like that. You must have pictures. Right?

edit on 5/16/2011 by ConspiricusTheoricus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Actually, his analogy made perfect sense. The PC is the body and the HDD is the soul. We have yet to quantify how human memory works. There are no "memory cells" stored in "memory banks". Actually, the unsatisfactory explanation of memory by the scientific community is what inspired the "holographic theory". Basically, experiments suggests that every portion of the brain contains the same data of every other portion. It's just a transient medium to apply paint on.
But my analogy has nothing to do with a soul, just the brain(memory). Even if there is a soul, when your brain deteriorates, the memory doesn't just seep into the ground, and store in the dirt. If there is a thing as a soul, it will have no recollection of your past life, or have any memory at all.

And as far as memory goes, it's stored in the cortex of the brain. You have sensory, short term, and long term. And if you're saying that the brain is the soul, well, again, it wont have any memory of it's past life, just like the computer wont register smoke as a memory source of a burnt up hard drive.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

I love Stephen Hawking, cool guy. But hasn't short sighted thinking like this hindered process before? Or at least tempted to?

"There's no air in the sky, only poison gasses. If we send a man up there, he'd die." This was said when they were trying out the air balloon for the first time ever. (They even sent up animals to make double sure.)

"You can't go faster then the speed of sound" they said, yet look at us now. My point in all of this is this: We just don't know. Maybe one day we'll realize that Heaven is just another dimension. Or maybe not. Until we have undeniable proof one way or the other, Stephen Hawking just doesn't know.

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join