It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Oh Mr. Hawking, all that intelligence and yet no vision.

I don't fear death Mr. Hawking. But one thing is for certain, there is always more.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaticDill
reply to post by SaturnFX

The reason this is I belive is because hardcore "bible thumpers" are fundamentalist , which is for good reason, its what gives real preachers their saltiness to preach the word because they understand it. A man of God knows to fear God. If they truly are, and you will know who is.

You deviate from the word you decieve yourself which is why it says take anything from these words and so.

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and fromthe things which are written in this book.

Also the King James being written in Old English which is the closest translation to the Textus Receptus. It has the same effect as when you read Hebrew, you brain better understands in symbols and knowing interpretation.

So, basically, when you speak in king james speech, it demonstrates your totally brainwashed into that particular corruption of the bible...gotcha.

The biblical God is far better than your god btw, that one states 'be not afraid". your god demands fear...meaning your god is petty and small, bestowing fear of punishment for worship
even a wolf has the the common courtesy to put on sheeps clothing.

Anyhow, I reckon my fearlessness of your bully god is probably more honorable than your conditional "love" for the bully considering it appears to be only based on fear. once fear is gone, so it loyalty.
Should your god try to earn my respect, I am all ears...but I don't respect bullys overall, nobody should...and I don't respect those that kneel out of fear. God gave you feet and a mind...stand on them and use it

(best way to counter nonsense is to speak it)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123
Whenever I think of the potential for an after-life, I always think of Einstein's theory that energy is never created nor destroyed, it only changes form.

So given that the human brain and conscience is fired by electrical impulses, when we die those electrical impulses should not disappear, they should simply change form.
edit on 16-5-2011 by leo123 because: (no reason given)
I don't think it works that way. Take your hard drive(memory) out of your computer, put it in your fireplace, light it on fire, and bottle up all the smoke that came out of your hard drive. Now, put that smoke in your computer. Does your computer still have all the memory on the hard drive? I don't think so......
edit on 16-5-2011 by TravisT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Are you suggesting all fundamentalists have Stockholm Syndrome?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him -Thomas Merton

Mr. Hawking is no more capable of telling the world who and what God is than the most devout of religious believers.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Are you suggesting all fundamentalists have Stockholm Syndrome?

Without a doubt.

The biblical god is a supernatural terrorist to man...consider his past actions...from slaughtering almost everyone, to slaughtering those whom think differently, to torture, slaughter, death, torture, etc etc etc...and then he breaths fire and demands fear, kneeling, and that he owns everything.

ya...sure, I wanna spend eternity with that guy. lol.

I do feel bad for fundamentalists though, the must live their entire existance quaking in their boots that their supernatural abuser may decide to one day torture them for the lulz and to prove to the devil some abstract point.

edit on 16-5-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

It's called cherry picking. They all do it. If they didn't, they would all be in jail burning chicks that read horoscopes or throwing stones at disobedient toddlers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer. But I also believe there is nothing in the bible that says it's 100% accurate. Heck, the "King James" stamp should be a big disclaimer saying "Read with a grain of salt".

Living literally through the bible would be chaos. And people are fearful of Sharia law?!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Its on you to take it for what its worth. Whats it worth it to you to know God.

You should be afraid of what you do not know. Because we having the Word of God written in our hearts know the difference between good and evil. You have a natural idea of what your doing to sin. I can prove it to you with nothing but the word.

For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Know you not, brothers, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisT

Whenever I think of the potential for an after-life, I always think of Einstein's theory that energy is never created nor destroyed, it only changes form.

So given that the human brain and conscience is fired by electrical impulses, when we die those electrical impulses should not disappear, they should simply change form.
I don't think it works that way. Take your hard drive(memory) out of your computer, put it in your fireplace, light it on fire, and bottle up all the smoke that came out of your hard drive. Now, put that smoke in your computer. Does your computer still have all the memory on the hard drive? I don't think so......

I don't think the analogy is good because you are comparing physical with non physical, but if you want it to be a little more accurate, you would remove the hard drive out of the computer and throw the computer into the fire.

A closer analogy (still rough) would be the computer is the body and the soul is the website (with an eternal subscription).
edit on 16-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaticDill
Its on you to take it for what its worth. Whats it worth it to you to know God.

You should be afraid of what you do not know. Because we having the Word of God written in our hearts know the difference between good and evil. You have a natural idea of what your doing to sin. I can prove it to you with nothing but the word.

For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Know you not, brothers, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives?

What I know is as follows
I was once a christian...now I am not.
What I felt was that being a christian, as I progressed through life, felt more and more like a dishonest and fearful move of superstition that countered rational thinking and what I knew in my heart was the answers.

Now that I am agnostic atheist, I feel I have come into what I am supposed to be.
If I die tomorrow, and there is some prickish judgemental god sitting in front of me demanding I suck because I ate shellfish or whatnot, then I can honestly say it is better to be in hell with people I enjoy being with than in heaven with such an asshat in command..

however, I "feel" that the biblical god is a corruption to the concept of god...that we must first and foremost be what we find is our truth and accept ourselves as just that. If you fear something, you do -not- respect it.
I fear terrorists with dirty bombs...guess what, I don't respect them..I want them dead.
Why would I feel any differently about a terrorist deity with a supernatural bomb?

if a deity truely was as you describe, (and my inner truth thinks the concept is completely preposterous and is actualy the symbology of the worst traits of primitive mankind), then its absolutely no loss. I cannot support such evil even if I truely was scared...and yes, most certainly yes, such a deity truely is the very definition of evil.
I will remain true to myself and seek only to work with those worthy of me and accept my seeking of truth over fear.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms

Originally posted by TravisT

I don't think the analogy is good because you are comparing physical with non physical, but if you want it to be a little more accurate, you would remove the hard drive out of the computer and throw the computer into the fire.
That makes no sense, because your brain is what stores your memories(which is physical). Once you die, both your brain and your body are gone.

The analogy was saying, that when your brain(memory) deteriorates, it looses it's memory, even though the energy will be recycled one way or another, just like the hard drive's energy was transferred into smoke. Just because it's transfers into another form, doesn't mean it retains the information/memory.

The computer would be your body, and the hard drive would be your brain. Why would you change the analogy to take a brain out, and burn the body?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If all that we know and experience fade away when we die, who cares?

If this is all there is, then why do so many people fear death?

Be Well.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Bishop2199 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Sad little Stevie ....
In a way , he's right ...
there is no Heaven for the lost .

.... as he will soon find out .

Also no surprise that Godless scientists
cannot see a price to pay for their sabotage of the environment ,

sad , twisted , sick little man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bishop2199
If all that we know and experience fade away when we die, who cares?

If this is all there is, then why do so many people fear death?

Be Well.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Bishop2199 because: (no reason given)

I fear the moments leading up to death frankly...sounds painful and probably filled with panic and various ouchys

Death...well, I am curious about it..can't really call it fear

sort of like...there may be nothing much beyond that threshhold, or a room full of cake and candy...but the threshhold itself is full of fire and broken glass you gotta step on to begin with...oh, and you will be pushed into it at a random time.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Timothy 3

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was.

1 Corinthians 2:14

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

And one of my favorites Jude

.Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus
Christ.

I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.

Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core

These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds [they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,

To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.

But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

These things have long been in the world.

edit on 16-5-2011 by EnigmaticDill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The same pseudo-argument between science and religion. A false dichotomy! How can we deny spiritualism when we do not know what it is? Is it telepathy between advanced beings and us?

Heaven is a metaphor, as is hell. I don't believe literally in either!

To say we are simply biological entities is a cop out. Humans and animals are not machinery. They have a soul which answers to the great architect and other intermediary entities.

We need to get over our intellectual dishonesty and start investigating the super-natural world. A world of parallel dimensions, space-time portals(wormholes), faster than light travel, teleportation, etc. Hollywood already knows a thing or two about this stuff so perhaps stephen hawkings should go talk to them to get a clue about what is going on in this world.

The man is a fraud!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy

there is no Heaven for the lost .

.... as he will soon find out .

cannot see a price to pay for their sabotage of the environment ,

Sabotage of the environment? what did hawkings do to the environment?

and erm..what makes you think there is no heaven for "the lost"?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
No offense, but I really don't care about what he thinks. No matter how intelligent this guy is, he has no way of knowing anything about it. It's merely his opinion and has neither more nor less credence than (for example) Glenn Beck's opinion on the subject.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaticDill

wow, wild...your using the bible to prove the bible
how original

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
He is wrong.....I have had my guardian Angel appear to me several times......I am a clean and sober person....not religious...but spiritual.....I know what I have truly experienced....our spirits and souls do not die...but just leave the human body and move on to another realm of existence.

It's like our human body is a house and our soul and spirit are the furniture.....we move out....to another house!

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join