It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZforZionism
Britain's most 'eminent' scientist says there is no heaven or life after death!

Well, I for one would be eager to see his scientific research and proof that shows that God doesn't exist and there is no heaven. He IS BRITAIN'S MOST EMINENT scientist so there is no way he would make such a claim without having scientific evidence and proof.

So let's see he scientific evidence and proof..what?....he doesn't HAVE any?....so how can he make such a claim...

Britain's most 'eminent' scientist I think not, Britain's most non-scientific opinionated trash? I THINK SO.

How can a scientific mind degenerate to such nonsense?

Fair points raised on the "scientific evidence and proof" demands that are so often dished out by those in the scientific and "status quo"circles on ANYTHING THAT CHALLENGES THE MAIN STREAM scientific stands, beliefs or acceptability ; Extraordinarily claims demands extraordinarily evidence/proof ;You are within your rights to raise those points, they cannot have it both ways or when it suits them to make claims of this nature;

edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT because: change to post

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
Id have to disagree with him.. Maybe there isn't a "heaven" so to speak. But an afterlife? There are thousands upon thousands of people who "see" this afterlife when they die but come back. Even kids as young as 5 have described in perfect detail to other adults accounts of what they also saw. Let alone every civilization from the past, who possessed real knowledge far beyond what we know about. I am thinking Mr. Steve is just loosing it or something. But he is entitled to his opinion, which is all it is. The evidence we do have, although I guess mostly circumstantial, far outweighs his opinion, in my opinion.

Deebo
edit on 16-5-2011 by Deebo because: fix
Perfekt detail you say? What about those peolpe who died and DIDN'T remember whatever dream or experience they had? What about those people who experienced something that doesn't fit what you think it should be? Why cherry pick?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisdomnotemotion

Yeah right, Stephen Hawking should thank God for not making him a full retard.

edit on 5/16/2011 by wisdomnotemotion because:  

Ha Ha...that reminds of a dialouge from Tropic Thunder:

Kirk Lazarus: Everybody knows you never go full retard.

Tugg Speedman: What do you mean?

Kirk Lazarus: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed...

edit on 16-5-2011 by Gibbon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If we have an after-life, why don't mice and rats and cats and dogs and birds and elephants and single celled organisms? How can you say that our level of intelligence demands an after-life when you haven't seen other intellignet life in our universe and only have htis little earth to base your opinion on?
edit on 16-5-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by onequestion
So who cares?

No seriously though, if we are not spiritual entities, then why do most of us discuss and think spiritually?

How is it that i can use some form of a drug and the entire world around me changes, yet this is considered not real?

Have you contemplated what this means to your experience of reality and how so it can be changed?
edit on 15-5-2011 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

This is a good point.
We perceive what we do because our brains are made and function in a certain way; but when people use certain chemicals that alter the way their brain functions, why is it that they perceive entirely new realities, worlds and dimensions? How is it that we know the way our brain is currently configured gives us the correct perception of reality? If anything, I'd think our brain limits us, preventing us from seeing and understanding the full extent of things. There is more to life than physical reality, which is easily supported by evidence. Science does not encompass only physical matter.

link   

Originally posted by antmax21
reply to post by SaturnFX

God can be many things. I try not to understand God for I know I cannot.

Luke: 17:21
Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

You can understand yourself

So, is God petty? are you petty?

link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
And at the moment, he is as qualified - and no MORE qualified - as any other living person is to comment on what happens to humans after we die. He doesn't know. Nobody alive does.

Do not underestimate the power of reasoning. I bet you there are folks out there who have pretty well educated guesses what will happen. Some might even have solved the entire question, with no possibility for uncertainty, considering all possible rules and systems as provided by the universe, known or not known by man...

Probably would boggle Hawkings mind though, since he seems to be struggling with amature philosophy.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisdomnotemotion

Originally posted by TravisT

And again, you never read the link. Hawkins says he doesn't believe in an afterlife, therefore, he says we should live up to our potential, and try to help out and advance society while we're here on earth. It was an uplifting message from a non-believer.

Did some of you not even read it?

Your enlightenment brings instant inspiration
I can now understand what makes someone a terrorist, murderer, John Doe or savior. Because he/she lives up to his/her potential.

Yeah right, Stephen Hawking should thank God for not making him a full retard.

edit on 5/16/2011 by wisdomnotemotion because:  
Why are you blatantly missing the point on purpose? You don't have to believe him, which is fine, but you don't have to continue to be so thickheaded about it. You're just twisting things around on purpose....and for what? Because you don't like his ideas? Why don't you just say that, instead of coming up with ridiculous logic to dismiss it? Just say you don't like it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

Originally posted by Deebo
Id have to disagree with him.. Maybe there isn't a "heaven" so to speak. But an afterlife? There are thousands upon thousands of people who "see" this afterlife when they die but come back. Even kids as young as 5 have described in perfect detail to other adults accounts of what they also saw. Let alone every civilization from the past, who possessed real knowledge far beyond what we know about. I am thinking Mr. Steve is just loosing it or something. But he is entitled to his opinion, which is all it is. The evidence we do have, although I guess mostly circumstantial, far outweighs his opinion, in my opinion.

Deebo
edit on 16-5-2011 by Deebo because: fix
Perfekt detail you say? What about those peolpe who died and DIDN'T remember whatever dream or experience they had? What about those people who experienced something that doesn't fit what you think it should be? Why cherry pick?

There are some people who NEVER remember their dreams or remember a small percentage of their dreams too, that does not mean that they are not dreaming or participating in another realty , existence or dimension, the occult teaches that the perfect rest or sleep is dreamless;'

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Well, there need only be a single white crow in existance for white crows to exist.

If only a single person has experienced an afterlife that could be proved (there hasn't yet, evidence, but no proof..but just saying)...if a single afterlife is proved, then afterlife = exists...

its unnecessary to have everyone experience an afterlife for it to be real...now, available for everyone is a different story...however, thats not the point here.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

What does that bible quotation have to do with my understanding of what God does or wants? ......The kingdom is within all of us but I cannot say what God is or does. Once again, God can be many things, including petty. God can take all your possessions to test your beliefs. It is up to you to relinquish or keep your faith.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The belief of oblivion in the moment of death is no different from believing in religious dogma. Science NOW knows about different dimensions, with things like string theory (M theory) and quantum physics throwing curve balls left and right. The point is that the more we learn about the universe and life itself, the more mysterious and "alien" the world becomes. To come to a total conclusion based on current knowledge (or conclusions based on current accepted scientific beliefs) is to be absolutely certain that current knowledge will not change in time, which is a mistake IMO.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If we get to have an after-life, then so do the rest of the lifeforms on our planet, including hte single celled organisms. Nothing should be left out. We don't know enough about life in this universe to only give ourselves this luxury. So the only fair compromise is to give every form of life the right to an afterlife. Anything else is simple selfish desire to single yourself out.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I'm still waiting for your scientific evidence and proof that the soul doesn't exist and is incapable of holding memories.

Or do you have a short memory?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

If we have an after-life, why don't mice and rats and cats and dogs and birds and elephants and single celled organisms? How can you say that our level of intelligence demands an after-life when you haven't seen other intellignet life in our universe and only have htis little earth to base your opinion on?

Again from an occult, (hidden), perspective and reality there are such places in the lower astral realms that harbor such life but that would open up a hole can of occult worms leading to kingdoms of pure plant and animal life;Elementals are a totally different ball game though;

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I will believe what Mr. Hawking says as truth.....

As soon as he can tell me how a biochemical mixture (our bodies) with an electrical current passing through (synaptic currents) can be self-aware.

That is a question that has not been answered yet as far as I know, and until someone does find that answer, I don't believe there is anyone qualified to answer the question of the existence of an afterlife. JMO

link   
My response to this is:

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

link   
You know I am not a very religious person. But I heard an arguement once in favor of religion and I know it gets quoted here sometimes. " In the beginning there was nothing, then nothing exploded". Our own laws of physics make it impossible for life to exist. because nothing would have ever existed, somewere along the way something had to create something. matter cannot be created or destroyed.
I have thought about this alot. Did a huge mass just appear from nothing in a space that never existed, this mass was so big it collapsed in on itself and exploded? Or did a intelligent being create it? if so who created the intelligent being?
I don't think there is a way to physically prove any side of the arguement, science should stop wasting it's time on the subject and start working on things that improve quality of life and environment.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZforZionism

I'm still waiting for your scientific evidence and proof that the soul doesn't exist and is incapable of holding memories.

Or do you have a short memory?

Please show me where I stated that.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by subby

What the article said was:

In the talk, he will argue that tiny quantum fluctuations in the very early universe became the seeds from which galaxies, stars, and ultimately human life emerged. "Science predicts that many different kinds of universe will be spontaneously created out of nothing. It is a matter of chance which we are in," he said.

Are you an atheist?

A nice elegant hypothesis.
Of course, my issue is the whole "spontaneously created out of nothing"

Energy cannot be created, nor destroyed, only transferred (and made into energy drinks). The theory itself stands on shaky grounds and is in danger of violating some pretty basic laws of thermodynamics.

Yes, I am an atheist.

He is stating that universes could be spontaneously created from nothing, not energy. The creation of a universe could be through transference or metamorphosis.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join