It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Alpha Centauri inhabited?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
For the last time Alpha Centauri is a triple star system. Proxima Centauri comes the closest to us at about 4.2 ly.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
yes for example fungus and mind worms live there.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
There's no proof for life any where else in the universe.

I find it funny how a lot of atheist rag on religious folk for believing without proof yet you believe there are aliens without proof.

hypocrites.

there are no known aliens, and thats a fact.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

I find it funny how a lot of atheist rag on religious folk for believing without proof yet you believe there are aliens without proof.

hypocrites.

There's a difference between those who promote skeptical inquiry and those who fall into the category 'atheist.' There are no requirements for being an atheist other than not believing in god, so this shouldn't be surprising, as skeptical and atheist aren't synonymous.

I'll agree somewhat though, yes it is funny when people exercise the special pleading fallacy.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by descartes90
I was reading about the system on Wikipedia, apparently, like Z. Reticuli, it is a binary system composed of 2 Sun-like yellow stars. The metal content is similar to our sun, and though there is no evidence of brown dwarfs or gas giants there, it's speculated there could be planets there.

Have you ever heard of any cases of ETs from the Alpha Centauri system?

These are the ETs President Eisenhower and his Military Advisers made deals with in 1954. I refer you here:
Eisenhower’s ‘First Contact’ Meeting with Extraterrestrials

Supporting Web Links

www.presidentialufo.com...

www1.american.edu...

www.ufoevidence.org...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuffed

Originally posted by DuceizBack

hypocrites.

There's a difference between those who promote skeptical inquiry and those who fall into the category 'atheist.' There are no requirements for being an atheist other than not believing in god, so this shouldn't be surprising, as skeptical and atheist aren't synonymous.

I'll agree somewhat though, yes it is funny when people exercise the special pleading fallacy.

Usually a person who is an atheist, is also a rationalist.
And atheist tend to be the best skeptics[conspiracy theorist tend to be the worst]

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by vexati0n
Your statement is like saying "there are millions of loaves of bread in the world, so there is most likely mold growing in my cupboard" before you even checked to see if there's any bread in there.

funny choice of simile as mold spores are found on most every surface of most every building here on earth, bet against life's tenacity and most often you will loose

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

I think many people are confusing Atheism with Agnosticism.

Actually most Atheists are mired in dogma as much as people who DO believe in God -- or as mired in Dogma as blind believers in Alien visitation. Atheists specifically claim that God does NOT exist -- even though they have no proof that he does NOT exist. This is the same with some blind believers in Alien visitation. Some believers want to believe so badly that their pre-conceived notions of alien visitation is real that they will believe almost EVERY UFO sighting is actually an alien-controlled craft, even when mundane explanations exist.

Agnostics, on the other hand, simply believe there is no proof that God exists. They don't say that God does NOT exist, they simply say it hasn't been proven that "he" does. Agnosticism as related to alien visitation is similar. People such as myself who consider themselves Agnostic about alien visitation have never said that Aliens definitely are not visiting the earth in spaceships. We claim that perhaps they are, but there is no good proof that they are.

Atheist = stubborn Alien pseudoskeptic = blind believer in alien visitation:
All of these people are stuck in dogma and can't see past their own pre-conceived notions to actually think critically.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Interesting I can see your point. How do you feel dogmatic beliefs effect how we see the pervasiveness of life throughout the universe. Setting aside alien visitation it seems a highly earth centric point of view to believe that life exists only here on Earth.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Interesting I can see your point. How do you feel dogmatic beliefs effect how we see the pervasiveness of life throughout the universe. Setting aside alien visitation it seems a highly earth centric point of view to believe that life exists only here on Earth.

I was talking about Alien visitation of earth, not life in the universe in general (two different things).

Obviously, we have no solid proof of either alien visitation OR life elsewhere in the universe, but personally I feel much more sure about life elsewhere in the universe than I do about that life visiting the Earth. However, since I have no "100% proof" of life elsewhere in the universe, I can't be 100% sure it exists (although I think it almost certainly does exist).

So I suppose in my case, there is a little dogma (although that dogma has some science behind it) that overtakes my agnosticism and makes me a "bit" of a blind believer in life elsewhere. This sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but I personally feel it is takes much larger "leap of faith" to believe in alien visitation of Earth than it does to believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.

edit on 5/23/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

I was talking about Alien visitation of earth, not life in the universe in general (two different things).

yeah I understood that which was why I asked for your opinion on the difference thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join