It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning video, a glimpse into what a post apocalyptic world might look like

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+127 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I wanted to share this amazing video I found with my fellow ats people, it concerns the Salton sea, an artificial sea created accidentally in the California desert at the turn of the last century. For a short time the "sea" was exploited as a tourist attraction before it became too polluted and it now sits, surrounded by the trappings of its former glory, decaying and deserted.

I had never even heard of this place before but the video is hauntingly beautiful and a little scary as we may well see the whole world looking like this before too long

edit on 15-5-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
very interesting i must say......

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I have seen some places like this in California on my way to the National Training Center and certain places truly look like this. Its almost like war was ravaged there and most of everything is rotting away. It makes you think just how the world will look like if and when we get nuked back to the stone age. Reminds me of the Fallout series, especially Fallout new Vegas.

edit on 15-5-2011 by Stop-loss! because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Desert, accidental paradise, abandoned toxic wasteland, message of hope...that's a lot for a piece of land to be in a few short decades. That was really interesting, thanks for sharing

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Thanks dave, i enjoyed this short film, simply intriguing.
The result of an err of engineering when redirecting a natural watercourse, maybe you should post this in the thread related to the Mississippi levees being destroyed by the corps of engineers.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I like it. It reminds me of that show "Life After People" only narrated better.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Maybe because I live in N.Kalifornia, Iv'e never been there.
But wow neat stuff, I've heard the name but never knew what it was.
Kind of eerie to see all of those places abandoned.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing video. I believe that this is what most of the Earth will look like once the apocalypse hits.

Scary

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Hell ....
Go take walk around Detroit

you won't get a glimpse

you'll get an eyeful

I saw a docu. not to long ago about the Salt N Sea
showed film footage from its hay-day & what is now
Mostly Meth labs

edit on 5/15/2011 by spoonbender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Ah, yes....the Salton Sea. Well known blight on the landscape, in the Coachella and Imperial Valleys, California.

I used to live in Palm Springs....you can see, on maps, the proximity. Flew for a small commuter airline, based there (back some decades ago...).

Borrego Springs, just West of "Salton City" is another, more "out of the way" getaway venue.

One route the airline had was from Palm Springs, down to Imperial (further southeast of Salton Sea, near El Centro (border-town territory, with Mexico of course)....Brawley the nearest "metropolis". LOL

From Imperial, would go over to Yuma and back....sometimes, even had layovers (overnights) in Yuma. Hopping place, you can imagine.

(Sidebar: Yuma was where that Southwest Airlines 737 with the hole torn in the fuselage decided to make their emergency landing, few months ago....).

Thing of note, reason I posted was for those Star Wars fans...if you refer to maps, again....look East of Imperial, just North of Interstate Highway 8.....in the sandy desert area, were some dunes and low hills....we flew right over the location shoot for "The Return of the Jedi".....the scene in the opening, with the sand pit monster.....and Jabba the Hut's "sail barge"....

Looking at it, we found out which movie, and just wondered what in the HECK it was going to look like on screen.

I always wondered what fabulous hotel the cast and crew found to stay at, in the city of Brawley or Imperial!

Ah, Hollywood glamour.....

edit on Sun 15 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Wow. This video was actually beautiful.

I feel incredibly inspired right now.

And for some reason I'm super keen to play Fallout 3...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

LOL!
although i must say the resemblance is striking, and i do get a doom and gloom feeling watching that
(maybe Bethesda has seen this too?)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I grew up in S. California and have been to the Salton Sea before it ended up like this. In fact I did not even know it had happened. It could be a glimpse of things to come in some areas but I think enough of humanity is looking for a better way that we will reinvent society to be more sustainable and decentralized but I don't know how long that will take. And we are going to experience some pain before then. I think intentional communities are the first steps in that direction. I have an idea for a model sustainable community of the future but as if right now I don't know if i will ever get to try and build it.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
there is a great movie called the Salton Sea with Val Kilmer...

I have been to brawley and GLAMIS several times more than i can count. gotta love the dunes out there one of my most favorite places to go big...

if you watch the movie the salton sea it gives a good impression of what the area has turned into. just a sad wasteland. most of LA is turning into the same just with a bigger population.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

WOW !!! thanks !!! good reminder of many things.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Amazing post! It's strangely depressing watching this video and then coming to the realisation that cities we know and places we live could one day become deserted and barren like those in the video.

ETA: I've seen Salvation mountain and Leonard Knight before (in the movie 'Into the wild'), such a great guy and a beautiful place he has created.
edit on 16-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing...amazing video. Unfortunately, my baby is asleep in my arms and I'm unable to use volume...will someone please share what happened to turn it into a ghost town or was it all due to a polluted lake?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I knew I recognised that old dude in the video from somewhere!!

Watch the movie "Into The Wild". He's in that movie and does just as good a job at being crazy in that movie as he does in the clip.

What a sad sad place to carve out a living.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Love my Bebe

The sea (lake) formed from an accident of irrigation control......it had no regular feed, from the Colorado River (the initial source).

At first, people thought it would quickly all evaporate...but, time went by, and it remained longer (they overestimated the volume).

Briefly, the real estate *boom* occurred, greedy and eager people, all fooled into thinking it was permanent.

But, grew stagnant, no flow and run-off pollution from nearby agriculture, combined with eventual evaporation, soon made it clear that it was a mini "Dead Sea"....

edit on Mon 16 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Hmmmmm...

....that old dude....

My first thought was to joke that he might be an ATS member, based on a few posts I've seen, of late....but, they said he has no electricity....makes me think, just maybe, no Internet either....

....jus' sayin'.......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join