It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The £400 test that tells you how long you'll live

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
The Independent

A blood test that can show how fast someone is ageing – and offers the tantalising possibility of estimating how long they have left to live – is to go on sale to the general public in Britain later this year.

Scientists have known about telomeres and their relationship age for several years now. Now biologists have developed a test to measure the length of the telomeres and calculate a persons' lifespan. It's known that people born with shorter than normal telomeres have shorter lifespans than those with longer telomeres.

Telomeres are structures at the end of chromosomes and with each division of the cell, the telomeres get shorter until it disappears, the chromosome is damaged and the cell dies.

But wait...there's more.

"If you smoke or you're obese your insurance rates are higher, and if you have short telomeres your insurance rates might be higher too."

If these tests prove to be accurate and insurance companies can use the test results, this may equate to higher insurance rates for those individuals with shorter telomeres.

I used the search tool and didn't want to post a duplicate thread. I found this interesting because this may lead to others issues such as an individual being denied either health insurance, life insurance or both.

We're all destined to die, but I don't want to know when. Let it be a surprise I say.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I wonder what the margin of error is though. There are soooo many factors that play into death. I could have a heart attack right after this post, who knows.

I think this is just another method of making some money until people realise its a waste of time.

If insurance companies get hold of this then that will make things a loooot more complicated, beaurocratic and expensive :|

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
A lot of my relatives lived to their late 80s early 90s.

There you go, no test needed.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

There's no way this can be accurate. Does it factor in gmo foods? Fluoride, chlorine, and the other dangerous chemicals put in our water? Preservatives? Pesticides? The number of other chemicals put in our food? Pollution? Electromagnetic devices everyones homes are flooded with? The fact that most people don't walk more than a 1/2 mile a day and anyting over a mile is 'exhausting'?

YOU decide how long you live, not telomeres
edit on 15-5-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
I wonder what the margin of error is though. There are soooo many factors that play into death. I could have a heart attack right after this post, who knows.

I think this is just another method of making some money until people realise its a waste of time.

If insurance companies get hold of this then that will make things a loooot more complicated, beaurocratic and expensive :|

I could jump off a building too! This is one f-ed up test

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
You people have to be kidding me.

The test obviously only works if your death is NATURAL.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I don't think this is too much of a concern - it may turn out to give some base line indicators but as some have pointed out there are so many factors that will shift this. Personally I wouldn't get it done if it were free.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
I don't think this is too much of a concern - it may turn out to give some base line indicators but as some have pointed out there are so many factors that will shift this. Personally I wouldn't get it done if it were free.

I 2nd that

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I honestly believe humans could double or triple their life expencancy just eating ALL organic foods, drinking pure spring water, and daily exercise. No one knows how long humans are capable of living, because everyone sits around all day stuffing their faces with BigMacs.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
obviously there referring to aging like wrinkled skin and organ failure due to old age. doesn't count what you do to your body yourself like clogging arteries. now i wanna know how smoking effects these things.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
obviously there referring to aging like wrinkled skin and organ failure due to old age. doesn't count what you do to your body yourself like clogging arteries. now i wanna know how smoking effects these things.

Does it count that malevolent people practically force you to consume chemicals on a daily basis?

Or is crazy to think chemicals don't belong in our bodies?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackStar99

good point... i just went off reading more about telomeres and was reading relaxation is helpful to keeping them longer. now where gonna find xanex is the key to long life.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I believe the main point of the research is to find a relation to the length of a telomere and the potential for longevity. While it is true that a persons habits contributes greatly to their health, if it were to be known that a telomere is longer than normal, it may contribute to the person making wise choices about their lifestyle.

I found the article interesting becuase it mentioned the impact it may have on insurance companies dealing with policies to individuals with shorter than normal telomeres.

What is normal and would a short telomere be considered a genetic disorder? Some people would say yes, of course it's a genetic disorder but have they stopped to consider that longer telomeres may be linked to genetic mutation?

We know very little about these things and what if these telomeres can be repaired?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

I believe the main point of the research is to find a relation to the length of a telomere and the potential for longevity. While it is true that a persons habits contributes greatly to their health, if it were to be known that a telomere is longer than normal, it may contribute to the person making wise choices about their lifestyle.

I found the article interesting becuase it mentioned the impact it may have on insurance companies dealing with policies to individuals with shorter than normal telomeres.

What is normal and would a short telomere be considered a genetic disorder? Some people would say yes, of course it's a genetic disorder but have they stopped to consider that longer telomeres may be linked to genetic mutation?

We know very little about these things and what if these telomeres can be repaired?

I do find it fascinating, and I don't doubt telomeres can tell you whether you'll be generally healthier or not, but there's no way to put a number on how long you'll live when we're constantly and slowly being poisoned.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackStar99
I honestly believe humans could double or triple their life expencancy just eating ALL organic foods, drinking pure spring water, and daily exercise. No one knows how long humans are capable of living, because everyone sits around all day stuffing their faces with BigMacs.

How to live longer

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Why would you participate in such program

top topics

join