It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISS live cam feed - what is this thing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Okay ATS geeks, I need your help. Last night, around 11:30 pm, while watching the ISS live feed, something came into view I've never seen before. Whatever this thing is it looks to be on the ground (at least I think) and has a very distinct shape and color. At first I thought it might be artifacts but quickly dismissed that. There was no pixelation, the picture wasn't breaking up, just this 'object' panning smoothly from bottom left to the top middle of my screen. Realizing I only had seconds I immediately took 3 caps, then checked ISS Tracker to determine it's location. As best as I could tell it was either orbiting Mongolia, the southern part of Russia bordering Mongolia, or Kazakhstan (due to the feed's delay).

I make no claims as to what this is. I thought possibly a reservoir but don't know. Color is wrong, IMO. Plus the ISS was orbiting at 218 miles, which would make this thing HUGE.

Just a note: I use VLC to view the feed. That way I can rotate the window 180 degrees (so I can look down on the earth instead of up - just makes more sense, IMO) and also adjust the window's size allowing greater definition (hence their size).

So ATS, what is this? I've been wracking my brain but honestly, I have no frickin' idea.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/39219e15de91.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f0a998f39752.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bab10988d52f.png[/atsimg]

I'll check back on this thread tomorrow, but right now it's time for bed.

EDIT: Bummer, scroll bars are missing from the bottom so you can't scroll to the right, especially for the third pic. Don't know how to fix it as this point I'm afraid.
edit on 15-5-2011 by mysticcuisinart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Obviously it is Texas.
2nd.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
clouds

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Dorothy's house.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Looks like it could be higher orbiting satellite.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mysticcuisinart

My guess is a weather satellite
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
looks to be on the ground...maybe Usama's vacation home?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It's the object on the ground he's asking the question about. Given that this photo was taken from space that object must be a MASSIVE structure. Dont bother looking for it on Google earth because it'd be obscured from view from TPTB

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Nice catch! I'm just as curious as you are. I know this post doesn't help AT ALL but thought I'd bump this up for someone who may be able to help!

S&F! Will be checking up on this thread!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Is it possible that is another satellite orbiting at a lower altitude than the one you viewed it from?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Third picture, with scroll bars:

(When your ATS Media image is more than 600 pixels wide, take out the letters "ats" from inside the 'img' tags, each end).

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I didn't see any mission number or time index, but would it help to know what part of the Earth it was over when this was shot? What part of the globe is that?

I usually get a window seat so I can look at things from 38,000 feet and I often see things I can't positively identify, but they aren't usually this big.

My first guess would be some kind of mining operation but that's just a guess. They can produce some unusual colors that stand out from an altitude, even a bluish color. I wouldn't be surprised if this mining operation can be seen from space:
www.dmairfield.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ece81cb20b1d.jpg[/atsimg]
Mining Operation Near Silver City, NM, September, 2003 (Source: Webmaster)

I'm not claiming it's that particular mining operation, but just pointing out the common features like the rectangular or more or less geometrical shape, the bluish color, the large size and possible visibility from space. That color in the Silver City mine is characteristic of silver mine tailings, other mines can have tailings of other colors.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticcuisinart
Okay ATS geeks, I need your help. Last night, around 11:30 pm, while watching the ISS live feed, something came into view I've never seen before. Whatever this thing is it looks to be on the ground (at least I think) and has a very distinct shape and color. At first I thought it might be artifacts but quickly dismissed that. There was no pixelation, the picture wasn't breaking up, just this 'object' panning smoothly from bottom left to the top middle of my screen. Realizing I only had seconds I immediately took 3 caps, then checked ISS Tracker to determine it's location. As best as I could tell it was either orbiting Mongolia, the southern part of Russia bordering Mongolia, or Kazakhstan (due to the feed's delay).

11:30 in what time-zone?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Maybe Lake Tengiz?
50°20'37.31"N 69°13'30.38"E

edit on 16-5-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
@ mysticcuisinart

How did you get such high quality/large pics of the live feed? When i watch the live ISS feed, it's a "small" box lol...

Edit: Nevermind, i just read your whole post. However, are there any settings you changed to make the quality better? Cheers in advance =]

edit on 16-5-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
At first I thought perhaps another satellite at lower orbit, but then noticed the small clouds to the left of the picture are casting shadows on the ground, so it would seem the structure is on the ground. Perhaps a drilling platform of some sort?

Sure would help to have coordinates. lol

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
It's the object on the ground he's asking the question about. Given that this photo was taken from space that object must be a MASSIVE structure. Dont bother looking for it on Google earth because it'd be obscured from view from TPTB

HONKIN' MASSIVE is the scientific term, I believe.
But you're right, the round object at the top is part of the International Space Station. What I'm interested in is that thing on the ground - the robin's egg blue rectangular thingy.

BTW, thank you weedwhacker!

Arbitrageur - read my initial post. This is live feed coming from the International Space Station (ISS). It was orbiting Mongolia, possibly southern Russian or Kazakhstan at the time.

Saint Exupery: 11:30 pm EST

aRogue: No change in settings that I'm aware.

Thanks for the replies so far, guys! Please keep them coming.
edit on 16-5-2011 by mysticcuisinart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's definitely not another satellite because it stays in the same spot throughout the moving of the live feed. It is on ground and it is almost inconceivable in size if thats how it looks in space.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I'm guessing that its one of these:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea322255ed27.jpg[/atsimg]

www.spacenews.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
what would look like that on earth from an altitude of 348 KM ?

i dont believe that there is a structure on earth that will look this big from that altitude.

just my opinion

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join