It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Fellows

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hey guys -

Is anyone here a member of the Odd Fellows? I wonder if I could get a little background info and some insight into exactly what they do. Is it another appendant body to Masonry, or something else altogether? As I understand it, the I.O.O.F. is similar to Masonry, but I don't know any details. Anyone?

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I found what I was looking for here:

www.ioof.org...

Any additional info or anecdotes are always good, though.

I couldn't determine (yet) if there is a degree system like there is in Masonry, or if there is an initiation ritual, or what?

I'm curious as to how many, if any, Odd Fellows we have on ATS.

[edit on 8/2/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Hey guys -

Is anyone here a member of the Odd Fellows? I wonder if I could get a little background info and some insight into exactly what they do. Is it another appendant body to Masonry, or something else altogether? As I understand it, the I.O.O.F. is similar to Masonry, but I don't know any details. Anyone?

Hi Axeman, et al

I've been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows *almost* as long as I've been a Mason. They're similar in structure to Masonry, but not connected. There are several "degrees" The Subordinate (local) Lodge confers 4. They are the Initiatory Degree and the 1st - 3rd Degrees (called the Degrees of Friendship, Love and Truth..respectively) (That's what FLT in the emblem stands for) A member may wish to petition and join the Encampment which confers 3 additional degrees, then there is the uniformed branch called Cantons and a fun group called the Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans (AMOS) (This group is very similar to the Shriners in Masonry....and even wears fezzes) For the Ladies there is the Rebekah Lodge and for the youth there's the Junior Lodge (boys) and the Theta Rho's (girls)

HOWEVER, a few years ago in the U.S.A. the IOOF voted to allow women to be full Lodge members. Odd Fellows indeed.

Their exact history is (like Masonry's) somewhat foggy. They originated in England though...

Any other questions you have I'd be glad to ask. I'm not overly active but am still a current member. I also belong to the Knights of Pythias, the United Ancient Order of Druids, the Loyal Orange Institution, the Ancient Toltec Rite and some other "stuff"

What can I say...I like to "join" things. ...but Masonry is still my first love.

Regards,

-John

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I have heard of the Orange Institution before, but the info I have found on them is vague to say the least. I found out that you must profess to be protestant, and it seems to have more to do with religion than anything else. From what I read, they were formed in the 1700's to help preserve the protestant Church's rights and properties, is this correct? Then in 1903(?) the current Independant Loyal Orange Institution was formed because there was too much using of the fraternity to reach political ends by some members. Senrak, if I am wrong please correct me.

What kinds of things does the Loyal Orange Institution do? Is there, like in Masonry, an initiation ritual and degrees and whatnot as well? I never knew there were somany groups like this that a man can join - it is indeed very fascinating to discover and study these groups and the good works they do for society.

Thanks in advance for your response

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I have heard of the Orange Institution before, but the info I have found on them is vague to say the least. I found out that you must profess to be protestant, and it seems to have more to do with religion than anything else. From what I read, they were formed in the 1700's to help preserve the protestant Church's rights and properties, is this correct? Then in 1903(?) the current Independant Loyal Orange Institution was formed because there was too much using of the fraternity to reach political ends by some members. Senrak, if I am wrong please correct me.

What kinds of things does the Loyal Orange Institution do? Is there, like in Masonry, an initiation ritual and degrees and whatnot as well? I never knew there were somany groups like this that a man can join - it is indeed very fascinating to discover and study these groups and the good works they do for society.

Thanks in advance for your response

Hi Axeman,

You're right on cue. The Orange Lodge is a Protestant Christian group (but NOT anti-Catholic) In fact I have many very dear Roman Catholic friends. They were founded in Ireland to protect Protestants, but today in the US they are a very patriotic and Christian group. Our initiation (there are several degrees) is almost "stolen" from Masonry. The presiding officer is called Worthy Master...there is a "Tyler" at the door, etc. It's a small group that almost died out in recent years, but we're beginning to make a come-back. I'm Secretary of St. Patrick's Cross Lodge in Missouri.

-John

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by senrak
Hi Axeman,

You're right on cue. The Orange Lodge is a Protestant Christian group (but NOT anti-Catholic) In fact I have many very dear Roman Catholic friends. They were founded in Ireland to protect Protestants, but today in the US they are a very patriotic and Christian group. Our initiation (there are several degrees) is almost "stolen" from Masonry. The presiding officer is called Worthy Master...there is a "Tyler" at the door, etc. It's a small group that almost died out in recent years, but we're beginning to make a come-back. I'm Secretary of St. Patrick's Cross Lodge in Missouri.
-John

I see. So what kinds of works does the Orange Lodge do? I understand it is more geared toward religioun, but do you do charity work for the community, things of that sort? I'm just curious, you are a member of these groups, (IOOF and the Orange Lodge) and as such, can you explain why someone would want to become a member?

I know that the Odd Fellows do alot of work with sick and elderly(?) people, but what other kinds of things do they do?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
My dad is a member and all they do is sit around and drink beer lol I don't think he has ever attended a meeting

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
See what's the point in that? There's got to be more to it than that, I would think. I mean, besides the philanthropic side, visiting the sick and all, which in itself is a rewarding experience. I know they have their own cemetaries and see to burying the dead as well, but why pay dues to a group just to do that?

I mean no disrespect whatsoever, Senrak, I am just curious as to the personal motivations behind being in this group. Like with Masonry there is so much you can learn, and they encourage the study of philosophy and they do all the charity work and stuff, then there is the SR, Shriners and so on. You stated above the you can go further in the IOOF as in Masonry with appendant bodies, but I'm still trying to get at what they do besides get together and drink beer and "discuss what kind of lightbulbs to buy" as one Mason on this board put it once. That seems pretty mundane to me.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to detract from these groups in any way, I'm just trying to get at why one would want to be one, besides of course, the always alluring assurances of beer and whatnot.

That's what alot of people say about the Moose lodge, too, that they just get together and drink beer, but they have family activities, they have big dinners where you can take your family and eat for a modest (very modest by restaraunt standards) price a few times a month, the have bowling tournaments, softball leagues, all kinds of good stuff for family fellowship.

I'm not sure but it seems like the Orange Lodge would be less inclined to just drink beer. Do they do stuff for the churches around the lodge, they aren't attached to any one church, right? Do you guys contribute to a certain charity more than others?

Infinite - you mean your dad is an Odd Fellow? If he doesn't go to meetings, why be a member? Is there something one can gain simply by membership? For charity? Just to help out? Interesting...

[edit on 8/4/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Infinite - you mean your dad is an Odd Fellow? If he doesn't go to meetings, why be a member? Is there something one can gain simply by membership? For charity? Just to help out? Interesting...

Indeed, well the Oddfellows have different offers from members
(i have the application form in front of me so i will list afew)

- Regular programme of social events

- Access to your local branch for information and help

- Oddfellows Advice Service

- Oddfellows Care Service

- Oddfellows Travel Club

- Free accidental death cover of up to �2,500

- Educational awards of �500 a year

I will ask him tonight when he gets back from work about if he has ever gone to a meeting, but to me knownledge he hasn't.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Infinite, you've said before that you intend to become a Mason, is your dad a Mason as well?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Infinite, you've said before that you intend to become a Mason, is your dad a Mason as well?

No, my father isn't a Mason.
BTW, Oddfellows is what you call a "friendly society"

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

No, my father isn't a Mason.
BTW, Oddfellows is what you call a "friendly society"

It seems as though they all are when you get right down to it.

I never knew there were so many though, until I started researching Masonry. It's amazing how ignorant we can be to what's going on around us. I used to think the Shriners were just a bunch of old wierdos who just rode tiny motorcycles in parades and wore funny hats!

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Hi Axeman,

-John

I see. So what kinds of works does the Orange Lodge do? I understand it is more geared toward religioun, but do you do charity work for the community, things of that sort? I'm just curious, you are a member of these groups, (IOOF and the Orange Lodge) and as such, can you explain why someone would want to become a member?

I know that the Odd Fellows do alot of work with sick and elderly(?) people, but what other kinds of things do they do?

Axeman,

I guess I should point out another difference in U.S. and U.K. society (be it good or bad) Infinite seems to be from the U.K. People in the U.K. live in a sort of Police State where members of fraternal societies must register with the government. I didn't point out that the Odd Fellows exist in several forms (which sprang from various schismatic movements...a lot like some churches have come to be) Their Odd Fellows are considered a "friendly society" (read: drinking society) That's not so in the U.S.A. They're more in line w/ the Freemasons and generally do not allow alcholic beverages in the Lodge Hall. The Odd Fellows in the US like the Orangemen in the US are merely fraternal societies with various national and local charities...and they hold business meetings. Doesn't sound too exciting, huh? It isn't.

Regarding Odd Fellows, there's the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF) the Manchester Unity Odd Fellows (U.K. branch and elsewhere) the Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, and some more. They're similar, but not exactly the same and not necessarily in "recognition" with one another.

But the fact remains that in the U.S.A. the purpose of the Odd Fellows is not to sit around and drink beer (nothing wrong with that, I like beer myself...but I can get that sort of fellowship elsewhere) Sorry for rambling so much but infinites message caught me off guard and made it sound like that is what the organization is all about...and it isn't. His father's particular Lodge may have degenerated to such...but that's not the purpose of Odd Fellowship.

-John

But they are a good group of guys.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Hi Axeman,

-John

Oops! I got so caught up on responding to the grossly inaccurate description of the Odd Fellows that I completely forgot the Orange Order. It does require that a person be a Trinitarian Protestant and it does some charitable work...but it's mostly just "fraternal" Fellowship and the like. (At least in Missouri) Ritualistically it's a sort of odd blend of Freemasonry and Anglicanism (Episcopalianism in the U.S.) I know....I'm both

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Oops! I got so caught up on responding to the grossly inaccurate description of the Odd Fellows that I completely forgot the Orange Order. It does require that a person be a Trinitarian Protestant and it does some charitable work...but it's mostly just "fraternal" Fellowship and the like. (At least in Missouri) Ritualistically it's a sort of odd blend of Freemasonry and Anglicanism (Episcopalianism in the U.S.) I know....I'm both

Well I live in NW Arkansas, so it probably wouldn't be too much different, as we are not too terribly far away from each other. I bet there aren't too many lodges since it is so small, right? What kind of charity work do they do?

P.S. Infinite, any word from your old man?

[edit on 8/5/04 by The Axeman]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Sorry about that, forgot to ask him, but i just have now. I asked him about ever going to the meetings and if so, what they discuss. Well, sadly, he hasn't ever gone to a meeting and doesn't know what they discuss. Sorry guys

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Sorry about that, forgot to ask him, but i just have now. I asked him about ever going to the meetings and if so, what they discuss. Well, sadly, he hasn't ever gone to a meeting and doesn't know what they discuss. Sorry guys

Well, what are you gonna do, right?

I wonder why he retains membership if he doesn't participate, or even know what goes on with the fraternity? Hmm... Ah, well, to each his own.

Thanks for asking, though.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Well, what are you gonna do, right?

I wonder why he retains membership if he doesn't participate, or even know what goes on with the fraternity? Hmm... Ah, well, to each his own.

Thanks for asking, though.

When im next down the lodge with him (he is allowed to bring guests) i will ask around for you

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Cool, I'm not looking to discover their secrets (if they have any) I am merely interested in the kinds of charity work they do and whatnot. I'm not one of those who is digging for secrets, If I am interested enough to want to know, I will join and find out for myself. I am just curious about their outward activities.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Well I live in NW Arkansas, so it probably wouldn't be too much different, as we are not too terribly far away from each other. I bet there aren't too many lodges since it is so small, right? What kind of charity work do they do?
[edit on 8/5/04 by The Axeman]

Right. In fact I don't know of any Lodges at all in Arkansas, although I think there's one in Springfield, MO. As far as charity, it's mostly local. Our Lodge only meets quarterly, takes care of business and initiates new members (if there are any to be initiated)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join