It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wild Fires Alberta Canada with Extreme Winds!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The evacuees are being routed to here in Edmonton. The local YMCA's are putting people up temporarily. I saw a lonnnng line of vehicles (about 100 or so) waiting to be checked in at my local YMCA today. All the vehicles were stuffed with personal belongings...my guess is it's everything they could grab at a moments notice.

Those poor people. Donations are being accepted Here

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

Hey disclosure,

It's nice to know that I have someone from Edmonton with to converse about local matter's even if no one else from the international community cares (all that much).

Here's to Edmontonians!

All my thoughts and prayers to those who have lost there houses and homes.

-AS-
edit on 16-5-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My grandparents lived in Widewater for 70 years. They are no longer alive but their old homestead as well as the entire hamlet of Widewater has been wiped off the map. Very sad, given the violent and sudden nature of this wildfire. My heart goes out to all the people affected by this.

Here is a satelite map showing where the worst damage is:

satelite photo
edit on 17-5-2011 by Gamma MO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i've seen a couple forest fires but none that destroyed half a town before, been to slave lake just a couple months ago, lovely place. hopefully more fires don't break out there, I have family in cold lake.

something tells me if Alberta is on fire that BC will be 10x worse like usual, remember Kelowna 2003? that was CRAZY

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Weird how it's rainy south and southwest of there. Hope everyone is safe! I guess we'll be having big fires soon too, across the border.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
My heart goes out to the folks whose town and homes have been destroyed by these fires. On the other hand however, fires have always been nature's way of regenerating the forest. With all the nutrients now in the soil, it won't be long before new growth appears, and that new growth means a healthy population of forest creatures. If people decide to build towns in the middle of forests, then they should expect a certain amount of risk from fires. Most natural forest fires are started by lightning strikes, but towns mean people, some who are careless or uncaring enough to throw away lit cigarettes, or don't make sure campfires are thoroughly extinguished!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
There is something going on...........

Big fires across Russia and Siberia too for the past couple of days.........

The area affected by wildfires raging in Siberia has expanded by 560 hectares to 1,500 hectares in the past twenty-four hours, the Emergencies Ministry reported on Sunday. "There are 106 hotbeds of wildfires on a total area of 1,492.6 hectares in Siberia," the ministry said. Firefighters have localized 52 wildfires on an area of 988 hectares in the past twenty-four hours. The cause of forest fires is the activity of local residents, the ministry said. "Overall, 2,300 people and 534 pieces of equipment have been involved in the fire-fighting effort in the past twenty-four hours," the ministry said. A large number of wildfires have also been registered in the Trans-Baikal Territory, the Krasnoyarsk Territory, the Republics of Tyva and Buryatia, the Tomsk and Irkutsk Regions, the ministry said. Wildfires devastated a number of regions in central Russia last summer, killing 62 people and leaving thousands homeless.

The world is changing ? drying out in some areas.? lets hope that the ATS thread about an increase in Wind speeds and velocities does not make this a whole lot worse !!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Soils of Europe & UK Drying out ..
www.bbc.co.uk...

PDUK
edit on 18-5-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: addition

edit on 18-5-2011 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Different groups, from environmentalists to 2012'ers have for various reasons been predicting extremes in earth conditions for years and arguably, it does seem to be coming true. There is no doubt that there has been a serious uptick in both frequency and extent of calamitous natural disasters world-wide.

Where to from here? Have we seen the worst of it, or can it possibly get worse yet? I suppose the icing on the cake would be either a huge meteor crashing down, or super-volcano going off somewhere, or both.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Update photo's from today:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Those were some nice homes by the looks of those that survived.

You have to wonder whether whats left is enough to make a viable community or not? A lot of investment there, but what now? Does insurance cover the losses so people can rebuild, or is this an "act of God"?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynoDoes insurance cover the losses so people can rebuild, or is this an "act of God"?

I think it's an Act of Fire.

Act of God is used if an animal runs out in front of your car and you have to submit for insurance collection.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I've heard that there's such a thing as "wildfire" insurance, but most people that live inside of a town probably wouldn't have it, but there was an insurance company at the evacuation centre looking into cutting cheques for people that were insured with them, so there must be coverage of some kind. The cheques are probably just to cover some expenses now, because most people don't know yet which houses survived.

The Premier of Alberta announced on the news tonight that the province of Alberta is donating 50 million dollars to help Slave Lake to rebuild.
edit on 18-5-2011 by snowspirit because: spelling

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Slave Lake is a couple of hours east of me. Company I work for has equipment there, hopefully it didn't burn

Such a sad situation, I really hope nothing similar happens to other communities in our area.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
On the news today they said they dont think it's a 'wild fire' but think it was man made.

"We have evidence that a number of these fires are man-made," he said. "So butt the cigarette out in the car in the ashtray. Don't flick it out the car window."

cnews.canoe.ca...
edit on 20-5-2011 by inanna1234 because: added links

top topics

<< 1   >>

join