It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sleeping" Volcanoes Can Wake Up Faster Than Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Thids is from march, so not so new news, but I didn't find it in the search

National Geographic News

The world's "sleeping giants" can wake up much quicker than thought, according to a new volcano model.

Scientists believe the magma chambers—or reservoirs of molten rock—under dormant volcanoes are filled with sticky, viscous mush.

For a volcano to "wake up," this mush needs to be thoroughly heated by fresh, hot magma rising up from the deep Earth.

According to current theory, it would take several hundred or perhaps a thousand years for the heat to distribute through the chamber and make the magma fluid enough to erupt.

But a new model based on fluid dynamics shows that hot, deep magma can mix with the older, sticky stuff much easier than believed, scientists say.

(Related pictures: "America's Ten Most Dangerous Volcanoes.")

"That's one reason that the rejuvenation can happen so quickly—the transport of hot material coming in [to the] magma system is much more efficient than we previously had understood," said study co-author George Bergantz, a geologist at the University of Washington.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
That's what happened when Santorini/Thira exploded (literally!), thus spawning the Atlantis theory being based there.

rainbows
jane

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Ofc they can when they've got HAARP pointed at them

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Consider a bad curry and a case of the trots, I enjoy the experience at least once a week. The old burning ring of fire after a nice meaty madras or a scorching vindaloo. My guts becoming 'active' and to an extent volcanic after such delicacies.

It is not difficult for me to imagine that volcanoes have similar problems after all they spend most of the time simmering away 'brewing one up'. Then of course the inevitable happens and the majestic working make themselves known.

Should think if she is going to blow she is going to blow and yes like those guts of mine when the rumbling starts the results are most evident in as short as space of time. In volcanic term instant relief.

new topics

top topics

join