It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which job should I take?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hey folks. I just graduated from university with a Professional Writing (Communications) degree. I am looking for work and find myself facing a bit of a dilemma. I applied for an editing job with an industry magazine back in December and was passed over. A couple of weeks ago, I received a call from the company to come in to interview for a maternity leave position. I feel the interview went pretty well. Then I interviewed for a 3-month technical writing position at a non-profit agency, which deals with people in wheelchairs (I am in a chair myself). Finally, on Friday I interviewed for a 6-month tech writing job with GE.

The non-profit called me on Thursday to offer me the job. There are two issues with this position: it is a summer student position, so I would have to register to take at least one more class next year (I was planning to do this anyway). Also, because it is a non-profit, the job is grant-funded and only pays 13 bucks an hour.

I really don't feel my interview with GE went well and since they will not decide until at least the end of May, I am kinda feeling that one is out of the picture. The editing job is really my dream as far as long-term employment goes, but they already passed over me and took way longer than they said they would to decide the first time, in December. The non-profit needs to have my decision tomorrow by noon.

If you were me, what would you do? I can really see the value of taking the low paying position, because it would give me valuable experience and pay for my course in the fall. But it's only 3 months. I am really worried that after I finish, there will be no new job at the other end. The editing job is a one year position, so that would be great. I am afraid that if I pass on the non-profit, and the other companies pass on me, I will be screwed.

I should add that I admire the non-profit and feel that they do great work. I am also on disability, so the 1820 I would earn at this job would be topped up to 2173. This is enough money for me to live on. I just worry about long-term. I really want to be off of disability and work full-time.

Can someone help me make up my mind?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I would take the job with the non profit organisation until something better long term comes up.
It will be valuable experience, and somebody already in employment generally will have better success finding new employment. Best of luck with your choice.
edit on 15-5-2011 by matt86 because: Spelling

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
First, do you have to sign any kind of contract for the duration of the job? If not, you could take the job currently offered, then move on to another job immediately if it becomes available (not the nicest thing to do, but you have to make sure you take care of yourself).

Second, is there any reason you couldn't do more than one job concurrently? Unless they're both full-time jobs where you have to be on site, I would think writing/editing jobs (even of the technical variety) should have some flexibility as to hours/location worked. You might approach them from that angle, especially if you have two job opportunities at the same time.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What I would do is take the job you KNOW you got, and just do that until you hear back from the other companies. You can always leave your job for another.

Just remember, nothing is permanent. The job you choose to take today doesn't have to be the job you do for the rest of your life.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Hey friend

I would also suggest going with the non-profit, as it suits your heart and your plans for another class as well. It appears to be guaranteed at the moment, and also allows you another 3 months to look for something more permanent. It sounds like the best option at this point as the others are pretty much up in the wind anyway.

And remember, money is nice, but is never guaranteed and there are plenty of people in high-paying jobs they don't enjoy. The non-profit appears to meet your immediate needs as well as keep your other options open.

I wish you luck in your decision and the days to come.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
First off..I'm not a Career Counselor or Headhunter. So my advice is free.

Second..remember, a JOB is where you go, to do something someone else tells you what to do, and how to perform for a fee,whether you like it or not. A CAREER is where you get payed to learn WHILE you get paid doing something you believe you want to do long term. And you still have to do stuff you don't want to.

Based on your options? Take the job while someone is on maternity leave. Get IN THERE.
You'll do fine. You "read" fine for a communications background.
You mentioned GE. Same Company for hire? Are you sure you want them as a company to work for? Careful what you wish for. They're OK....Good pay and benni's..but a LOT of political stuff.

Also...Make sure the Company having an employee take a leave of absence for maternity leave isn't for the husband. Either the Company is too liberal and will go broke..Or too sensitive...

I understand complications in a pregancy....Let the guy go to work. Get a beeper.

Any help?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I have always figured, id rather work at a job I love and take less pay than get payed more and be miserable working there. Maybe the non-profit one? Since you said you will learn more skills and get class paid for. Best of luck with whatever you choose! And congrats btw.

Deebo

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I had pretty much already decided to email GE and tell them I'm out. The chance of them offering me the job (I know they are interviewing at least one of my excellent classmates) is relatively low. And honestly, I think I would like the money but hate the job. The editing one would be great, but last time they took ages to let me know, so I expect them to do the same this time around. I really like the non-profit and even though they pay less for a shorter period of time, I would feel better about myself.

A poster asked if I could work two jobs: Unfortunately, with these jobs, I could not. They are all full-time jobs, which would require me to work in the office. The non-profit is building a website (would be part of my job), but the program and all materials are in the office. I have, however, just applied for a part-time writing job with a acupuncturist in the evenings and on Saturdays.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I have definitely thought about this. I would just feel really horrible if I took the job at the non-profit and then quit if one of the others offered me a position. I don't think I would be signing a contract, but I know they need their website up and running by September and because I love their work in the community, I wouldn't feel right leaving them after I commit.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by Adyta

I have definitely thought about this. I would just feel really horrible if I took the job at the non-profit and then quit if one of the others offered me a position. I don't think I would be signing a contract, but I know they need their website up and running by September and because I love their work in the community, I wouldn't feel right leaving them after I commit.

You have to pay for something for you intersts or hobby. If not, just do the job and earn money!!

new topics

top topics

join