It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How difficult would it be to implement infrastructure for an opensource internet project?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You know every once and a while i forget that a lot of us where their when the internet was created,, and it just makes me want too say,, lol damn

The internet simple

" one home user with a modem and a computer and a large capacity hard drive ( recommended size ,, 32 meg or larger,,at least 128 megs of ram also recommended )
A BBS software set up can also be used,,
now just publish your phone number on any existing BBS system, and bingo internet,,

lol oh ya speeds of 133kb /minute are possible with a U.S Robotics Modem
(just change script in software,,etc,,
ahhh the old days before WWW or BBS all joined together,, net.
edit on 15-5-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Freifunk for example would be relevant:
en.wikipedia.org...
de.wikipedia.org...
start.freifunk.net...
global.freifunk.net...

This was for example done in parts of Berlin:

Berliner_freifunk_netz_03-01-2007.jpg
where the T-Com was not able (not willing) to replace the old phone lines with DSL capable lines for many years.

It needs flashing a new modified firmware into a LinkSys wireless router to allow it automatically finding other routers and build a self organizing mesh network which can automatically route and forward packages to any destination.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I didn't read all the replies so forgive me if this has been covered. We have to remember that TOR uses the existing networking infrastructure. You get it through your ISP. TOR has already been tracked by various government agencies.

To do what you are suggesting would require the following:

NO phone connection (who's got a modem these days or would even consider going down to 54k? Plus digital phone lines really, really don't like modems.)
NO ISP connection. (ISP=government authority)

That cuts your options to wireless or a new infrastructure. A new infrastructure would invite tapping by the government, regulatory hoops ("We have to make sure no laws are broken after all").

What this brings you to is a wireless mesh network. This has been discussed a few times on ATS. Wireless mesh assumes that everyone will cooperate and honesty by everyone using it. Good luck.

Crap, another edit on one of my posts. Two words:

Cellular modems.

edit on 15-5-2011 by billxam because: added content

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrphilosophias

Is ATS as bad as GLP in this regard?

Well the main point is that if you're using TOR, or really any other privacy layer like that .. the moment you visit a public site and log in you've given up your credentials .. so now your TOR link is associated to your ATS username ...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by mrphilosophias

Is ATS as bad as GLP in this regard?

Well the main point is that if you're using TOR, or really any other privacy layer like that .. the moment you visit a public site and log in you've given up your credentials .. so now your TOR link is associated to your ATS username ...

gotcha. I'm banned from GLP so I just want to make sure I know what I am getting myself into here.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
BBS system
using landlines with old style clic,click relays (pulse phone is new,,or is it the other way around ,, forget)
and secure phone numbers.

only weakness is in who gets phone numbers,, but once into the BBS,,all relevent stuff,,, ie pictures etc could be accessed AND transfered completely secure.

in my humble opinion.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
some really great ideas. I will be taking the time to send a link to this thread to the various groups undertaking such projects in the hopes of bringing them together, or that they can glean some good ideas from it. Keep them coming!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
DSL ya we gave up some privacy for faster speeds,, ; lol hey modem speeds suck,,,, but i think the privacy thing kinda mushroomed,, now you can get "fibre optic" with easier to read access,, oppps sorry DSL guys,, lol

its same old,, nothing changes,,

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
DSL ya we gave up some privacy for faster speeds,, ; lol hey modem speeds suck,,,, but i think the privacy thing kinda mushroomed,, now you can get "fibre optic" with easier to read access,, oppps sorry DSL guys,, lol

its same old,, nothing changes,,

There is nothing truly new under the sun.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join