It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Skilled Worker Shortage That Exists Among High Unemployment

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Por que? Lol

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
In my workplace we build computer chips (to keep it simple). 20 years ago (I hear, not from experience) people moved product from one process area to the next, in these areas people ran the machines that built the chips. Now days machines move product from one machine to the next and those machines are ran by computers, people are only involved if a machine breaks, and you need a degree + training to fix the machines.

As an example, a few years back I went an old factory that was being updated. When I arrived there were over 100 people employed to move product from one area to the next, they had been doing it for years. 6 months after I arrived and helped install the automation equipment they were ALL laid off, every single one of them. I felt sick to my stomach the day I showed up and no one was there and I asked what happened. All of their jobs were replaced by me and 1 other guy who maintained the equipment we installed which replaced them.
edit on 21-9-2014 by XTexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Divin3F3nrus

right now my husband works for a company with three workers- the boss his wife and hubby...
not only can he run every machine in the place but he can also analyze the blueprints and make the adjustments need to make it work since the people making the blueprints are doing a $9/hr quality job..
Same with those 9/hr machinist job they are being filled but the employers think they can bring them on right out of those expensive trade schools and let them lose and they will know what to do. hubby's been in the field for well over 30 years now and is still learning new things once in awhile. He's a journeyman now but he was making more money in the pre-reagan years when he didn't have as much experience or knowledge. There were times when we all would have been better off not working and on welfare!
The employers have no understanding as to the amount of skill that is needed to do the jobs they want their employees to do and therefore think that "even a monkey can do the job".
But when they go complaining to the gov't about how they can't find the skilled workers it's like oh our machinists can make over 100 thousand a year if they are willing to work overtimes and blah blah!!
At one time my husband was working a 40 hour full time job along with a 20n hour part time job and he's never made over $30,000! And that was as a tool and die maker!

During the bush years even the teachers were deserting their posts and heading to the greener pastures of wall street since their paycheck wasn't enough to pay their student loans along with their living expenses!
unless you are in upper management or dealing with stocks and other big investments well
you are not valued in our society and well what you neglect will vanish from your grasp eventuallly!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: marsend

Most of it is a scam, many skilled and capable people, are locked out of jobs which they could quiet adequately for fill, due to the now heavy education requirements set up by many of our money making institutions. For example, in the states I could do a straight forward test for a nominal fee and become certified as a welder, providing I could weld, here in Australia, you have to hoop jump at some money making college for at least six months before you could become certified, totally absurd. These days its all about money making and not the skills, nearly every course here throws in a unit of health and safety the funny thing is that they all regurgitate the same rubbish. I find it totally amusing that most of the real world was built by people who could do the work. And these days they are so heavily certified and things still go wrong, where is the reality Many of the trades are a lock out situation, I have friends who can design power stations but are not allowed to wire up a power point, where is the logic in this, and from what I have seen by several qualified electricians, I figure they got their licenses out of cornflake packets, as some barely have the skills to install a GPO, it is a shame and its jobs for the boys clearly a lock out situation. ANNED Oath Keeper Member Registered: 24-5-2007 Location: China Lake At the Edge of the big Empty Mood: The dark side Member is offline. 6,119 284 6,641 52 17 posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM link quote reply i am a veteran that worked off and on as a industrial construction electrician for many years. i can no longer work as a industrial construction electrician or as a electrician in calif due to a licencing law the state put into effect a few years ago. Due to the way they set up the law i have to prove i have 8,000 hours of on the job training as a electrician. none of my old employer are still in business for me to get a notarized proof of employment statement. I was trained and worked as a electrician in the US Navy but that time does not count and can't be used as on the job training.(8000 hours+) Since they would no longer allow me to work my trade i filed for disablity and now don't work. the taxpayers now pay me. I do a few electrical jobs for friends under the table as i only charge $15 a hour. If you hire a state licensed electrician you will have to pay about $55+ a hour due to the shortage of licensed electricians. www.dir.ca.gov... There is one loophole i have found. If something plugs into a outlet i can legally work on it as a repairmen without breaking the law. You would be surprised how many shop owner are putting plugs on all there equipment so that they can hire cheaper repairmen. Take sides! Always take sides! You will sometimes be wrong — but the man who refuses to take sides must always be wrong.

i just wanted to re post what you laid out because it is tight on the money

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join