It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth is a lot older than 6000-10,000 years, get over it!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
After reading this thread I can only think.... ¿WTF is your academic education? Don´t you read? Books? Or some of you don´t trust even school books? Scientific magazines?
In a real educated world, or a real educated country, any country, this discussion shouldn´t even be a discussion!
And before your complaints, you all know what I mean.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lucysadvocate

Wait wait wait whos the ultra christian fool who believes that the earth is 6000 years old? damn people from tennesee

Well, you've got my attention! What's your problem with people from Tennessee? Do you think we are all "ultra" Christian fools? Is everyone, that lives in your area, as narrow minded as you seem to be?

I can't wait to hear your answers!

I agree with the OP about the Earth being 4.5+ billion years old, but the evolution of everything in this Universe, including us, began at the same time it's expansion started.

See ya, Milt

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by yourmaker

No, I'm not trying to accept them, I'm trying to make it about education rather than confrontation. We don't need to insult them to strengthen our position. In fact, I'd say calling people stupid only weakens our point from both the appeal and reason angles. Calling people names isn't exactly appealing or reasonable, is it?

I know that the idea itself is stupid, but to call people, many who are entirely uninformed about the actual facts, stupid is pointless. They are ignorant. I'm ignorant on certain matters myself. I don't know much about textile manufacturing, mechanical engineers, or animal husbandry. That makes me ignorant. These people happen to be ignorant about science, unfortunately their religion tends to cause them to make claims about that which they are entirely ignorant of, thus making them appear stupid.

Sure, some creationists are simply stupid. But any group will have a decent proportion of stupid people in it.

excellent points I can see the error in my ways. but in a way I did it on purpose. it creates discussion.
blatantly calling them out gives them reason to question why someone would in the first place.

Discussion it surely will cause but, of a negative and unproductive nature. Instead, without bias, assert your position either based on fact or personal conviction with perceived fact without insulting others.

Debate can be maintained between parties who are completely opposed to the other sides belief without resorting to name calling and provocation through insults.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Maybe the earth was only created 10 minutes ago with everything on it as it is including everyones memory
of a supposed past. How could we even know?

Sorry this is what happens when I read to much Philip K Dick.

Anyway yeah the younger earth concept is just too silly to believe but these days I'm convinced that some people still think the sun travels around the earth and they don't even know that it is a star.
Seriously I run into some scientifically ignorant people.
edit on 15-5-2011 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The Earth is approximately 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error there).

To say that the Earth is 6000 years old is just plain wrong.

Now, there is actual science out there that proves that the Earth is 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error), where is the science that proves that the Earth is 6000-10,000 years old/

I could have cut this even further since you are absolutely correct.

I would also argue the Scriptures would echo this.

For those whom rely solely upon being "TOLD" what they are to believe thru the Pulpit to the Pew, this is a curious matter.

I have noted this continually within ATS for many years, and it seems we need to be reminded yet again.

3117 yowm yome from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figurative (a space of time defined by an associated term), (often used adverb):--age, + always, + chronicals, continually(-ance), daily, ((birth-), each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever(-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (... live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+ age), (full) year(-ly), + younger.

Yown is the word from which we have derived the term found in the King James 1611 Bible. As it is clear, Yown has varied meanings and implicatons. It simply does not imply a 24 hours period at all. The "Day" period of time could well have been an AGE such as refering to the Day of the Dinosaur. That covers Millions of years alone.

And since that is the case, we have NO Timeframe inwhich we can state the 6th Day Creation of the Races took place 20000 years ago or 200000 years ago.

What we can be certain of and can clearly follow back is 1 (one) thing.

The Timeframe inwhich Adam was created. That is approximately 6500 Years ago. We can trace the Bloodline of Adam, thru Seth to Noah to Abraham, to David and ultimately Christ.

This also is the same means inwhich the High Houses of Europa trace their lineage back to Cain.

This is the ONLY THING Biblically that offers a time frame that can be reviewed and followed.

So, as a Christian, I would stand with you and your comments Maddness. This earth is vastly more aged than 6000 to 8000 years old.

Ciao

Shane

www.eliyah.com...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I have to say, watch Kent Hovind, or Ken Ham. And if you think your smarter then them, good for you. Enjoy going back to the dirt, and living your pointless life as a particle flying through space at millions of miles an hour, with no apparent reason your here, and feel that there is no reason to life, and its meaningless.

Maybe because the world is closer to 6000 years you dont like it cause it makes you wonder, if the Creator Yahuwah did it, He's on your behind soon and your gonna pay for your sin. Make your choice, your gonna be in eternity for a Loooooooooooooong time.....

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

this is a very interesting thread,I feel the two main questions here are ,evidence and faith. I for one have faith in the evidence(that the earth is millions if not billions of years old) while some will chose to only show evidence of there faith

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The amount of trolling from the kids at 4chan in this thread is staggering.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have fossils in my personal collection that are from animals that lived before, and died before 10,000 years ago. Try millions of years ago. One of them being the tooth of a megalodon. Now, while it only takes a few decades for something to petrify or calcify, it takes millions of years for something to fossilize.

Could you imagine the buffet Noah's Ark would've been with these things swimming around?

Also; the Sumerians are 7000 years old, so that casts out the whole 6,000 year storyline.

Here's an idea, maybe God, and the "people" who were made by god, were created 6-10k years ago, and the rest of us were already here. Kind of like the Native Americans when the Spanish & English showed up, of course the Spanish & English were beat by a few thousand years by the Egyptians, Vikings, and Celts. Man... you can't win for losing.

Let's try this:
The Bible is a series of morality tales, not a history log meant to be taken literally. And even if it were, which it isn't, but even IF it were, it still wouldn't be accurate because the men who decided to put the book together, decided to leave out a bunch of books and stories to suit their own needs. How could anyone base a claim off of incomplete data? The radiocarbon dating on my megolodon tooth places it in the ballpark of 17 million years old. I won't even get into the Spruce tree in Sweden that's 9,550 years old, and still alive, or the African Calendar which is 75,000 years old!
edit on 15-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

I have to say, watch Kent Hovind, or Ken Ham. And if you think your smarter then them, good for you. Enjoy going back to the dirt, and living your pointless life as a particle flying through space at millions of miles an hour, with no apparent reason your here, and feel that there is no reason to life, and its meaningless.

Maybe because the world is closer to 6000 years you dont like it cause it makes you wonder, if the Creator Yahuwah did it, He's on your behind soon and your gonna pay for your sin. Make your choice, your gonna be in eternity for a Loooooooooooooong time.....

Not only am I smarter the Hovind and Ham, but apparently you . . . Correct spelling for "Joshua" in Hebrew is Yehoshua. The shortened/post-exile/aramaic form is usually Yeshua. However due to Christians claiming this is the "true" name of the christ, Jews stay away from using that spelling . . . eventhough the greek "Iesous" was also used for names such as Josiah, Hosea, et al, because they didn't have a corresponding letters for the Hebrew "Yod" followed by soft vowels and Greek masculines cannot end in a vowel.

For proclaiming that hell hounds are on unbelievers heels . . . you would think you would spell your savior's name right. Might want to do some work on that avatar . . .

Hovind and Ham have been shot down by anyone with a working knowledge of science . . . There is a reason their "research" is only paraded on YEC websites, they have no scientific backing for their claims, misrepresent/twist accepted science, and cannot produce evidence past speculation and evangelical blustering.

Here is a good article for you to read on the brains of Dr. Dino . . . I even took it from a religious blog, so you can't claim bias. BTW - You do know he is not a real Dr., right . . . He has not one degree in science or medicine.
Dr. Dino's big intellect can't figure out why he is in trouble . . .
edit on 5/15/11 by solomons path because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Maybe the 7 day creation in the bible is very close related to the 7 days of creation according to the Mayans. Where they believe the universe was created about the same time the OP stated and depending on the level of creation we are at depends on how long an actual day is. At the beginning of their creation 1 day was several billion years.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

reply to post by fixer1967

Yep, I actually live not too far from those ruins. But the idea that the universe is older than 13.75 billion years (give or take) is completely unsupported by anything other than idle speculation.

While it may be speculation, I suggest that the universe is older than 13-14 billion years. The main reason They use in coming up with this is the fact that the CMB is too even and They don't knbow how that would be other than putting an "inflationary" period in to explain why areas too far apart for light to have traveled still being smoothly distributed.

But if all matter started at the same point...all matter is entangled, and an inflationary period is unnecessary. That might place the beginning near the 16.4 B year mark of the Mayan Stelae as per Ian Lungold.

But I will say *I* surely don't believe 6,000 to 10,000 years is the right answer.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

Doesn't the idea of an afterlife render this existence more meaningless than if our consciousness is finite? If there is some eternal, incomprehensible greatness to be experienced after this life, as you indicate, doesn't that make the time you have here pointless? What is it but the test of a malevolent being? Why trap us in a world of war and disease when he could easily usher every soul into an enlightened existence? If our consciousness here is as fleeting as we think, if we are but just particles, isn't that even more wonderful and inspiring than the idea than we were created by a greater being for... what? Entertainment? The basic grasp I have of the infinitesimally small nature of my existence fills me with wonder and fuels my thirst for further truth regarding that existence. Something you clearly seem to lack.
edit on 16-5-2011 by v0ice0freas0n because: typo...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Seektruthalways1

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1

I have to say, watch Kent Hovind, or Ken Ham.

I have the displeasure of doing so repeatedly. Kent Hovind doesn't know the first thing about science or honesty, and Ken Ham's argument is that the Bible is god's infallible history book.

And if you think your smarter then them, good for you.

Frankly, I think most people are smarter than them. I'd tend to include myself in the group of most people. Kent Hovind (who I'm far more familiar with) thinks that the Big Bang theory involves a 'spinning dot', then proceeds to completely ruin angular momentum. He also tends to lie, as his story about the Big Bang involves a college professor and an airplane. In it, the professor is supposedly from a college and is asked if there is a merry go round on his campus (you know, the playground spinny kind), and the professor says no...but the college that the professor is supposedly form actually has several.

Enjoy going back to the dirt, and living your pointless life as a particle flying through space at millions of miles an hour, with no apparent reason your here, and feel that there is no reason to life, and its meaningless.

There is quite a great big meaning to life: Living.
Living is its own damn reward. It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Maybe because the world is closer to 6000 years you dont like it cause it makes you wonder, if the Creator Yahuwah did it, He's on your behind soon and your gonna pay for your sin.

No...there's no evidence for the claim. I don't like it because it's not based in the evidence. And frankly, I live a pretty damn good life. I don't consider myself a bad person. I make my mistakes, but I do so at my own fault and I have to pay for them. I don't get divine absolution, I have to ask forgiveness from those I wronged.

Make your choice, your gonna be in eternity for a Loooooooooooooong time.....

Guess I also better get right with Allah, Krishna, Odin, Amaterasu, Amon-Ra, etc...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

The Earth is approximately 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error there).
Citation 1
Citation 2
Citation 3

To say that the Earth is 6000 years old is just plain wrong. It's not even close. It's 0.000131291028% of the Earth's actual age. The scale of wrongness is just so staggering that I can't think of an appropriate way to construct an analogy. I mean, the margin of error on the measurement of the Earth's age is actually larger than the age proposed by some people.

Now, there is actual science out there that proves that the Earth is 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error), where is the science that proves that the Earth is 6000-10,000 years old/

I loathe atheist's. First you start off with an illogical argument that Christians/Jews claim the world is only 6k years old. You have to remember Catholics aren't that bright(one of the many reasons I left that Church). I had a Catholic friend try and tell me the Sabbath(7th day of the week) as defined in the old testament was on Sunday(to those who don't know the correct answer is Saturday!).

The 6-7k BC is around the time of the flood and the end of the antediluvian civilizations. Even if you take a literal reading of the Bible it just isn't possible(meaning a literal reading wouldn't allow for the Earth to be made around 6-7 BC). Because Adam and Eve lived in Eden for who knows how long. Then got kicked out had a family and them and their kids lived for a pretty long time. Then enough time passed that the "just kicked out of Eden" phase seemed to have been Ancient history(like how we view the Greeks/Romans). Then add in flood+ rebuilding.

Just accept that Catholics as a bunch are brain dead idiots who can't even understand their own faith(Catholicism goes against the Bible in so many way's it is sickening).

edit on 16-5-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

For somebody who claims to be spiritually enlightened, you seem to have a lot of hate.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Oh okay, you must have been there when it all began.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by v0ice0freas0n

For somebody who claims to be spiritually enlightened, you seem to have a lot of hate.

Awareness and enlightenment are two different things. But I meant "I loathe atheist's" in a "Like omg I hate annoying atheist" kind of way. He should of known better that "the world is only 6k years old" is a result of catholic stupidity and doesn't even conform to the Bible.

Also I pick up the vibe from the OP and can't help but to mirror it. Don't get me wrong if you play with fire you will burn yourself. But the concept is to produce a larger flame to suck oxygen away from the other flame.
edit on 16-5-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

First radio dating is not a measure of any thing. We do not know that the decay rate has been constant or not.
news.stanford.edu...
Science is not a religion it has proved that only the ignorant would worship science.
Some people will never get that science don't care if there is a God or four. Science can only prove that god is it can't prove that god doesn't exist that would be absurd.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

I follow you up until the flame metaphor. Regardless, as an (hopefully less annoying) atheist who loathes nobody, its hard to not have some sort of reaction. Fleeting as it was. I agree that the 6,000 year thing is a product of catholic misinterpretation, but to me it seem as though you agree with the OP more than you disagree with him, nowhere in the title or his post do I see an attack on all christians or jews, just the misguided concept of the earths age. Your post seems like a reaction to an attack that I don't really think took place. Anyway, water under the bridge.

omg i hate annoying christians

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join