It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to dump stocks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Protect your savings people! Buy Gold or Silver................

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - After running in place for several months, the stock market has recently shown troubling signs of fatigue, leading some analysts to believe that, instead of prepping for a summer rally, investors should stay away from stocks.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I totally agree. Last night I was thinking the same thing. I was watching tv for a few hours and i saw the same commercial like 7-8 times on CNN MSN, SPIKE, and GSN this old guy came on and said sell your gold for cash! And I was thinking why now and not when the price is so high? Pretty strange. I could only imagine what would happen if the stock market crashed. I saw about 2 weeks ago british stock channel has like a 250% increase. Strange

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Isn't funny how Gold was almost at $800.00 in the 1980's?
why did it drop so much? I think someone is manipulating the
economy to keep precious metals low.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Our stocks have been dumped long ago. We have a few mutuals and some biotech (very small amount), but we got out of the market (luckily) while it was at the peak in the spring of 2000.
Right now, we are putting our money into real estate and tax liens and shopping for money market accounts with the highest interest rates. I swear, I can't keep up with the banks the money is in...my husband keeps pulling accounts and putting them in new ones.
As for gold, I do have some gold primarily because my mother in law was a refugee and has a great belief in keeping some gold and diamonds. That's how they got out of Poland years ago.
Interesting that the stock market ended up today. I wonder if the big insitututional investors were urged not to sell.
joey

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I find Bollinger's comments right on the mark. (again)

I wouldnt sell out everything, but maybe re-evaluate your risk tolerance and possible re-allocation.

Bollinger started as just another FNN analyst/commentator, but has consistantly demonstrated level-headed and logical reasoning in his suggestions.
He now runs his own fund organization.

"It's important to pay attention to the [broader] market, but, frankly, it hasn't gone anyplace for the past six months; and, if you take the longer view, it hasn't gone anyplace for the past six years," said John Bollinger, technical analyst and founder of Bollinger Capital Management. "But within those years, there were tremendous opportunities within stocks, bonds, electronically traded funds, mutual funds of all sorts, currencies, precious metals and commodities, all of which investors could have taken advantage of."

"I do believe that the conditions that prevailed for the past six years will prevail for the next six, or longer," he added.

In other words,....stuck in the same trading range for some time to come, with opportunities and pitfalls available in the short-term, for everyone.

And keep in mind the less than spectacular results of market timer's, let alone the common public trying to do the same. If you hear of a tip, or a possible market swing...It is probubly already too late anyway.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It�s a beautiful day in the neighborhood� a beautiful day to be neighbors, won�t you be my�could you be my...oh won�t you be my neighbor?

Hi Kids! Today�s word of the day is �Self-Fulfilling Prophecy�. Can you say that word children? �Self-Fulfilling Prophecy�? That�s when enough grown-ups believe something is going to happen, that they make it happen.

That�s all for today kids� It�s a beautiful day in the neighborhood� a beautiful day to be neighbors, won�t you be my�could you be my...oh won�t you be my neighbor?

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If your perspective on being in the stock market, including mutual fund, is to try to predict what the market is going to do and try to beat it, your style of investing is called market timing. Another way to do it is to work out what level of risk you are comfortable with, balance stocks with bonds, and a few other segments like gold, real estate, and cash. People who learn who to do it that way seem to do just as well as those who try to do market timing, on average. It causes a lot less anxiety.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
High oil prices are certainly going to effect the market negatively.....
anyone still interested in buying stocks?...........Silver and Gold are
up just like I said they would a few months ago. The sky is the limit
with precious metals people, protect your savings as the market will
go from bad to worse in the coming weeks.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
In regard to market timing, check this strategy out. Go to any internet service's finance page. Use the NASDAQ or Dow Jones index link to bring up their daily chart. Click on the technical analysis link. Next, look for the 1D (one day) link and click. Then look for and click on the fast stoch (fast stochastics) link. Two charts will be brought up on the next page. The upper chart will be the price chart, and the lower chart will be the fast stochastics chart. You will notice that the price has fallen when the fast stochastic chart has gone to, or below, the 20 level. Conversely, when the fast stochastic chart indicator has risen to, or above, the 80 level the price has risen. The most reliable way to time an entry into a trade is when the fast stochastic indicator has fallen below the 20 level and then risen slightly above this level. When to exit a trade is up to the individual trader, but typically the price will rise to the 80 level before reversing again, but not everytime, however a trader can exit a trade before the fast stochastic indicator rises up to the 80 level and still have a winning trade. This is an excellent day trading techique because you can enter and exit a trade quickly. Its been my experience that this strategy works approximately 95% of the time. The best stocks to use with this strategy are stocks that fluctuate consistently, but most stocks also work well.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Forgot to mention that this strategy also works well for short to medium term (3 months-6 months) investors as well as for day traders. With the current state of world affairs, however, the shorter the term an investor or day trader holds on to stocks, the risk is also minimized.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Guys, the price of gold and silver on the world market is fixed and has been ever since the Hunts tried to corner the silver markets in the 1970's. Gold prices are fixed by international treaty and won't go beyond a certain range.

I know this because I have a gold coin bought on one of those "protect your investments!" deals back about 20 years ago. The price of gold then was $420/ounce.

It's still in that price range... but inflation has made $400 shrink. So I've actually lost money on it.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Capitalist Pig Enterprises and Wayne Rogers Investments both say
that if Bush is reelected the DOW will go to 12000. If Kerry gets in
it will immediately slump below 7,000. Watch for a huge sell off of
anything military or aerospace if Kerry's numbers look good.

(then, if Kerry is elected, watch for masive layoffs from these
companies as well)

- Per Capitalist Pig Ent and Wayne Rogers Inv

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Based on today's government the Hunt brothers would have been allowed to corner the market on silver. Today's government doesn't have the courage (or will) to stand up to crooks. As a matter of a fact they embrace it. On the issue of stocks.... absolutely dump them. I'd say dump them especially if Bush gets re-elected. I'm putting my money in the Euro. The dollar in my opinion is worthless. I was overseas when the change to the Euro took place. I could get about 1 euro to 1.05 euro for each dollar. Today I can only get 0.81 euro per dollar. We are talking a slide of over 20% in only a few years and signs are it will get worse. What will happen to the dollar if OPEC switches over to the Euro? The future is grim for the dollar and the American economy. Now America has to figure a way to pay for its fake recovery that it had to finance. Oh and then there is that war it had to finance too.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Guys, the price of gold and silver on the world market is fixed and has been ever since the Hunts tried to corner the silver markets in the 1970's. Gold prices are fixed by international treaty and won't go beyond a certain range.

I know this because I have a gold coin bought on one of those "protect your investments!" deals back about 20 years ago. The price of gold then was $420/ounce.

It's still in that price range... but inflation has made $400 shrink. So I've actually lost money on it.

Yes, you have lost money on that investment because of the
manipulation that is going on in the markets but........the house
of cards will be coming down soon. If we think logically, Gold
should be around 900-1000 dollars an ounce due to supply and
demand only comex and other major financial institutions have
put a delay in delivery for any precious metal purchase which
effectively negates the supply and demand parts of a market economy.

Gold and Silver are a finite commodities which has been hoarded
by individual governments around the world for centuries thus the
treaties limiting the value only the world now has a fiat currency
system that basically gives governments a license to make UNLIMITED money based only on paper and the governments word that they will
back such currencies with anything except Gold and Silver! Why? Because there is not enough Gold or Silver to back all of those currencies!

All of the rich people in the world have most of the Gold and Silver!
This is especially true of Monarchies hence the term OLD money as in
OLD Europe. Soon, due to supply, demand and market forces (consumer confidence), the fiat money system will no longer work because of
insufficient commodities to supply the Industrial base of the Western
and Eastern (China) markets. When this happens......hello Great depression II, goodbye fiat currency and welcome to hell.

The only way to beat them in this game is to get as many people as possible to buy Gold and Silver! This will ensure a speedy collapse of
the fiat currency system and the overthrow of corrupt governments
around the world.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Based on today's government the Hunt brothers would have been allowed to corner the market on silver. Today's government doesn't have the courage (or will) to stand up to crooks. As a matter of a fact they embrace it. On the issue of stocks.... absolutely dump them. I'd say dump them especially if Bush gets re-elected. I'm putting my money in the Euro. The dollar in my opinion is worthless. I was overseas when the change to the Euro took place. I could get about 1 euro to 1.05 euro for each dollar. Today I can only get 0.81 euro per dollar. We are talking a slide of over 20% in only a few years and signs are it will get worse. What will happen to the dollar if OPEC switches over to the Euro? The future is grim for the dollar and the American economy. Now America has to figure a way to pay for its fake recovery that it had to finance. Oh and then there is that war it had to finance too.

Forget the Euro put your money in the UKs pound much stronger and backed by metal. I dont know why you would switch to the Euro when there is a much stronger currency out there.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Because I believe at this point the Pound is overpriced. I don't see much room of any for growth. But then again I am not a professional currency trader either

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
pssst......

QTelevision(OTC QBID.PK) launches in September.

The first station in the US aimed ant the Gay/Bi/Lesbian community. MTV jumped on the bandwagon, and is trying to launch their own version(LOGO) in 2005.

Keep an eye on it. Currently at .005

Dump your stocks? Never! Get in off the bounce, get out as soon as possible. Never become emotionally attached to a stock. Do you due dilligence. Buy on rumor, sell on news. That's the only way to make money in stocks. And those investment gurus on infomercials are all scam-artists: STAY AWAY!

GO QBID!

BTW, I also invest in silver eagles( Gotta play it safe, hehe)

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I would really like to understand how currency trading works.

Can anybody recommend a good primer? Or better yet, a reliable link?

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
pssst......

QTelevision(OTC QBID.PK) launches in September.

The first station in the US aimed ant the Gay/Bi/Lesbian community. MTV jumped on the bandwagon, and is trying to launch their own version(LOGO) in 2005.

Keep an eye on it. Currently at .005

Dump your stocks? Never! Get in off the bounce, get out as soon as possible. Never become emotionally attached to a stock. Do you due dilligence. Buy on rumor, sell on news. That's the only way to make money in stocks. And those investment gurus on infomercials are all scam-artists: STAY AWAY!

GO QBID!

BTW, I also invest in silver eagles( Gotta play it safe, hehe)

I would like to see you sell off all of your stock when the market crashes..........fiat money would be worthless and the telephone lines
and the internet would be jammed with people trying to do the same
thing you are.

No one would buy worthless paper (stocks) with worthless paper
(money). The Stock market has built in electronic saftey overrides
which would halt ALL trading.......until the situation stabilized but
even then when it comes, no one will buy anything of value (commodities) with empty promises and worthless paper.

Sell all of your stock and buy as many silver eagles as you can, time is short.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The stock market is far away from crashing. Even 9/11 couldn't bring it to a complete halt. The doomsday sayers need something to ride on, and bashing to stock market is one of them.

In an apocolyptical view, even gold and silver will become valueless. Only material items, such as clothing, food, gasoline, batteries and such would hold value.

I don't invest all my money in the market. I only invest what I can afford. Like I said earlier, get in and out as quickly as possible.

top topics

join