It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly Half Of Detroiters Can't Read-->Depressing News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Reading is so crucial to attaining information and gaining knowledge. Knowledge is power. Illiteracy is a nightmare and bring hellish experience because not being able to read makes life difficult in this information age. This is just very sad.

The data about Detroit grow more depressing by the month. This report may be the most depressing thing you'll read all year.

In a nutshell, it says that roughly half of all the people who live in Detroit are illiterate. They can't read the back of a cereal box. They can't read a weather report. They can't read at all

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
Reading is so crucial to attaining information and gaining knowledge. Knowledge is power. Illiteracy is a nightmare and bring hellish experience because not being able to read makes life difficult in this information age. This is just very sad.

The data about Detroit grow more depressing by the month. This report may be the most depressing thing you'll read all year.

In a nutshell, it says that roughly half of all the people who live in Detroit are illiterate. They can't read the back of a cereal box. They can't read a weather report. They can't read at all

It is a crime and in a country like the US doubly so since we pride ourselves on our achievements. It was interesting to me as I recently purchased some land in Costa Rica that in the late 70's that country removed their standing army and pumped money into eco tourism and education for their people. They have a 91 percent literacy rate that simple blows ours away.
So much for third world countries. They are the new thing passing us like we are standing still.
What areas are we excelling at I wonder? I bet we have the biggest bomb and the most capacity to destroy the planet. Go America! ???

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is sad. I am originally from Detroit and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Thank god I overcame my troubled past and started college, studied theoretical physics and learned 6 foreign languages, and got scholarships to get out of there.

I don't know why any of the people I know there continue to stay. I can't even handle going back to visit my family. Worthless city, worthless people, and full of darkness, depression, and despair.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

It certainly is depressing. Well, they estimate that 62% of Afgans are illiterate, so we're getting there.

How about we think about taking the $6.7bn/month we are spending in Afganistan and spending it in our own hell holes? With the $444bn we've spent in that wasteland that will never become anything but a manufactured cash cow for the military industrial complex, we could take the money and actually educate our own citizens. With a current population of about 890K, we could have spent roughly $500K/person teaching the half of them who can't read to read.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I live a couple hours from Detroit so we hear a lot about it on our local news. It is depressing. A friend of mine inherited 8 or 10 houses from his wife's mother when she passed away and they couldn't even GIVE them away. Detroit is a big city and there are parts of the city that aren't like what you constantly hear about on the news but, unfortunately, it's a far cry from the city it used to be.

Speaking of literacy....I wonder how many ATS'ers are from Detroit.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Promise a man a fish every day and he will never learn to fish.

Then the fish supply dried up, or moved to Japan/Korea to be more precise.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Almost 50%!

Making great progress!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Detroit is more defunct than most of Africa!!!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I bet well over 50% know how to shoot a gun. I grew up in Detroit at 10 mile and gratiot. Warren actually but close enough. When we would head over to the nude bars in Windsor, we never stopped at the lights if there were no cars coming, there would be gangs of people standing on the corner all just staring at you and it was scary.

Almost all the buildings were boarded up or dilapidated and everything outside of a tiny area right downtown was basically a war zone.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

you cannot teach one to read if they
either lack the capacity or the drive.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN

It is a crime and in a country like the US doubly so since we pride ourselves on our achievements. It was interesting to me as I recently purchased some land in Costa Rica that in the late 70's that country removed their standing army and pumped money into eco tourism and education for their people. They have a 91 percent literacy rate that simple blows ours away.
So much for third world countries. They are the new thing passing us like we are standing still.
What areas are we excelling at I wonder? I bet we have the biggest bomb and the most capacity to destroy the planet. Go America! ???

The problem is with the African American community. They are stuck in a state of perpetual helplessness or something in some areas. They are the cause of their own suffering and only they can lead themselves out of the mess they created.

Because imagine if America decided to do something about it, the question arises as to how? Give them a billion dollars? Yeah that would work for about a month. Ohh I know appoint a custodian government! And they would be rioting in the streets unless the custodian government was 110% black.

As a German American there is jack I can do to fix this situation without being "evil whitey", and I am sure the other races of American's be they Irish-American, Scottish-American, Anglo-American, Jewish-American, Mexican-American, Honduran-American, Cuban-American, Chinese-American or Puerto-Rican-American wouldn't fare any better.

They should just clean the city out and spread the residents of Detroit evenly across the country(so as to force them to adapt multicultural standards as Black nationalism has woefully failed them) and give it to the Japanese as a safe harbor option(and permanent green card path to citizenship).

The racism and un American culture of citizens of Detroit is what is dooming the City. All we can do is ease it's fall.
edit on 16-5-2011 by korathin because: fixed a mistake forgot to add "n't" to "would" to form "wouldn't"

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
Jewish-American

Good lord, have we gone so crazy in this world that the Jewish religion is now a race ?????

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Version100

Originally posted by korathin
Jewish-American

Good lord, have we gone so crazy in this world that the Jewish religion is now a race ?????

Jewish as a race is a trick question really as it has both a yes and no answer. It probably is better labeled as an ethnicity in some cases(if you have a group of people only marrying within their own religion in niche areas eventually it will create certain genetic markers[that is really how most ethnicity's/races are formed really]).

So Jewish Americans pretty much play it both ways(can't really blame them too much). That said a person can be religiously Jewish and be a different race/ethnicity through intermarriage or conversion. But it isn't a big issue that someone is different. We should respect and celebrate our differences, not be afraid of them. That is where I think multiculturalism drops the ball.
edit on 16-5-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Pure and unadulterated bull.
I have more to say and will try to put it politely but first I need to relax a bit.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

There are many factors that determine whether or not a person is educated and able to read.
Skin color is not one of them.

U.S. Education Slips In Rankings

(AP) The United States is losing ground in education, as peers across the globe zoom by with bigger gains in student achievement and school graduations, a study shows. Among adults age 25 to 34, the U.S. is ninth among industrialized nations in the share of its population that has at least a high school degree. In the same age group, the United States ranks seventh, with Belgium, in the share of people who hold a college degree. By both measures, the United States was first in the world as recently as 20 years ago, said Barry McGaw, director of education for the Paris-based Organization for Cooperation and Development. The 30-nation organization develops the yearly rankings as a way for countries to evaluate their education systems and determine whether to change their policies. Read more: www.cbsnews.com...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

There are many factors that determine whether or not a person is educated and able to read.
Skin color is not one of them.

U.S. Education Slips In Rankings

(AP) The United States is losing ground in education, as peers across the globe zoom by with bigger gains in student achievement and school graduations, a study shows. Among adults age 25 to 34, the U.S. is ninth among industrialized nations in the share of its population that has at least a high school degree. In the same age group, the United States ranks seventh, with Belgium, in the share of people who hold a college degree. By both measures, the United States was first in the world as recently as 20 years ago, said Barry McGaw, director of education for the Paris-based Organization for Cooperation and Development. The 30-nation organization develops the yearly rankings as a way for countries to evaluate their education systems and determine whether to change their policies. Read more: www.cbsnews.com...

It has nothing to do with skin color but cultural/racial supremacy mindset. That is why I said "some", because there are many other African American communities doing just fine. The cultural mindset of that community which happens to be African American is inherently toxic. It is bad enough they are in a state of helplessness(a modern phenomenon, a likely by product of the Great Society program).

Because of the local mindset they wouldn't accept help from peoples of other races unless that help is a blank check. The problem is money can't solve their problems and affluent members of the African American community have pretty much turned their backs on them so they would need help from outside their community. Help they would never be able to accept. Their group mindset has to be broken up in order for them as individuals to reach their true potential's.

It may not be pretty but it is the way it is. The only other alternative is for the Citizens of Detroit to learn self reliance. This is by no means racial. Look at the trouble former communist countries in Europe are dealing with.
And for all intensive purposes a good number of African Americans have been living in a communist country these last few decades.
------
If Detroit was a "white city"(hmm no White cities left, but that is another topic I guess) and had all the same problems of Detroit now. And it's predominantly "white" population was hostile towards other races as Detroit's predominantly "black" population is now; you wouldn't hesitate to come to the same conclusion I have. The only reason you are claiming a false sense if indignation is because the 2 ton elephant in the room is painted black instead of white.
edit on 17-5-2011 by korathin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BellaMenteI don't know why any of the people I know there continue to stay. I can't even handle going back to visit my family. Worthless city, worthless people, and full of darkness, depression, and despair.

Everyone I have spoke to from Detroit says the same, and I'm glad you got your education and got out of there as I know a lot of people are trying to do who live there.

I hear Detroit city has an income tax too, where does all this money go as they sure don't spend it on the inner streets, infastructure or communities? It seems the local authority has given up and are not even trying, as if they're happy with it staying this way.

Here's a scary look at Detroit that will make a lot of people reading appreciate where they live...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lifttheveil

So much possibility it makes me drool. It is like looking up at the night sky towards the direction of an asteroid belt. They have so much and don't even know it. Very sad state of affairs.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

The only reason you are claiming a false sense if indignation is because the 2 ton elephant in the room is painted black instead of white.

There are plenty of white elephants and my indignation at your racism is not false, it is genuine affront.
When you try to make this about black people you stop trying to repair a broken education system. It is the lazy mans answer to a problem. Why not face realities instead? Here are some reading and literacy statistics for the USA.
www.readfaster.com...
More stuff you don't want to consider or add to your game of coloring things black and white. I know plenty of white kids, plenty of dirt poor German Americans who can't read either. Ever hear of Hagarstown or Allentown? You can count the teeth in the town on one hand. All white people too and dumb as a box of rocks. It isn't a black white thing. It has more to do with the schools and the teachers in them and do the parents have time to tutor the kids or do they have to work a few jobs to make ends meet and so the kids are unattended and nobody follows through. Nobody cares because of false propaganda, reports and ideas spread by people like you.

new topics

top topics

join