It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words seemed spelled wrong, what is up with that?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Sorry bat itz not hapeninng tu mi... Samthing mast bee wrong with u gais...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
I used to be able to tell if a word is spelled wrong, just by looking at it. For some reason there are words that now look wrong to me, but are not.
It is weird.
That one^^^^

With certain words, I am stubborn.
I don't care how many spell-checkers, or how many people tell me it is spelled as - 'weird.'

I disagree. To me, the word is spelled as - 'wierd,' and that is the way I spell it. Due to this, I often don't use that wierd word.

necessarilly

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think it's brain leak. I was an ace speller once, too.

What I've noticed is that I've found myself wanting to misspell* words that I see wrong online frequently. Or repeat grammar errors & run-on sentence structures that I frequently read on message boards like ATS.

Eventually popular mistakes become part of the lexicon. So today's terrible spelling/grammar on message boards is tomorrow's new English.

*this word has been the most misspelled word in this thread, LOL!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

[color=Limegreen]Wierd is a preference.

Like grey. Gray is harsh and ugly, but grey is nice.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by fixer1967

I think its mispelled not missed spelled, sorry but
we are speaking of spelling here, right

Never mind - either is correct - no wonder we
are confused

edit on 15-5-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

Also, its misspelled, not mispelled.

And misspelled and missed spelled isn't the same thing.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's so irritating when I'm typing out something with an American English spell Checker, I prefer the U.K spelling.

Colour > Color.

Sometimes I don't even know what type of spelling I should use, Especially on ATS.

Oh by the way Colour is underlined in red!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Just wondering is anyone esle has notice this.
This is a little like the Twlight Zone "Wordplay"

Spot the misspelling?
Just pointing it at lol.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I before E except after C.......
I have been facepalmed.

link   
reply to post by fixer1967

The problem also includes poor grammar, which is rampant on the Internet, including ATS. The reason is simply: ignorance. A relatively small percentage can write coherent paragraphs anymore and ever fewer are able to use appropriate grammar. Society has devalued it and as parents we've become weak, lazy and indulgent. One does not need to be an English major to speak and write -- to communicate -- in one's mother tongue properly. One only needs to give a sh*t about it. I would never hire someone who can't effectively communicate because it reveals intellectual laziness and/or defiance; neither are attractive qualities in an employee, even in the trades.

link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I'm so busted. Grabbed a chuckle offa that one I did.

It's all good, we all have our days where we erroneously make a spelling or typing error...been there, done that, and got the t-shirt

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Serizawa
It's so irritating when I'm typing out something with an American English spell Checker, I prefer the U.K spelling.

Colour > Color.

Sometimes I don't even know what type of spelling I should use, Especially on ATS.

Oh by the way Colour is underlined in red!

Btw...colour is also the CANADIAN way of spelling too

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

I used to be able to tell if a word is spelled wrong, just by looking at it. For some reason there are words that now look wrong to me, but are not.
It is weird.
That one^^^^
To me, the word is spelled as - 'wierd,' and that is the way I spell it. Due to this, I often don't use that wierd word.

[color=Limegreen]Wierd is a preference.

If you had juxtaposed* the letters "e" and "r" in your word "wierd", then you would have actually spelled out "wired"

* juxtaposed just means to switch the letters around

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I have always considered myself pretty good at spelling and
recently have had the same problem. I am older and thought
perhaps it was due to age. Sometimes I spell out a word and
it looks wrong - I look it up and I have it right - other times I
don't have it right. I put it down to overload or an age thing,
after all we look at a lot of words thru our life.

IMHO crazydaisy (and the pretty kitty) are right on the money. I too experienced frustration with mis-spelling of words and the increasing frequency of this happening. This bothered me so much I spoke with a Dr about it. I was afraid that medications may be having an unwanted side effect upon me.

The Dr reassured me that all is well, and that keyboard dexterity is to blame more often than not. I thought about it later. The longer I've been on the Internet the more sites I find that interest me. It's a matter of time before I begin to participate in threads on these sites. As time goes on, I'm writing more posts in on more sites. With an increase in frequency there is an increase in occurrence.

At the same time I'm slowly growing older and naturally finding myself forgetting where I placed something or forgetting why I went to the basement once I get there. It would be nice to be as sharp as a 19 yr old all our life but that just doesn't happen.

I'm confident you all may have noticed when you are writing on a topic that interests you greatly or in response to a bone-head statement someone has posted, your fingers fly faster on the keyboard. Haste makes waste, in so may forms.

In one reply someone mentioned a Teacher grading papers being frustrated at themself for making errors. If you know a few Teachers you know their job is not easy and their days are very long. People become more prone to making errors when they are fatigued, this is common.

I noticed this while replying in this thread: awareness & perception. I've made many errors while typing just now, way more than usual. I'm well rested. But I've got this great big elephant in the room (so as to speak) staring at me as I try not to make errors while i'm writing about making errors. As the infamous Pee Wee Herman once said: "..the mind plays tricks on you...you play tricks back!.."

Another analogy re: awareness & perception. You buy a used red Volkswagon. Suddenly you are surprised, it seems like there are red Volkswagons all over the place! There are the same amount of these cars as there was days before your purchase. It's just that your attention to this minutia has been recently sharpened, making it seem like the 'unique' is very commonplace. Increased awareness & perception = Increased frequency of occurrence.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmD1
reply to post by TKDRL

Could this have anything to do with the difference between British and US English and what words exactly are you finding looks wrong these days? A little more detail would be interesting.

They are not talking about color vs. colour. Spell check catches that.

My wife and I had both noticed this a while back. Its a weird deal.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I before E except after C.......

I'm pretty sure that rule is what started this issue for me lol. Grade school teachers had no troubles teaching me that lil rhyme, but they forgot to create a nice lil rhyme for the thousands of exceptions to the rule.

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
If you had juxtaposed* the letters "e" and "r" in your word "wierd", then you would have actually spelled out "wired"

Why would I wanna do that though? That would just be way too wierd.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

lol..I have always gone by the old addage of I before E, except after C.

I guess spelling rules have lots of exceptions as well.

I've had the same problem as the OP, looking at a word that is correct ,but looks wrong. Like someone said in their post , it happens to many of us.

I just generally have a problem with spelling, so I try not to take others mistakes as a sign that they are entirely stupid,and have nothing worthwhile to say , as I hope others do for me.

There are definately some spelling snobs in this world ,who love to put someone down because of bad spelling , or improper writing structure just to make themselves look more intelligent, and never give any regard ,or concern for what that person is truly trying to say.

To me that is much more concerning than some improperly written text.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I've been having the same "red line syndrome" problem too. There will be a word like 'exaggerate' and it will take me 2, 3 or 4 shots at it to get the red line to go away. Sometimes I just give up and Google it. It is definitely getting worse, but I am not sure why exactly. It's not just that I've accidentally pressed the wrong keys, or in the wrong order, I have really somehow apparently forgotten how to spell a word I have used and seen many many times before. It seems like I am just remembering it being spelled differently from what the spellchecker is trying to correct it to be. Although it might just be that I am getting lazy with the new spelling aids technology gives us today. In any cell phone text most of these words would be spelled out correctly for me with the automatic text function. On the other hand, I don't even own a cell or use one to text at all, so maybe that's not the case.

Maybe in reading other people's poor spelling and grammar all day on the internet, we get influenced by that somehow to become lazier when forming our sentences too. Or, maybe literacy is a perishable skill and by having the anonymity behind our words that the internet provides, we don't care as much about being judged by our peers as a bad speller.

Or, another theory I like is that with 2012 coming and the collapse of our known universe, other parallel dimensions are collapsing on our own and somehow that is impacting our collective recollection of our shared history. Maybe our many selves are being dragged into a single dimension of doom and whatever slight differences there are between our dimension and the others which are currently most similar to ours are now becoming apparent to us, because they are shifting to one singular path. The path to total destruction.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
Or, another theory I like is that with 2012 coming and the collapse of our known universe, other parallel dimensions are collapsing on our own and somehow that is impacting our collective recollection of our shared history. Maybe our many selves are being dragged into a single dimension of doom and whatever slight differences there are between our dimension and the others which are currently most similar to ours are now becoming apparent to us, because they are shifting to one singular path. The path to total destruction.

Dude, what have you been smoking???
That is one whacked out theory

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I have noticed the same things...I think we just see so many mistakes with misspellings, plural vs. possessive and flat out abuse of spell check (homonyms) That we get used to seeing them wrong and then when someone uses them correctly, it is startling.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Thank you Darce.
I was looking for a way to bring it up. Could it just be possible that some of this is in fact a sign of a time slip?
I know what you are thinking. "OH, no not another time slip thread!" Well it is not and I do not mean for it to become one just saying if no other reason could be found that would explain it. I feel there is more to this than just bad grammar or bad spelling. The thing is I really do not want to use the old one size fits old explanation that time slips have become to explain almost everything. I believe that time slips are very real and do happen but if they have gotten this bad than we are all SOL and good as dead or worse. So lest save that for a last resort explanation.
One crazy idea I have been thinking about (almost as bad as the time slip explanation) is the changes in the Earth magnetic feild could be messing with our minds. Just look at the crazy things people are doing and it looks better as an explanation. Any way at this rate some day no one will be able to read what any one else has wrote.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join