It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Setting on British Power .

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You should all watch the 'Great dictator', Charlie Chaplin sums up the futility of devoting our nation to militarism. (though it was a criticism of Hitler and fascism it's narrative fits the argument)

I'm sorry but I don't want to be an Emperor - that's not my business - I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible, Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another, human beings are like that. We all want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone and the earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful. But we have lost the way. Greed has poisoned men's souls - has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed but we have shut ourselves in: machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little: More than machinery we need humanity; More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost.

The glorification of conquering and empire is an unfortunate symptom of society nowadays. Our power should be measured by our willingness to cooperate not our willingness to dominate. Invest in the future not warfare. I 100% support our soldiers, I have maximum respect for anyone who is willing to fight for their country but the only military we should have should be used solely for the defense of our country and the defense of those unable to defend themselves, not invasion and occupation of others.
edit on 15-5-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by Itop1

1) Remove ourselves from the EU
2) Redirect our income to Industrial Growth instead of Wars
3) Focus more on domestic issues and internal affairs instead of interfering with other countries
4) Pull our troops out of Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya

It's about time the british people woke up and sorted this government out, its like a country of mindless zombies!

Replace the EU with NAFTA, and British with American .......

America is a sinking ship... that wouldn't benefit us so nah.... you can replaces EU with whatever you want, Britian should be independent and concentrate improving relations with france, we need to leave the US to their mess and completely detach ourselves.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill

Originally posted by purplemer

Sun Set on British Power a while ago now..

we seem to be getting away from the original topic

the british power left the uk when our gutless government bowed down to the dictates of brussels.
i some times wonder just what the point of having a government elected by us that ignores our interests
our government is no more than subserveint puppets controlled by brussels.
great britain R I P .

I agree when dave miliband was in goverment he said it was better for britain to be apart of the europe to stop the likes of china and america bossing us british about little stand alone countrys don't have any leverage in todays world

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

1) Remove ourselves from the EU
2) Redirect our income to Industrial Growth instead of Wars
3) Focus more on domestic issues and internal affairs instead of interfering with other countries
4) Pull our troops out of Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya

It's about time the british people woke up and sorted this government out, its like a country of mindless zombies!

I agree with you.

I have to say I'm not totally against the EU, but it needs to be held accountable to the people and not supersede national sovereignty. I'm not sure there is even a middle ground when it comes to the European Union.

I like the idea that another user mentioned of forming a trade block with the Commonwealth countries and I agree about emulating the foreign policies of the Scandanavian countries such as Norway or Denmark who generally keep to themselves.

We really need to get our own house in order before we start sticking our noses into other places such as Libya, Afghanistan etc.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I just dont understand why they have to keep fighting. Stop sticking your nose into other countries business' and lets all just get on with life...War free !!!

Its worse than a school playground !

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
As i am British i have to say that i was saddened to hear that we would lose our last active aircraft carrier and the scraping of our harrier jump jet's after all i still believe that the harrier is without doubt the greatest aircraft this country has produced and yes it is a cause for concern but as i said the other day to a friend our service men and women are there to protect our country not to be used to invade other country's.
It's about time that we stop getting draw into conflict's that have nothing to do with the safety of this country.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by purplemer

Iran does! and North Korea, and Myanmar, and errrrrr Bhutan??? possible Iceland too
edit on 15/5/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

Where do you think North Korea gets its military tech from. How do you think they got nuclear wepons. If Iceland had been standing alone the present economic environment would not of affected them...

k

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Well said Old Boy!

Couldn't have came up with anything better.

Seems we now need the Americans to point us in the right direction.

Sign of the times we live in!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
British, America, and parts of Europe don't need the army's help no more they have ufo that go the 3/4 the speed of light. It's 2011 and time for us to open our eyes to the truth.

edit on 15-5-2011 by DOUGH3914 because: light

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I dont think Britain pretends to be a superpower and knows its position just fine. We have a large Nuclear deterrent which is a backed by an impressive 4th and soon 5th generation Royal Airforce. Our Navy and Submarines are a well balanced fleet (it was the submarines that helped us in the Falklands) and will soon have 2 aircraft carriers from which the RAF will operate. Our Army is of the highest skilled and well trained in the world, adaptive to pretty much any environment from the Para's to the Marines, the tanks, the Apache, the Lynx, the Infantry.

Supported by Special Forces, Gurkahs, large intelligence network, Royal Engineers and (the Scots and Welsh :-) tomahawk cruise missiles, brimstone, stormshadow etc.)

The majority of this is made in Britain supporting a good technical industry and hundreds of thousands of jobs as well as a lucrative export potential.

So I dont think the sun is setting on British Power, its finding its level in an ever changing world.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

That is true, however now, they are standing alone in that they are no give a big fat up yours to the banks. Which is great IMO

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

That is true, however now, they are standing alone in that they are no give a big fat up yours to the banks. Which is great IMO

Yes I admire them for that...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The sun will not set on British power for a while.

Why? Because UK intelligence is MASSIVE. Especially in former British Empire colonies UK intelligence is second to none. Information is power and the British have bags of it.

As an Economic Power Britain may languish down in 6th but in other respects it would be easy to underestimate the nation that once covered a third of the Earth's dry land.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
yes it is

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
The British Army exist to protect the landed interests of the nobility and gentry. Whilst the average rural landowners receives £83 per acre per year, the average urban dweller pays out £18,000 per acre each year- or £1,800 for the average dwelling, which is a tenth of an acre.

If people knew the truth that we are subsidising these parasites there would be heads on pikes

Like the USA, British Armed forces 'Old Boys' are hooked into the Military Industrial Complex, they get plumb jobs with military contractors, the theft of taxpayers monies goes on spent on crap that doesn't work, killing impoverished peasants around the world to grab resources for private corporations.

The British Establishment is rotten to the core. Dirty banks linked to corrupt politicians and criminal military spending deals

www.hmforces.co.uk...

wikispooks.com...

www.guardian.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.allvoices.com...

www.independent.co.uk...

....the list goes on and on.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TREASONFX

Originally posted by tom.farnhill

Originally posted by purplemer

Sun Set on British Power a while ago now..

we seem to be getting away from the original topic

the british power left the uk when our gutless government bowed down to the dictates of brussels.
i some times wonder just what the point of having a government elected by us that ignores our interests
our government is no more than subserveint puppets controlled by brussels.
great britain R I P .

I agree when dave miliband was in goverment he said it was better for britain to be apart of the europe to stop the likes of china and america bossing us british about little stand alone countrys don't have any leverage in todays world

That was all just fear-mongering rhetoric to get the public to sign up to the NWO evil agenda and, in doing so, sign up to the NWO's plan to kill of approximatley 6 billion of us.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The history of the Brisih Empire is anything but illustrious, it's a disgraceful tale of the spilling of blood, murder and rampant exploitation.

The day of empires should be well and truly over. The days where one country exploits another have to end.
The day where we are governed by psychopathic international mafia has to stop.

edit on 23-5-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

One thing to remember: the UK will forever be intertwined with the US as long as the current banking system stays in place. That's really what has driven the US-UK "special relationship" all these years: the connections between the financial centers of London and New York, both personal and professional. Until and unless that changes, any talk of political change is meaningless because the underlying financial architecture is what is really forcing the UK to take a more active interest in external affairs than one might suppose strictly necessary or logical.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

yes the british empire did do a lot of atrocities and usually on the behalf of pioneering traders , but times have changed , the british people can not and should not be held responsible for these acts that was carried out by our ancestors.

please remember that these were the times when if a man poached a rabbit from the land owned by some lord,
to feed his starving family , he would have been hung on the gallows

but the one good thing that did come from the empire , was a common language ( english )
you must realise that without the english language there would not be sites like this one that can reach to all corners of the planet .

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

The history of the Brisih Empire is anything but illustrious, it's a disgraceful tale of the spilling of blood, murder and rampant exploitation.

As is the acquiring of any Empire.
Look at the ritual slaughter of opposing tribes by The Aztecs and Incas when they were building their respective Empires.
Or the complete eradication of whole cities by various Middle Eastern Kings etc when expanding their territories.
Or what about Alexander The Great?
And what about the millions killed by The Mongols when they spread their Empire right into Europe?

And it may have escaped your attention but when Britain was building it's Empire many other countries were also doing the same.
And whilst it may not be politically correct to mention it is still true to say that other countries were far less efficient and far more brutal.
Britain was simply head and shoulders better than anyone else of the day and was highly efficient in it's administration of it's territories.
If you doubt that look at the excesses and exploitation of South and Central America and it's other colonial possessions by Spain.
The French had quite an awful reputation for treating native populations with complete disregard and disdain.

Singling Britain out for individual attention suggests the pursuit of an alternative agenda.

And it is another example of judging the acts and deeds of yesterday by the morals and standards of today.

The day of empires should be well and truly over. The days where one country exploits another have to end.
The day where we are governed by psychopathic international mafia has to stop

Yes they should, but it's exceptionally naive to think it has, China, Russia and the US are still very active in trying to build and expand upon their Empires....just different times and different means.....I wonder how the future will judge them.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join