It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Setting on British Power .

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by firecircle

Why are you being so rude?

I made a thread, and I'd like a discussion on that topic.

Not silly little comments which don't contribute anything or make little sense.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
We need to get out of this neo-colonialist mentality that we have some sort of duty to go around the world and get involved in everyone elses problems. We need to stop painting a target on ourselves by getting rid of the foreign military bases on our island, getting rid of our nuclear weapons and disengaging from wars which serve no use to the countries we have invaded or to our own national security. Switzerland's foreign policy is what we should be aiming to mimic, complete neutrality.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I don't know much about this but isn't the British Empire still alive and kicking but in a different name? Like the "commonwealth". I mean c'mon you guys got us here in Australia, up in Canada, Jamaica, Bermuda, the Falklands and others. From what I can gather the Queen is the head of state of all the realms but with governors as acting satraps but the PM is just for the UK I presume?

This is just from what I see it as, I'm only 17 so sue me.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Did I say you should be ashamed?

So when you join you're told that this is the English Army / Navy / Air Force?

You are correct that I have not. I was rejected from joining Welbeck College en route to Sandhurst at the age of 16, due to eyesight.

Had I been allowed I would have been in Afghanistan now with the 1st Battalion Mercian.

In Living memory my great grandfather served in the Boar war as a drummer boy, and through WW1 including Paschendale at the Somme and survived. My grandfathers served in the Royal Signals in North Africa / Italy, and the other The RAF. I have an Uncle who was decorated for actions at Arnhem, and another who was injured at Dunkirk. another lies in the gun position of his Lancaster at the bottom of the channel. Another uncle was imprisoned by the Japs in Singapore and taken to Burma.My father stood sentry in Berlin. One uncle served with the Glousters in Korea. I have other relatives that served with the US Army in Vietnam.I had a friends who served in the Falklands and the 1st Gulf. And I know people who have served recently in Iraq and Afghanistan. Before all that who knows, Crimea? Napoleonic wars? The India Campaign, The American Wars The Civil war 100 years war???? who knows. Either way the military is in my blood.

I myself was only a L/Cpl in the ACF, but that is as far as I got. for reasons stated above

Am I ashamed? hell no. Should I be? NO? Am I proud of our forces. Yes. I wear my poppy with pride.

Are you any better than me for having served? No! But I guess the only people proud of that sentiment by your reasoning are those that haven't eh? as from you, I sense only bitterness and resentment.
edit on 15/5/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

edit on 15/5/2011 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Modern warfare isn't going to be relying so much on numbers of troops (unless u plan an occupation), it's going to be more about who's got highest number of bombs, planes, subs etc.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Maybe if we got rid of our commitment to spend a ludicrous 100 Billion on upgrading our nuclear arsenal with the US we could afford a fully functioning force.

Having said that I feel it is about time we stopped believing were still the greatest nation, we were once in a different time but not any more, and besides all our armed forces are being used for corporate wars now, Who has Oil? OK we will help come steal it...

The UK was ONCE the greatest most powerful nation on earth, but there again so were the Romans, the Greeks, the Persians etc etc, Empires come empires go, we in the UK need to realise were no longer an empire, were just a small Island of the coast of Western Europe, and need to concentrate on putting our own house in order and to stay out of others conflicts, and if it takes huge budget cuts on military spending to achieve that then I am all for them.

Just wish all nations would cut their budgets on military spending, the world would be damn safer if so

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I could be rude if you like, but i prefer not to fullfill you're personal fantasies. Be aware thet there are a number of Scots who have fought and died as Scots. Not british , Not English we have a right to our identity especially in the face of a truly complex adversity. One which you cannot or will not see.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I don't think that's what he was alluding to.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Well you are to be praised for you're insight- as for me bitterness, no exaspiration as to being refferred to as English or Brittish yes. The last Britain died here in 50 AD and the English are a mixture of Angles Saxons, Jutes And Normans-Why would I wish to be part of such a nation of questionable source?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Got news for you. The sun set of British power about 60 years ago, if not longer ago than that.

Britain really hasn't had much power around the world since the nuclear age began.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
While I agree with the sentiment that Firecircle proposes so incoherently, that Scots have always been the sacrificial lambs of the English military & it's officer classes, I can't help but think all that's for a different thread perhaps ?

And I voted SNP too. Most of the country did. Problem with that anyone ? No ? Good.

link   

Originally posted by MileHighClubber
reply to post by Kram09

I don't know much about this but isn't the British Empire still alive and kicking but in a different name? Like the "commonwealth". I mean c'mon you guys got us here in Australia, up in Canada, Jamaica, Bermuda, the Falklands and others. From what I can gather the Queen is the head of state of all the realms but with governors as acting satraps but the PM is just for the UK I presume?

This is just from what I see it as, I'm only 17 so sue me.

The Queen is Head of State of the Commonwealth Countries in name only. Britain weilds zero power over any of those countries, and the sort of power that Britain had in the days of empire vanished decades ago. The last real vestiges of that power were India and Rhodesia, both gained their independence and the Sun set on the British Empire.

Actually, I've said for decades that if Brtiain left the EU and formed a trading block with the Commonwealth nations, that the UK would once again become a world wide powerhouse to be reckoned with. The trading power and natural resources alone of Commonwealth countries would put the EU and NAFTA in the shade.

link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Well done sir we would do well to remember that- although we do own you're central bank unfortunatelly. We really should stay out of colonial affairs.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

It's spelled Briton. and in 50 AD the island up to the border was still under the control of Rome.

As for your valuable pure Pictish (Scottish) blood. Good luck with that one. Its been shown that most are mixed with Viking. as it is in the east of England.

As for the last Briton having died, Genetic studies have shown that the further west you go, the more genetic markers for Native Briton exist, to a point that generically they are more dominant, than that of the Angles, Saxons, Normans, Norse, Jews, Afro Caribbeans Poles or any other migrating group of people.

So I am afraid that you point is moot. as in the end, it is just a regional denomination just as being English is. You don;'t think we're sick of being "British". or the Welsh too.

The union is on it's arse, and it is something to be lamented, but if it means that we no lonfger have to be associated with close minded drum beaters like you, then the sooner the better.

Most people who know me on here, know I do not attack like this normally. but on this. I just can't resist,

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ATSecretAgent
reply to post by Kram09

Modern warfare isn't going to be relying so much on numbers of troops (unless u plan an occupation), it's going to be more about who's got highest number of bombs, planes, subs etc.

No, it's not. It's going to be about who can crash their rivals' economic standing the fastest and cripple their industries with cyber attacks. World War III will be won without firing a single shot, and America will be bought to its knees by China overnight.

The UK doesn't stand a chance in this type of war, or in a military conflict. China can squash the economies of most of the Western World like a bug.

Why send troops into battle when you can do it all by computer?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Yes, And there is a crap load more Scots buried at Cullodden where the river ran red with the blood of the sons of Scotland. Yes I know, I have been there. I even stayed in the castle where Bonnie prince charlie stayed the night before he went into excile in France errr I mean Skye!!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

I could do it coherentley if you like but I seem to be talkink to an englishman so what would be the point. I do agree though blessed are the peacemakers

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join