It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers get school places and council tax discounts under new covenant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Soldiers get school places and council tax discounts under new covenant

www.telegraph .co.uk

British troops and their families will receive priority access to school places, NHS treatment and housing under a new “legal” military covenant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
been following the build up to this story.

i personally think it stinks of forcing poor people into the army.

a draft but not a draft.

and why now ?

What are they building up for.

** do not get me wrong i think they are entitled to it . i just question the timing . 3 wars / recession..

www.telegraph .co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Wonder what they will do for ex-soldiers. My other half served for 30 years, but is out now. It seems any benefits of service stop dead once you are out.
Sadly this seems to apply to war widows and medically retired soldiers too. The military boots them out of their homes and forgets about them.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I think that if you defend your country from whatever threats of the time are you and your family do deserve special treatment.

Im not in the armed forces nor are any members of my family but id be happy for this to go ahead.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Ever watch the movie Starship Troppers?

Sounds like that.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

Personally I don't think they deserve special treatment above the rest of us.

If this applied to those soldiers who had been disabled then maybe I could accept that, but if I understand this article correctly these privileges apply to all members.

How exactly are British troops protecting us?

They should leave Afghanistan. We have no reason to be there anymore.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I strongly believe is nobody was in the army, no soliders, then there could be no wars, at least physical ones.

Imagine if that happened, would they force them at gun point to fight? That went out with WW1.

What would the politicans do then.

You don't hear small countries invading or otherwise, they're never in the news for wars. For example, Iceland etc. You never hear about their armies and war.

edit on 15-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Pretty worthless if you ask me. Most single squaddies still live in the parental home, so the Council Tax discount is irrelevant. Those who live away from Mum & Dad's, perhaps with a partner, they won't qualify for the discount either. Jumping them up the NHS queue ? Most army guys don't bother with the NHS, there's doctors & medical facilities on camp. And army hospitals too. Think this will apply to veterans ? Doubt that very much. "Military mortgages" ? No offence, but many squaddies have dire credit histories & wouldn't get a mortgage anyway, let alone one subsidised by a mortgage lender.

But it'll still costs "millions" to implement, this. Far less expensive, though, than giving the guys a decent pay rise.

And think of all the positive publicity for the government ... they love our servicemen, don't they ? So much so they're legislating to prove they love them. And so should we love them too, that's the message they want us to take in (just ignore the colonial wars of aggression and such like ... just love our servicemen, citizens). And love our teachers who educate us so poorly for the real world, love our policemen who batter us at demonstrations, love the wonderful doctors and nurses of the NHS who let our nearest & dearest die on trolleys in germ infested hospital corridors.

Just love everyone the government tells you to.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zookey

your right lol it does.

makes it more appealing for those who cant afford an education etc. seen as the student fees have nearly doubled.

I respect those who defend our country , the problem is no one is doing that at the moment.

occupation is not defense.

We are defending the flow of oil, And trying to further destroy the middle east.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
If you are in the armed forces and are putting your life at risk for the benefit and safety of others then you deserve a good salary and other benefits for you are your family.

I have a massive respect for the armed forces and you should too.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
If you are in the armed forces and are putting your life at risk for the benefit and safety of others then you deserve a good salary and other benefits for you are your family.

Yeh i agree but who is benefiting seriously ?

2nd

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

Why?

I respect those who fought in past wars where they were actually defending us from the threat of invasion and tyranny for example the Second World War.

However the occupation of Afghanistan is not "defending" or "protecting" us in my personal opinion.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
what about the people who really protect and save us on a daily basis. firemen, paramedics, lifeboatmen, dr's, carers in nursing homes ect . these people save and protect us on a daily bases and dont have to shoot people in the prosses. just seems like another gimmick to attract poor young people and make it look like are polititions acttually give crap about our troops. if youy want to get top place on the hopusing lists get a smack addiction and pregnant everyone knows that

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tombangelta

Utterly pathetic how so many people are willing to sell their soul for a fist full of cash & a few of societies perks/trinkets.

Roll up, Roll up.
Join the army,
travel the world,
meet people,
and kill them.
Oh & their children too.
Yes those babies are definately radical suicide bomber terrorist, now shut the fcuk up & do as your're fcuken told.

edit on 15-5-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So if the futre to be a citesen and to vote.
you have to have served in the army?
you have no right un till you do.
if they would give people any right at all.

top topics

join