It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Ebola virus, confirmed in Uganda.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Full Story

It seems the ebola virus broke out again in Uganda near the capitol, there is allready one fatality.

Lets hope this virus can be contained, and does not spread, since it is deadly.

Preliminary tests have identified a case of hemorrhagic fever caused by the rare and deadly Ebola virus in central Uganda, a medical official said Friday. A young girl who died in a hospital in the town of Bombo, about 25 miles from the capital, Kampala, tested positive for the virus,

The virus interferes with the endothelial cells lining the interior surface of blood vessels and with coagulation. As the blood vessel walls become damaged and destroyed, the platelets are unable to coagulate, and patients succumb to hypovolemic shock. Ebola is transmitted through bodily fluids, while conjunctiva exposure may also lead to transmission

WIKI

vvV

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
lets hope this sucker makes it to madagaskar before the president SHUTS DOWN EVERYTHING

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Again? Cripes that country goes from Civil war to monkey virus, Ebola is a nasty critter hard to contain in third world countries do to open sewers and bad water sources. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the one that hit the Congo in 2007.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Great... first Middle-East collapse, West following, and now a virus. It won't be long until it spreads across absolutely everywhere! I hope it doesn't, I hope it can be quarantined
Jamie.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Easy to contain because it kills so fast. Sorry, no end of world here.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Of all the diseseases out there Ebola is the one which terrifies me the most. Its a horrible way to die. Fortunately its spread by contact with body fluids so its relatively easy to contain and, as Logman mentioned, it kills so quickly that the opportunities to infect large numbers of people are diminished.

It still scares the bejeezuz out of me though.

edit on 15-5-2011 by MiTS1965 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by flukes
lets hope this sucker makes it to madagaskar before the president SHUTS DOWN EVERYTHING

I hated that bloody game. The only time I ever won was when I started in Madagascar.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I wonder if this virus could be linked to another thread on here regarding blood groups?
Extraterrestrial Threat to those with negative blood types

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ladykay

I doubt it....... but an ebola virus crossed with bird flu........ that might be interesting !!??!!

Now where are those birds migration maps I have lying around somewhere ..

PDUK

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
i read an article somewhere that monkeys/chimps/gorillas can host the virus but they believe bats are the main carriers.
so it wouldnt make any sense to be connected i suppose, as monkey have the rhesus factor and the supposed virus in the other thread only relates to rhesus negative!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by ladykay

I doubt it....... but an ebola virus crossed with bird flu........ that might be interesting !!??!!

Now where are those birds migration maps I have lying around somewhere ..

PDUK

Why, oh WHY for the love of cake, would you want to even think of combining something like the Ebola/Marburg filoviruses and H5N1?. I think I just shuddered. You can say goodbye to pretty much the whole human race.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Suspected Ebola Case in Bugiri

It looks like there may be another update/another case in this situation:

A new suspected case of Ebola has been reported in Bugiri District, hardly a week after a 12-year-old girl died of the disease, the ministry of health said in a statement yesterday.

Also:

"We are enhancing surveillance and have expanded the monitoring to all the six-risk districts until the 42 days expire as the mandatory period to declare an area Ebola free," said Dr Rwamafa.

I was doing some reading on the Ebola/Marburg viruses last night and it seems that this strain is the Ebola-Sudan strain and it has a 30-50% death rate. Yikes!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sundowner
Suspected Ebola Case in Bugiri
I was doing some reading on the Ebola/Marburg viruses last night and it seems that this strain is the Ebola-Sudan strain and it has a 30-50% death rate. Yikes!

Actually, the Ebola-Sudan strain has the highest survival rate out of all the Ebola strains. And Marburg is more deadly. With that movie "Outbreak" ebola got a lot of attention and a lot of different drug companies came up with different medications, enabling a 50% survival rate for the Sudan strain.

But the medications for ebola don't work at all for Marburg. Marburg still has about a 99% death rate.

top topics

join