It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean of Magma Found Inside Moon of Jupiter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is Great, Who would think Jupiter’s moon Io has 400 active volcanoes or more.
You have to wonder, What Else about our neighbors here in our own galaxy don't we have the technology to understand YET? Because we're not sophisticated enough to understand every thing.

I mean this data was from the Galileo spacecraft that orbited Jupiter from 1995 to 2003.
Ocean of Magma Found Inside Moon of Jupiter.
Source: www.foxnews.com...

While the revelation of the ocean is a new discovery, the information collected from the original Galileo mission is actually close to nine years old. But the team didn’t start testing their hypothesis until 2008.

“We saw a signal unexplained in our magnetic field data when the space craft flew by Io,” Dr. Krishan Khurana, a former co-investigator on Galileo's magnetometer team and a research geophysicist with UCLA's Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, told FoxNews.com. “But we didn’t understand what the signal was until many years later, because our science wasn’t sophisticated enough at the time.”

edit on 14-5-2011 by guohua because: Spell Check

edit on 14-5-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

If they could find some extremophile that would rock! All this magma and lava must be fertile for some micro-organisms.
Could pockets of liquids be found on it? Like very acidic water...?

A link to extremophiles and the possibilities for these life forms to be found on other planets. Io seems a good candidate with those volcanoes!
edit on 14-5-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I read this 2 days ago, but never thought of starting a thread about it. Apparently it erupts 100 times more lava per year than earth does.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
reply to post by guohua

If they could find some extremophile that would rock! All this magma and lava must be fertile for some micro-organisms.
Could pockets of liquids be found on it? Like very acidic water...?

A link to extremophiles and the possibilities for these life forms to be found on other planets. Io seems a good candidate with those volcanoes!
edit on 14-5-2011 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

NowanKenubi, Good guestion and I don't know, I checked out the link and I still don't have any answer for you, I did attach an excerpt from the article, It would seem that the magma oceans on earth had to cool and freeze before life could begin. I just wish I understood more.

According to the UCLA research team, both the moon and the Earth went through phases when each had a magma ocean, just after their formation. And it wasn’t until after the magma ocean froze that life was able to begin on our planet.Text
www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chipkin9
reply to post by guohua

I read this 2 days ago, but never thought of starting a thread about it. Apparently it erupts 100 times more lava per year than earth does.

Chipkin9, Not only does it erupt 100 times more Lava like you stated but Io is only 1/40th the size of Earth.

Can you imagine how Hot it must be there
According to the article, Io's stop's it's own heat from escaping the core
HOT, HOT, HOT time tonight in The Old Io Café

edit on 14-5-2011 by guohua because: Spelling

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Thanks! I went to follow the link in your OP, but for some reason got distracted and didn't finish to read it... oops!

I just did now. Then it could be an Earth in the making, or does Jupiter constantly keep Io's sub surface in a constant state of magma?

In the article they also talk about tectonic plates deduced to be present, because of the magma ocean. I guess that would make Io in the same class as the Earth on that or are there other planets with tectonic plates?

Thanks!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

One could make a fortune selling magmascreen since sunscreen will be irrelevant there.

About it preventing itself from loosing its heat... We should find a way to tow it somewhere else to give it a chance to cool a bit.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

NowanKenubi, I'm thinking you know much more about this subject than I do,,,, I think a Magnetic Field is a Necessity, Without that I think the Radiation from our Sun will kill every thing we know off.
I have to ask, where does the volcanic ash go?

While the magma sea reveals why Io is in a constant state of volcanic eruption, it also explains why Io does not generate its on magnetic field.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Don't be fooled by my questions! I know not much about the subject, really!

But I find this very interesting. I mentioned its moving for cooling because of the quote you put in your last post, seeing it prevented the apparition of a magnetic field.
I can only guess it is Jupiter's doing for keeping it active since it is so far away from the sun.

If not for now, the future implications for this planet ( I noticed they called it that way in the article
) are very positive, in my mind. And it is very nice looking. It looks organic...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

NowanKenubi, You know, I really would like to think there could be a form of life, living in the Magma, I mean, They found bacteria at the Hot Springs and the Hot Pools of Water from Old Faithful, Right?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Yes! And in stranger and more extreme places too. But I have to say I didn't mean for the organisms to live in the magma ocean, but close to it... It gives off heat and chemicals which can be used as fuel by some organisms.

That would be nice, and I think Io is a good candidate for it!

new topics

top topics

join