It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamaoka Nuclear Plant Closed In Fear of Future 8.0 Earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The Japanese Times has reported that the Hamaoka nuclear plant is being shutdown.

The Hamaoka nuclear plant in Omaezaki, Shizuoka Prefecture, was completely shut down Saturday following an unprecedented request by the government due to fears of a large earthquake hitting the area......The Hamaoka complex stands in an area where a magnitude 8 earthquake is projected. The so-called Tokai Earthquake is the only one for which authorities compile top-level prevention measures on the assumption they will be able to predict it.

I don't know who exactly is making this prediction, but it seems that the government is concerned, and some are even saying that it may be the Tokai Earthquake that regularly hits Japan.

he Tokai earthquakes are major earthquakes that have occurred regularly with an interval of 100 to 150 years in the Tōkai region of Japan. The Tokai segment has been struck by earthquakes in 1498, 1605, 1707 and 1854.[1] Given the historic regularity of these earthquakes, another is expected in the near future, as was first predicted by Kiyoo Mogi in 1969.[2]
Wikipedia

I give the government credit for taking the site offline if they have reason to believe it may be at risk in a future earthquake. What really interests me is what these people know, and if they have a predicted timeline.

Hopefully, Japan will be spared even more plight against it's people and ecosystem. I hope this turns out to be nothing than just government paranoia. Japan Times-in English

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The Japanese Meteorological Agency has a webpage for the prediction of the Tokai Earthquake. It has some good info, but nothing pertaining to the current situation.
JMA

Here is also a link to a pdf called "Outline of Government Headquarters in response to the Great East Japan Earthquake". link
Updated or released on may 9th.

That pdf is linked from this site here. Can somebody check it's validity?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
How can the Japanese predict an 8mag earthquake?
That just doesn't seem possible. I understand why the Japanese would want to shut the plant down because of the numerous amounts of on going quakes, but how can they know to expect an 8.0 quake?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Hopefully, Japan will be spared even more plight against it's people and ecosystem. I hope this turns out to be nothing than just government paranoia. Japan Times-in English

Government Paranoia??? Seriously, did you really have to phrase it like that???

edit on 14-5-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMessenger1

That's what I was wondering. Do they have information that gives them the idea the quake is coming soon, or is this just a mathmatical probability based on previous information?

reply to post by RoyalBlue

I'd rather have it end up being government paranoia based on lukewarm information than have another catastrophe. Bad choice of words? Maybe, but still a better option.

new topics

top topics

join