It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Huckabee Not Running

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Am I the first poster?

Mike Huckabee just announced that he's not running for President.

Followed inexplicably by a "Huckabee Alert" announcement from Donald Trump on FOX News, who of course is a FOX News contributor and still a potential candidate.

Fair and Balanced my eye.
edit on 14-5-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

One word?

GOOD

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I like Huckabee, but he didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the nomination, lest of all beating Obama.

People tend to bag on him for being pretty religous. They love to preach seperation of church and state unless they can use someones religion to use against them as a politicion.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Some pundits already saying that this opens the way for Sarah Palin. Oh good Lord.

I wonder if Huckabee would end up as a VP on someone's ticket? They'd be pretty much guaranteed to carry the Southern states if he was. Are we gonna see Romney / Huckabee 2012 ?

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
While I don't mind Huckabee, I like

watching him play bass, he jammed with Nugget tonight.

Him Spending money on a election run would be

a HUGE waste....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Am I the first poster?

Followed inexplicably by a "Huckabee Alert" announcement from Donald Trump on FOX News, who of course is a FOX News contributor and still a potential candidate.

Fair and Balanced my eye.
edit on 14-5-2011 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

Huckabee. A nice fella. The only Republican I could listen to without cringing. Although his policies are no different to your typical republican, and he is more the lines of a social conservative. His character though is good, would not mind having a sit down to chat with him. Would most definately not vote for him though.

I do believe though that he was more likely to win the Republican presidential nomination, not as likely as Romney, but close and ahead of the rest. It's good he decided not to go forward, he knows full well though that while his one of the favourites, it's looking unrealistic. I do believe his hosting of a show on Fox had an impact on support for him. Do you suppose he had a chat with Romney and they agreed on something? Who knows.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming

People tend to bag on him for being pretty religous. They love to preach seperation of church and state unless they can use someones religion to use against them as a politicion.

That's a contradiction in your mind? I kinda like Huckabee. He's adorable. But people are critical of his zealotous nutty religious ideas BECAUSE they dont want that element in the government.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I wonder if Huckabee would end up as a VP on someone's ticket? They'd be pretty much guaranteed to carry the Southern states if he was. Are we gonna see Romney / Huckabee 2012 ?

Any thoughts?

I think you might be on to something there.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

To me it is a contradiction.

Why would it matter if he is religous if he can do the job? I don't think it should be used against him, just like I don't think it should be used to his advantage.

Seperation of Church and State goes both ways. If you don't want it used in government then don't bring it up to discredit a politican.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Seperation of Church and State goes both ways. If you don't want it used in government then don't bring it up to discredit a politican.

That's not what "Separation of Church and State" means. It doesnt mean not mentioning religion if someone is a politician. It refers to there being a distinct 'wall' between the powers of organized government (the state) and the organized Church.

The phrase comes from Thomas Jefferson's. The original text reads: "...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."
edit on 14-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Its my opinion and whether you like it or not it is mine to have.

People don't like hearing politicians speaking about religion, but they are quick to bring it up to discredit them. You don't agree with me? No worries, I won't lose sleep over it.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Its my opinion and whether you like it or not it is mine to have.

It is indeed yours to have, but that does not make it accurate. Were debating the definition of "Separation of Church and State", which is definable, and not subject to the whims of opinion. Just like 2+2 always equals four, regardless of your opinion.

People don't like hearing politicians speaking about religion, but they are quick to bring it up to discredit them. You don't agree with me? No worries, I won't lose sleep over it.

And that has nothing to do with a separation of Church and state. Regardless of what your opinion is.Whether you like it or not.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Mike Huckabee would have been a perfect canidate for the way American politics is leaning.
Trump, Palin, Newt....

Bring in the clowns!
edit on 15-5-2011 by whaaa because: code vvvv

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Since Huckabee isn't running, get ready for repubs to heavily (pardon the pun) recruit and beg Chris Christy to throw his hat in the ring. Recent poles though show Ron Paul coming closest to give Obama a run for the money in a general election, but Obama still beats him. So, unless there's a total meltdown of some sort, get ready for a second term of BHO.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm actually surprised..I didn't see this coming and like others makes me wonder whats up. But on the other hand, this will force a lot of religious people who would blindly vote for him to actually look at the candidates. Even if you don't agree with all of RP's issues (and I don't see why you wouldn't as a conservative) you can not question his morals. Same wife, never a scandal, and an impeccable voting record.

And he is straight forward, telling it like it is. I just get nauseous listening to that drowning preachy political banter..its like they go into some kind of trance when they start speaking like that, evading answers and just saying what they think the most people want to hear. There was too much of it during the Fox debate (when Paul wasn't talking lol). I had to go take a Dramamine

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I suspect the reason Huckabee dropped out is to give the evangelicals who would have voted him more time to warm up to Romney's Mormonism.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
I suspect the reason Huckabee dropped out is to give the evangelicals who would have voted him more time to warm up to Romney's Mormonism.

You know, a lot of people claim that Romney's Mormonism is a big tripping point for the Southern Conservatives, but in my experience speaking with folks I know who fit that demographic perfectly, that isnt really true. Romney was the GOP's guy going in to 2008, and most of them didn't seem to care about his religion at all.

But I also think someone in this thread had an interesting point about a Romney/Huckabee ticket being a good compromise for that alleged bias.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnBreakable
Since Huckabee isn't running, get ready for repubs to heavily (pardon the pun) recruit and beg Chris Christy to throw his hat in the ring. Recent poles though show Ron Paul coming closest to give Obama a run for the money in a general election, but Obama still beats him. So, unless there's a total meltdown of some sort, get ready for a second term of BHO.

Doesn't it give you the impression they dont even WANT to beat obama or win the white house this time around?

new topics

top topics

join