It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the meaning of life? I think I may have the answer.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This thread is intended to discuss the meaning of life. I have my own idea about the meaning of life, which I will present here. Feel free to present your own ideas of as well. If you want further reading, links are provided form my blog.

I will start with the point and then unravel my reasoning as I go. Each point I make begs other questions, which I will attempt to answer. The overall pictures tells the story of why I think I have found the meaning of life. My conclusions are based on 20 years of reading as much from every source possible, with an open mind.

As you read along, remember that the oak tree is folded up in the acorn. Information is at the essence of the transformation and unfolding of the branches and the roots. Information can be saved or lost. All of reality is information in movement and form.

What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is to find divine love.

What is divine love?

Divine love is peace and rest from activity. It is equality at rest. It is all possibilities of the pendulum at a state of equilibrium. It is all things being equal and in a state of oneness. This is what the Bible calls Atonement. At-One-ment.

If this love is the meaning of life, why do we need reality to teach us love?

Love starts with God at rest. God is all possibility at rest--Infinity. God is one. Confucius said, "I hear I forget. I see I learn. I do and I understand." God writes the story of reality so you can live in the story. Doing is the best way to learn.

Why did God create reality in a state of imperfection?

God is the first observer. Nothing exists, which relates to our own reality, apart from God. This is not to say that there is nothing beyond God. We have no opposites to compare and contrast His reality to ours, so we really can’t say for sure. For God to collapse the indeterminate wave of probability into motion, our reality of opposites was created in an image of true reality. God is infinity at rest (Alpha and Omega). Our reality is infinity in motion. Mirrors can only reflect something else in opposite. LINK Your reflection appears in opposite when you look into the mirror. Examples are hot cold, good evil, high low, male and female and so on. Nothing exists in our reality without an opposite reflection. You learn by comparing and contrasting these opposites. This is the programming of our artificial intelligence.

Why go to all the trouble?

If we face reality with common sense, we see that we are artificial life forms, bio-mechanically engineered for the development of consciousness. Our avatar body is the vehicle from which we sense opposites. LINK The universe is the kingdom of God. This is a process that is likely repeated across the ocean of reality. Then again, we may be the first material life.

Again, why bother?

The highest form of consciousness is infinity at rest. Infinity is both sides of zero. All positive numbers and all negative numbers, added together, equal zero. Zero is both all and nothing at the same time. Love is the highest goal of life. If man ever develops artificial silicone based consciousness, this consciousness needs an environment to learn self-awareness. Opposites of possibility must be managed to maintain equilibrium. We are all created equal in God’s eyes. We are the only motivators who can upset the balance by collapsing the indeterminate wave of probability. Love is in an eternal balance of possibility in motion. Hate and this wave represent destruction and entropy. This balance of good and evil creates Heaven and hell.

Why doesn’t God just tell us this?

It depends on what He wants. He does not tell us anything that is not already in nature. The Bible is parable and allegory. If he wants us to be remote controlled vehicles, then He can just program it in us. If he wants us to discover love on our own with autonomy, then he must allow for the opposite of evil. We cannot program our own course on the path if we are programmed for good only. Uniqueness of infinity depends on the possibility for evil. There can be no opposites from positive without the possibility of a negative to infinity. God chooses to remain hidden. For now, we are not face to face.

1 Corinthians 13 tells this story. "12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

What is the Garden in Genesis?

Earth

How did God walk in the garden? Does He have legs?

God walks with man for his education into reality.

Why did God allow man to fall?

God was still walking in the garden when we noticed that we had sinned. We are the ones who stopped walking. He already know it could happen. Again, the possibility must exist. We made the choice for our education in the garden, not Him. He said that in the day we made the choice for knowledge by taking the fruit for ourselves, we would corrupt the information in our seed. Evil is death. Balance is life. God was still walking with us, even if we walked away. He still walks in the garden with us. We walk in toil because of our choice. Education still happens.

If we had not fallen, what then?

God and man would have continued to walk in the garden together. We would have been in a state of eternal balance. Education still happens either way. It was our choice. It still is. Each human gets the choice at birth. Walk in love and peace follows. Walk in hate and bias, and you walk in toil. We each learn this by our choices.

What is the flaming sword protecting the tree of life?

The flaming sword protecting eternal life is hate and bias--the opposite of love. Pride results in hate and bias. This is viewing others with inequality. We are made to be equal. Pride says that 'self' is above another or above God. The flaming sword is this pride.

Love is the key to salvation. In Luke 10, we read the story of the Good Samaritan. Jesus reveals the key to escaping material reality. He says to love God and love your neighbor. The Samaritan was the enemy of the Jew. The enemy is the one who loved his neighbor and saved the Jew who fell on the path in the garden. The priest didn’t stop to help. Neither did the Levite. Only the enemy.

How is the sword removed?

Atonement (At-one-ment) through Jesus. This is the meaning of life. Walk with God, not against Him while visiting here in the garden. Christ is the Word mentioned in John 1. This word is Logos. A word is a wave. God is light. In particle physics, this is the duality of light, both particle and wave. All particles have an associated wave. Everything in reality is made from this duality of light.

"In the beginning (TIME), God created the heavens (SPACE) and the earth (MATTER). Reality is the unfolding of information through energy, creating space, time and matter from energy. Genesis 1:1. Remember, the oak tree is folded into the acorn. Information can be saved or lost. God is capable of this for you.

One life is too short to find this meaning. How is this divine justice from a good God?

Although there is no way to prove this idea, reincarnation has been around since the dawn of man. There is good reason to ask the question as the Bible hints here and there to the mystery. The Hebrew mystics take it for granted. Many early Christians, such as Origen, held a firm belief in transmigration of the soul until Justinian declared it a heresy in 545 AD. How many heretical beliefs turned out to be true? Is this necessarily a poor reflection of Biblical truth? Semantics and interpretation have a way of veiling certain ideas, so I will concede the possibility with no fear of Papal decree.

“If anyone asserts the fabulous preexistence of souls, and shall assert the monstrous restoration which follows from it: let him be anathema. (The Anathemas against Origen), attached to the decrees of the Fifth Ecumenical Council, A.D. 545, in Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, 2d ser., 14: 318).”

Divine Justice

In John 3, Jesus talks of being born of the water (material reality). This is baptism. He then says that you must be born again of the spirit. This is when we get a chance to break the silver cord of life. The mortal coil then releases us to the next realm of existence. Solomon mentions this in Ecclesiastes 12:6-7.

As I come close to the end of this thread, I mention divine justice in relation to evil. The reason for this relates to the implications of transmigration. Many people choose atheism because of the presence of Evil in the world. After all, how can a just God allow evil? If you have been in the world before—maybe many times before, in all different situations—then divine justice and evil are proper tools for education. One life seems a bit short, but then again I'm not the judge. Although I cannot prove transmigration as a reality, it definitely is a concept that has stood the test of time.

All of what I have said can be summed up in the words of Buddha. Remember, you are the ox pulling the cart as the wheel of life turns.

Dhammapada
1. Choices
We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with an impure mind
And trouble will follow you

As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart.

We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with a pure mind
And happiness will follow you
As your shadow, unshakable.
"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts and you live in hate.
"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Abandon such thoughts, and live in love.
In this world
Hate never yet dispelled hate.
Only love dispels hate.
This is the law,
Ancient and inexhaustible.

edit on 14-5-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The point/meaning of life IMO is to evolve....whether good or bad. We're all animals after all.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Is there design to this evolution? Meaning?

Originally posted by disklamer
The point/meaning of life IMO is to evolve....whether good or bad. We're all animals after all.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperiorEd

All those bible quotes and you ask if evolution has design or meaning? You already showed your hand and now you want to feign ignorance? You *know* the answer to your question because a 2000 year old book told you.

Why bring science or facts or logic or even philosophy in to the discussion when your views are firmly planted in mythology?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by disklamer

We're all animals after all.

...and dumb ones at that....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I believe the meaning of life is our children. Just think about it, if everyone procreated and gave their child a better life than that at which they had and so on and so on, eventually we would all reach a point of spiritual completeness. We would eventually reach a point in life where we know no hatred, no depression, no stresses, or no limit.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Yfactor1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Jesus said, "If they say to you, 'Where did you come from?', say to them, 'We came from the light, the place where the light came into being on its own accord and established itself and became manifest through their image.' If they say to you, 'Is it you?', say, 'We are its children, we are the elect of the living father.' If they ask you, 'What is the sign of your father in you?', say to them, 'It is movement and repose.'"

Movement quite possibly meaning the motion of love, and repose meaning rest.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Of course there is, We and every living thing around us is designed to adapt to our surroundings and environment. The amount of beauty in the design of our anatomy is unmetered and it took billions of years to get that way! The way we handle events sculpts life around us as we know it!

Surely you may think my opinion is dumb, but to me that's reality and i accept it for what it is. Having faith in a "higher power" or believing we're apart of a bigger plan may bring a sense of security..... Conclusions can be drawn quite easily when you're searching for an answer you WANT to find which makes the end result so much more satisfying however, most often the most satisfying answer often lacks the most validity. (not saying this is the case here it's just my personal opinion)

Hope i didnt stray too off topic!

Regards,

Disklamer
edit on 14-5-2011 by disklamer because: changed millions to billions didn't know what i was thinking!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Our life span is meant to be lived in harmony with Nature...

having a Diety concept is in disharmony with the energies of Nature...

one must both take energy from Nature and use energy against Nature to maintain a moralistic and anthrophomoric 'God' that is supposed to be the Master & Lord of Nature itself...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crimelab

All those bible quotes and you ask if evolution has design or meaning? You already showed your hand and now you want to feign ignorance? You *know* the answer to your question because a 2000 year old book told you.

Why bring science or facts or logic or even philosophy in to the discussion when your views are firmly planted in mythology?

Well said.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I think we over-think everything, and in most cases do so happily within the Limitations of Beliefs that have been handed down to us for millenia... causing us to think too small.

For me, the Meaning of Life is extremely simple.. to have Experience.

To me this world is not a school, we didn't come here to learn any amazing spiritual secrets.. we brought them within us already but we forgot how to use them.

Our souls are not naughty little things in need of redemption as Beliefs say.. instead I see and experience Souls as being massive, incredibly powerful, and.. the driver of the body here on earth.. the little hand puppet we are so attached to as if it was all that we are.

So experience huh? Why? Good questions don't you think?

I liken our experience to that of atoms in a skin cell on your arm.. without that one atom you could not be here to experience anything.. so we employ the body, which is made up of sub-atomic particles to be our Contact Patch with this World.

We then are the atom in a skin cell on a larger arm.. we are part of this Universe and It's Awareness.. if this were not so then none of it would exist at all to be observed.

We are aware and energetic "beings" created by the Universe.. and we are the very means the Universe has to come to know Itself.. or for you Belief-Followers.. we are the Tools 'God' uses to come to know it's capabilities.

Yes, it is very simple... the meaning of life isn't 42 after all

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Sorry. I was just curious what your views were.

Originally posted by Crimelab

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
Our life span is meant to be lived in harmony with Nature...

having a Diety concept is in disharmony with the energies of Nature...

one must both take energy from Nature and use energy against Nature to maintain a moralistic and anthrophomoric 'God' that is supposed to be the Master & Lord of Nature itself...

This raised something that I have been thinking about and studying a lot lately. All of these Diety's/Gods were originally symbols meant to point fairly illiterate people towards searching for what cannot be understood conceptually by the mind, being the transcendent energy or consciousness that both gave rise to and permeates all of life. As time went on and more and more unenlightened or unrealized people gained perceived control or ownership over these teachings the symbols became the focal point of the searcher instead of the transcendence that these symbols were pointing to. Now we have cultures and religions that put all emphasis on the symbols being the sole focal point and thus we worship/pray/meditate to these symbols or people (Jesus/Buddha/Mohammad) who realized the transcendent nature that these symbols were pointing to, instead of realizing the truth for ourselves as they did. Now people will do anything to protect these symbols even though they no longer are understood in correct terms by the majority of people who claim these symbols represent what they believe in. The teachings that gave importance to these symbols is what is important, and further than that, the transcendent nature that gave importance to these teachings is what is truly important.

So they say in Zen Buddhism, ‘The doctrine of Buddhism is a finger pointing at the moon. Do not mistake the finger for the moon.’ Or so we might say in the West, the idea of God is a finger pointing at the transcendent nature, do not mistake the idea of God (finger) for the transcendent nature (moon).

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Nice!

You truly are the Superior Ed on this board.

Thanks for the very well presented post.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
no the OP is completley and utterly wrong. the meaning on life is fundamentally and exactly this-

the meaning is simple.

You have the entirety of eternity, eg FOREVER to exist.

The meaning of life is to create experiences and events that will eliminate boredom.

THere is no specific reason or meaning. Only to forget that you are eternally one, and alone in an existence, but to create and hence eliminate boredom

Basically so that the "one" or universe, can remain, not bored or lonely out of its mind for ever.

There is no other reason, there is no ultimate quest to find love or understanding. There was understanding very close to the "begining" you are one. one consciousness of unltimitted power that is forever alone, and you need entertaining

The meaning of life is to escape boredom. to be excited, and entertained.

Thats it.

think about it. its simple. and fundamentally true

ofcourse that entails that there are also an infitine number of miniture "quests" wher eu must win a game or achieve this, but that is not the meaning. that is the effect of the meaning.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
"The way we handle events sculpts life around us as we know it! "

Very true. I enjoy watching the imagining the tenth dimension videos from Rob Bryanton. According to him and current theories in physics, we play a large part in creating reality from our consciousness. I recently wrote an article about how we create the sculpture of our past. LINK

Of course there is, We and every living thing around us is designed to adapt to our surroundings and environment. The amount of beauty in the design of our anatomy is unmetered and it took billions of years to get that way! The way we handle events sculpts life around us as we know it!

Surely you may think my opinion is dumb, but to me that's reality and i accept it for what it is. Having faith in a "higher power" or believing we're apart of a bigger plan may bring a sense of security..... Conclusions can be drawn quite easily when you're searching for an answer you WANT to find which makes the end result so much more satisfying however, most often the most satisfying answer often lacks the most validity. (not saying this is the case here it's just my personal opinion)

Hope i didnt stray too off topic!

Regards,

Disklamer
edit on 14-5-2011 by disklamer because: changed millions to billions didn't know what i was thinking!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Kids are amazing. Loving your family not only completes them, it completes you. Have you ever seen this girl?

Originally posted by Yfactor1980
I believe the meaning of life is our children. Just think about it, if everyone procreated and gave their child a better life than that at which they had and so on and so on, eventually we would all reach a point of spiritual completeness. We would eventually reach a point in life where we know no hatred, no depression, no stresses, or no limit.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Yfactor1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think that is from the Gospel of Thomas, right?

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
Jesus said, "If they say to you, 'Where did you come from?', say to them, 'We came from the light, the place where the light came into being on its own accord and established itself and became manifest through their image.' If they say to you, 'Is it you?', say, 'We are its children, we are the elect of the living father.' If they ask you, 'What is the sign of your father in you?', say to them, 'It is movement and repose.'"

Movement quite possibly meaning the motion of love, and repose meaning rest.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What is your source for this belief?

Originally posted by predisposed
no the OP is completley and utterly wrong. the meaning on life is fundamentally and exactly this-

the meaning is simple.

The meaning of life is to create experiences and events that will eliminate boredom.

THere is no specific reason or meaning. Only to forget that you are eternally one, and alone in an existence, but to create and hence eliminate boredom

Basically so that the "one" or universe, can remain, not bored or lonely out of its mind for ever.

There is no other reason, there is no ultimate quest to find love or understanding. There was understanding very close to the "begining" you are one. one consciousness of unltimitted power that is forever alone, and you need entertaining

Thats it.

ofcourse that entails that there are also an infitine number of miniture "quests" wher eu must win a game or achieve this, but that is not the meaning. that is the effect of the meaning.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by predisposed

the meaning is simple.

Thats it.

i think this might say something about the life you might lead. Boredom is a very recent ideal, caused by the media... TV specifically.

100 years ago there wasn't a person on this planet that was "bored"

You might want to look a little deeper into the meaning of life my friend

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join