It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Link

Not sure if this has already been posted but it caught my attention. Personally I think the expulsion from the school was already punishment enough, maybe a little extra (community service or something). But jail time? Should a highschool kid have to serve jail-time for something like this?..I'm curious what the rest of you think about the it.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Isnt that pretty much what the facebook guy did before he invented facebook?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

Ya that's what I'm thinking too. I remember watching the movie "The Social Network", and from that movie that's how facebook started. Maybe he might just make the next popular social network website!!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Face book dude did it with a picture only. Apparently this dude took it to a whole other level with derogatory choices and what not. He got arrested with a misdemenor, which will probably end up with him doing community service. Hopefully he is forced to carry it out at a burn center so that maybe he can learn that looks are not everything.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Yea that's what other people were saying. I don't use facebook but it's amazing how much drama goes down on social networking these days. The difference is that Zack can basically do whatever he wants and afford to pay off whomever is offended/affected. This kid has nothing except the backlash of a community enraged that their daughters were public-ally insulted. I can see where they're coming from, but jail-time? Nah...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

He's a disgusting waste of human flesh, he deserves this consequence times 10.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEmpath

Wow that was a bit harsh.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Good lord.

I can't tell you how many times I saw those same kinds of lists while in High School. What's next, dinging people for making the "most likely to..." lists?

I thought suspending the kid for farting on the bus was bad...

Ridiculous.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

He's just a kid who needed to be shown better. He got arrested and probably get community service, hopefully he will learn his lesson. I think you should lay off a little bit, you act as if he raped all these girls and posted their photos asking people to rate them.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Wow a little overboard as far as I am concerned, ya the kid did defame these young ladies but hence forth how do these young ladies gain such reputations. Never the less my opinion is that it was a little harsh. Heck with websites such as theditrydotcom around which if you have ever seen it is ten times worse. You would wonder how this became such a big stir, I guess just due to the methods i.e. handing out the list and posting online, bad choices i guess...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I think it's ridiculous that he's been arrested and charged with disorderly conduct but I guess it does fit in with Illinois law ......

(720 ILCS 5/26‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 26‑1) Sec. 26‑1. Elements of the Offense. (a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he knowingly: (1) Does any act in such unreasonable manner as to alarm or disturb another and to provoke a breach of the peace; or

Source

So if the females on the list felt alarmed or disturbed they can charge him with it.

edit on 14-5-2011 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yea that was pretty terrible. Calling somebody a waste of human flesh for making a big mistake is just wrong, especially seeing as nearly everybody has made a regrettable mistake in their lives. We're human. Not all enlightened, or moral; and all prone to do reprehensible things. Saying he should get 10x the punishment is completely insane.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

For what exactly? Being offensive like every other teenager I know?

I really do not think this is all that bad. The kid basically takes locker room talk and posted it on Facebook. What's the big deal? He offended the people he was talking about? So what. This is a very dangerous precedent to set. It is now considered disorderly conduct if you say something that another finds offensive?

It is amazing to me how the parent of one of the girls thinks that more charges should be filed. There is no crime here. So what if he nicknamed a girl "The Designated Drunk"? Maybe she shouldnt be drinking to have earned the nickname. He calls another girl "The Amazing Bisexual". Again..so what? I have a 15 year old daughter and I know for a fact girls play like they are bisexual and it is encouraged by stupid boys their age. My daughter loves to get a reaction out of me by telling me she is a lesbian and likes to tell me that she will post pictures of herself making out with another girl. So if some boy posted on facebook saying she was "The Amazing Bisexual" I would laugh and explain to her this what happens when you act a certain way. Others do see how you act, they will react and have opinions based on what they see. It is simply cause and effect and everything we do has an effect.

Instead of arresting the boy who talked about it.... why are the parents not questioning their kids about why it is being said?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm not defending what this kid did, in fact I think it was pretty low.

But how is this worthy of an arrest? At most, he should have had his facebook account suspended, and that's only if the website decides that the list was against their T&C (which I'm pretty sure it is).

I mean, the hypocrisy here is astounding. We have these exact same lists come out every day for celebrities on television networks. The concept of rating people on their appearance and sexual behaviors is basically a cornerstone of the American way of life, at this point.

I'm not proud of it, but police action was completely unwarranted.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Sheesh have we become that hypersensative as a nation? I'm not a huge fan of what this kid did but it's definitely NOT arrest worthy. Hell Hot or Not lists have been around since before I was school many moons ago. And OMG anyone remember half the crap people scribbled in our yearbooks about other people they didn't like or labeled one way or another? Kids are gonna be kids. Technology just makes it all the easier. But come on... A week detention doing community service at school and the termination of his Facebook account for violating the ToS is the worst he deserved. Not being arrested.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Eg, if he's to much of a douche to realize he was just upsetting people with his immature teen bs then I'm too much of a douche to care. I hope he makes the hot list in jail though
It's no loss to society to have another shallow dingleberry like him in jail.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerrormasterSheesh have we become that hypersensative as a nation? I'm not a huge fan of what this kid did but it's definitely NOT arrest worthy.

Yep, pretty sad...

Did you know that a wedgie is now sexual assault? Kids fighting in school is no longer a disciplinary issue its a crime.

I heard that teasing each other is now called bullying and is also a real crime.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

For what exactly? Being offensive like every other teenager I know?

I really do not think this is all that bad. The kid basically takes locker room talk and posted it on Facebook. What's the big deal? He offended the people he was talking about? So what. This is a very dangerous precedent to set. It is now considered disorderly conduct if you say something that another finds offensive?

It is amazing to me how the parent of one of the girls thinks that more charges should be filed. There is no crime here. So what if he nicknamed a girl "The Designated Drunk"? Maybe she shouldnt be drinking to have earned the nickname. He calls another girl "The Amazing Bisexual". Again..so what? I have a 15 year old daughter and I know for a fact girls play like they are bisexual and it is encouraged by stupid boys their age. My daughter loves to get a reaction out of me by telling me she is a lesbian and likes to tell me that she will post pictures of herself making out with another girl. So if some boy posted on facebook saying she was "The Amazing Bisexual" I would laugh and explain to her this what happens when you act a certain way. Others do see how you act, they will react and have opinions based on what they see. It is simply cause and effect and everything we do has an effect.

Instead of arresting the boy who talked about it.... why are the parents not questioning their kids about why it is being said?

As an observer I see how it's easy for you to have a very unbiased perspective, but with all do respect, you don't know what it's like to be a teenager in this generation.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Distributing photos with sexual content wording could violate laws protecting minors too. The Facebook founder did it with adults, college students. These are minors. I can see of host of other charges filed...even could be prosecuted as a sex offender. You do not mess with that subject and people underage.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheEmpath

Oh please... being a teenager now is no different than at any other time in history.

There's still racism, biased people, ignorant teachers, bullying, sexual innuendos and discoveries, locker room talking, hatred, jealousy and gossiping, drug use and abuse, suicide, depression, and the ever-present teenage nightmare of making an arse out of yourself.

The ONLY difference between teens today and any other generation is technology that's available, and an overwhelming urge of parents to coddle everything that they do instead of actually DOING SOMETHING about it... like... omg... talking to them and making sure they take responsibility for their actions, instead of blaming everything else.

Plus, there's the overwhelming joy that is created by a society that tells every kid they are a winner, til they get tossed out into the world and realize that is not the case.

top topics

join