Bent Eurovision and why we will never win.

page: 4
1
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Why would you want your country to win this?
Why would you watch this?
Why do 125 million people watch this?

Sometimes I wish i lived in cave, on Mars.




posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Eurovision has been political ever since it was first conceived. Likely winners are decided far in advance, and the outcome has nothing to do with ability.

It's kinda like Olympic figure skating.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Don't worry, brits! Lithuania is with you and we never win or even come close to winning in Eurovision also! ;D We usually end up somewhere in the end of the line. Even our neighbours don't vote for us lol


In your face, Eurovision! This is the best Eurovision song repetition ever -



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Moldova should have won for their Beasty Boys tribute act!



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Eurovision is normally about voting for your neighbour or politics but we did do better then i thought we were going to be but lets face it.....we aren't going to win with the sort of acts we send over due to the fact that Europe is quite crazy when it comes to musical taste.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
As I said before. Anyone can win eurovision. Now that english songs are allowed at least. Imo only one good thing ever to come out of eurovision is riverdance



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure if England actually entered one of our many many famous bands we would win. I think a lot of the smaller countries do enter some quite big local stars. But to be honest how Azerbaijan won it with that song I have NO CLUE. Is it just the rest of Europe have completely different hearing than the rest of us? It sounded marginally better the second time they sang it but really.... I quite liked Serbia's song; I think they would have got a few more votes if it was in English. I could see it as a get up and dance sort of tune. But regardless of the actual lyrics, which were abit dodgy, I really liked Finlands entry. It was the only song with any real soul and meaning... most of the others were just the normal dull pointless pop song. I also always like the Greek entries regardless of whether they suck or not, because they usually keep their songs quite traditional to their countries culture... instead of just borrowing off the sort of UK/America Pop music. I think I'd like to see more countries sing in their own language again... just because you are allowed to sing in English you shouldn't be ashamed to sing whatever language you want.

It's always fun by the time they start announcing scores as my housemates and I are normally pretty drunk by then. So we always have a good shout about why each country should vote for us because what we have done for them lol. One example: Ireland - "Don't vote for us an we'll steal all your potatos," Greece - "Vote for us because the British tourist is essentially your economy" etc etc. All in good humour of course.

It does sound a little bit butthurt but the thing is, we really don't care that much as a Nation. It's not like we need to win it anyway; we have the Olympics next year so I think that trumps the crappy Eurovision 1000 times over. If we reallllly wanted to win I think we would enter a huge band. Although no popular band would want to play it due to the stigma attached to the competition.

I laughed when, as usual, France refused to speak English lol..... So predictable and so painfully obvious why they do it.
edit on 15-5-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)
edit on 15-5-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The whole thing must be rigged. Either that or the voting system does note work fairly. If you watched the vote being given you would notice as my family did that the majority of countries voted for their neighbours. Spain was one of the best, but came around 3rd last?



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
reply to post by cahlmac
 


If bloody Azerbaijan, a non EU, Non geographical Europe, infact Asian country with a border with Iran can be in, we might as well have entrants from Uranus!!

lol, id like to see what comes out of Uranus jackius. It would probably be just about good enough for eurovision



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngtr
reply to post by thedoctorswife
 




And the Beatles, although scousers we can't forget them.


I meant what is with the "although scousers" ? It is hard to tell if he/she was being sarcastic or not and if not what is wrong with scousers?



I'm pretty sure he was joking. Scousers are just the butt of a very high percentage of jokes thats all lol.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
Why would you want your country to win this?
Why would you watch this?
Why do 125 million people watch this?

Sometimes I wish i lived in cave, on Mars.

Because its bizarrely fun
Remember fun? that thing we have when we're not filling our heads full of conspiracy theories.
That cave on mars sure sounds stimulating and a rewarding existance.
No offence intended btw.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Seriously, there was no way Blue or Jedward deserved to win. In saying that, I know what you mean the Baltic states all vote for each other as do the Mediterranean ones and so on.

Why is this not in BTS?



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
Why would you want your country to win this?
Why would you watch this?
Why do 125 million people watch this?

Sometimes I wish i lived in cave, on Mars.


Lighten up.
Have you ever watched it with friends and got completely plastered? It's such a fun thing to watch when drunk.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zookey
 


dude ... really, what have you been smoking?? are you from the uk or have you ever actualy been in the uk?



UK is the European center of Fat Cat's. I pay 50% of my income in taxes to REAL european countries, and 25% in sales tax and don't mind at all because I see what I pay for, GREAT healthcare, great housing great transport.


LOL ... you pay 50% income tax and 25% in other (sales) tax, and think this is better than other countries?? i only pay about 20% tax on all my income, and that gets me healthcare and government help when needed.

housing in uk is good, could be better (as everything anywhere could) ... but it could also be alot lot lot worse .

transport ... ill let you have that one .

as someone from the uk, born and bread in scotland. .. i have to laugh at your view that uk's culture revolves around ireland and scotland being pillaged ... i guess you never heard of robert burns or Robert Louis Stevenson, not to mention the thousands of other masters of music and litrature who have came from scotland (and the uk !)

seriously, read a book or something...

NOW, back to the topic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Its sad, and almost baffling how bad eurovision is for its bias and rigged voting. If this happened in any other multi national competition , or even the roumer of it their would be absolute hell to pay!

Imagine if this was fifa, or some other multi national company who organises multi national competitions ... people would be going to jail... and its this complete overlooking of a scam that i hate!

in my opinion, it shouldnt be countries who vote in eurovision... with the way technology is these days, the people of the countries should vote... not the completly rigged process they use now!

im suprised a country has not sued eurovision for blatent cheating yet!



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noviz
I'm pretty sure if England actually entered one of our many many famous bands we would win. I think a lot of the smaller countries do enter some quite big local stars. But to be honest how Azerbaijan won it with that song I have NO CLUE. Is it just the rest of Europe have completely different hearing than the rest of us? It sounded marginally better the second time they sang it but really.... I quite liked Serbia's song; I think they would have got a few more votes if it was in English. I could see it as a get up and dance sort of tune. But regardless of the actual lyrics, which were abit dodgy, I really liked Finlands entry. It was the only song with any real soul and meaning... most of the others were just the normal dull pointless pop song. I also always like the Greek entries regardless of whether they suck or not, because they usually keep their songs quite traditional to their countries culture... instead of just borrowing off the sort of UK/America Pop music. I think I'd like to see more countries sing in their own language again... just because you are allowed to sing in English you shouldn't be ashamed to sing whatever language you want.

It's always fun by the time they start announcing scores as my housemates and I are normally pretty drunk by then. So we always have a good shout about why each country should vote for us because what we have done for them lol. One example: Ireland - "Don't vote for us an we'll steal all your potatos," Greece - "Vote for us because the British tourist is essentially your economy" etc etc. All in good humour of course.

It does sound a little bit butthurt but the thing is, we really don't care that much as a Nation. It's not like we need to win it anyway; we have the Olympics next year so I think that trumps the crappy Eurovision 1000 times over. If we reallllly wanted to win I think we would enter a huge band. Although no popular band would want to play it due to the stigma attached to the competition.

I laughed when, as usual, France refused to speak English lol..... So predictable and so painfully obvious why they do it.
edit on 15-5-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)
edit on 15-5-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

Can i come over your house next year, sounds like a laugh, no hang on, lets hire a hall and have an ATS eurovision party. Aah no we can



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife
 


Lol, you are welcome to come get plastered with us


I agree, no self respecting band would want to even touch eurovision as it really is a career killer.
I wish Bill Bailey got in the other year. I heard he was running for our entry just for laughs but I didn't hear anything after that.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noviz

Originally posted by johngtr
reply to post by thedoctorswife
 




And the Beatles, although scousers we can't forget them.


I meant what is with the "although scousers" ? It is hard to tell if he/she was being sarcastic or not and if not what is wrong with scousers?



I'm pretty sure he was joking. Scousers are just the butt of a very high percentage of jokes thats all lol.

Im sure he was joking, he's alright, is old jakius.,



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noviz

Originally posted by johngtr
reply to post by thedoctorswife
 




And the Beatles, although scousers we can't forget them.


I meant what is with the "although scousers" ? It is hard to tell if he/she was being sarcastic or not and if not what is wrong with scousers?



I'm pretty sure he was joking. Scousers are just the butt of a very high percentage of jokes thats all lol.


it's just becuase the Scousers aren't really REALLY from the UK, they are the Irish that couldn't swim back!!


Seriously before you flame me. I am being sarcastic. I love Scousers, but I couldn't eat a whole one!!

Besides I'm a Manc so it's expected.

19



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Seriously, there was no way Blue or Jedward deserved to win. In saying that, I know what you mean the Baltic states all vote for each other as do the Mediterranean ones and so on.

Why is this not in BTS?

I thought about that one Kevin, i did think for a moment about putting it in BTS, but its sorta political its a conspiracy, and well it hasnt been moved (yet) by mods. so....



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Seriously, there was no way Blue or Jedward deserved to win. In saying that, I know what you mean the Baltic states all vote for each other as do the Mediterranean ones and so on.

Why is this not in BTS?


That contest managed to make Jedward look reasonably good. Just shows the kind of standard you have with the Eurovision. I dont think as a nation we need to worry about the quality of our pop music compared to that of other european nations. They were nearly all singing in English anyway. They should be forced to sing in their native tongue if you ask me. The winners, both live in north London anyway, so I guess we won the Eurovision in a sense.





new topics
top topics
 
1
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

log in

join