It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bent Eurovision and why we will never win.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ok im just watching the eurovision song contest, i always do because its so bad its good. Im in the UK and i have to say i dont think ive ever seen such a politically biased contest every, and its usually pretty bad. Practically every country has voted theyre next door neighbour highest points without fail. Its quite sickening actually and really unfair and the audience dont see to be too happy with it.
We British will never win it, because we have no friends in Europe, well it looks like it anyway.
Thoughts?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

And you only just noticed this? Eurovision has pretty much always been political and i have NEVER understood why us in the UK are so hated!
Although our song was crap this year, How the bleeding hell are we being beaten by Jedward!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Considering Ireland are meant to be our friends, they were our last hope and theyve only given us 6 points, it seems no one likes us, or maybe, No-one likes BLUE.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have no idea why Blue even bothered entering!

Perhaps they totally wanted to bury what little career they have left!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

oh well it is what it is..i thought the billion pounds bail out to all these euro countries would help ..but its just take take take

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Yea got it on in the background, its always been the same altho UK entries being complete BS might be another reason.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I think its more to do with the people put forward to represent us. Blue ffs....they have always been pretty naff IMO.

People who have a decent music career dont need the money or the fame it could bring, thats why its always has beens.

Everything is to do with money.
Why put a decent singer who could potentially make millions when you can put some 90s singers there to do the job and will love and appreciate you for the opportunity to rekindle their music career.

Its all nonsense to be honest......its called a moron box for a reason you know haha

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BarmyBilly

And you only just noticed this? Eurovision has pretty much always been political and i have NEVER understood why us in the UK are so hated!
Although our song was crap this year, How the bleeding hell are we being beaten by Jedward!

No I havnt just noticed this, if you read my OP you will see that i say its usually bad but seem a lot worse this year.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

I was watching it in passing before and my mum said that the UK has won it quite a few times, but after the civil war in Croatia and Kosovo people have been tactically voting.

Don't know how true it is, anyone care to verify?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well, there's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back!... What a waste of time that competition is. Girlfriend sitting here depressed cos Jedward didn't win! Think it has more to do with the money she had on them than anything else

Kinda glad they lost though because the sight of them jumping around the stage again like a couple of half-wits would have probably put me over the edge!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
As Terry Wogan put it, as soon as all the little non European counties entered, they all started voting for each other rather than the music. At least before it was only the Scandinavians that did that. But now there are so many tiny republics from the former soviet union, that they just totally outnumber anyone.

Oh well, See you next year in that Non EU member, Asian Plate Caspian sea bordering state of Azerbaijan.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
As Terry Wogan put it, as soon as all the little non European counties entered, they all started voting for each other rather than the music. At least before it was only the Scandinavians that did that. But now there are so many tiny republics from the former soviet union, that they just totally outnumber anyone.

Oh well, See you next year in that Non EU member, Asian Plate Caspian sea bordering state of Azerbaijan.

yeah, that's going to be one to look forward to!..
wonder what the odds are on them defending the title??

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

When it comes to REAL MUSIC Britain is streets ahead of Europe and always will be. Anyone who is interested in real music just takes Eurovision as a complete joke. Don't worry about it. When British artists play concerts in Europe they can't get enough of them.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Considering Eurovision is a political hand holding afair, always has been and always will be. Each political friend votes for their own.

The UK has the WORST language skills in Europe, wheras most European countries speak perhaps 3 or 4 languages easy.

Probably a border thing, wheras the UK is an ISLAND (also an island in their own minds).

Best thing for any Brit to do is work in Europe, its an eye opener.

Let's not kid ourselves here, European countries have culture, the UK cannot even get along in its own claim of being multicultural. What is the UK's culture? Invading and pillaging Scotland, Ireland and Wales? Awesome.

Go work and live in Europe for a year or 10.

UK is the European center of Fat Cat's. I pay 50% of my income in taxes to REAL european countries, and 25% in sales tax and don't mind at all because I see what I pay for, GREAT healthcare, great housing great transport. UK cannot even come close to that because of all the FAT CAT GREED and incompetience in ruining their own country.

edit on 14-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

How many of the songs were sang in ENGLISH? Answer........22 of the 25

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
reply to post by zookey

How many of the songs were sang in ENGLISH? Answer........22 of the 25

Yes English is the dominant language of the world and? You do know most likely that would be US English not Queens English

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

yes, the UK did used to reasonably well, but your mum is correct. the voting has all changed now you have all these newish eastern european countries taking over the competition.
i feel the UK should withdraw the amount of funding they put into the eurovision (to get the automatic place in the final) and see how well it carries on. wont be the same, but at least we wont feel so walked over each year.
i am not sure how much funding we do put into the eurovision, as i am too tired to research, but it is a lot.

also, for the life of me, i am not sure why israel is allowed in... last time i looked, israel is not a part of the EU... so why the hell are they able to have an entry, and vote? i also notice they only gave us 1 point...

well, at least we got 12 points from bulgaria, so i know where i am heading to for my holidays this year to spend my money

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
"we" will never win because you still watch your TV 'programs'. Good work!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

Exactly Jackius, and guess who won? Azabajan, there must have been 20 russian countries in the voting, it was massively unfair, and i Know its not realy music and its incredibly naff, but as i said before I enjoy it because it is so awful, I enjoy watching to what depths of seriously awful talentlesnesss and lack of originality it can actually reach.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Did anyone else think OMG Azerbaijan is that 70's/80's couple resuscitated ? - DOLLAR !

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join