It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Ordered to Hire 111 Black Firefighters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
This is forced racial quotas and I don't understand how anyone could possibly be ok with getting hired based solely on their skin color.

101%
I would NEVER accept a job because of my skin color
I am brown skinned, if someone told me that I am being hired because of being brown skinned I would never accept the job
That's SO OFFENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd probably yell at the recruiter despite her just doing her job because of affirmative action

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

I don't agree with affirmative action, but it's definitely needed.
So many closet racist in the world, that they would stop people of color from being successful because they're that hateful.

If no one hired me and I was good at what I did, I would start my own business if I suspected racism being a part of my not being able to find employment. Affirmative action is garbage that allows the best of a certain race/colour/sex instead of just the best.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You should take the job even if the only reason you are being offered it is because of your gender or skin color IF you know you are qualified. Never take any job you arent qualified for, unless they know they are training you if you are a minority. Or it just reinforces the racist and sexist beliefs of others.

But if you know you can do it, dont let someone elses prejudices stop you. Get in, and prove them wrong. It makes it easier for those who follow you.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This is going on all the time. 9 years ago my father, who is the dirt crew supervisor at a construction company, had to fire 4 white men and replace them with 4 black men because of a complaint. Someone decided that the company didn't have enough blacks per whites digging holes in the ground.

After he had to fire 3 of them for repeatedly showing up late he got 3 of them back. Now when he hires someone he has to look at the race ratio to decide which guy he can hire.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Its always black versus white or white versus black.. as if black is the ONLY minority in the US and they deserve special treatment.

Anyway, when you state the obvious you're automatically a racist. If you tell how it really is, you're automatically a racist. I live in Illinois, the place is ridiculous, the laws are absurd, and its the most restrictive state in the country. If you want to know whats coming to YOUR town next... check Illinois. I've told people here things that are going on in this state and have been called a liar simply because they cant fathom that these things not only happen, but are praised as being "progress". Post a few links and they shut up and slink away.
As a minority myself, and not black, I am offended by "racial quotas" and etc. I want to accomplish things due to work or qualification rather than being handed a pity position based on my color. I resent this kind of treatment. Why dont these firemen? ENTITLEMENT MINDSET.

Here :
As of 2010
White alone
(of which 26.7 million are White Hispanic and Latino Americans, see table below.
Excluding these, this category comprises 63.7% or 196.8 million) 223,553,265 72.4%
Black or African American alone 38,929,319 12.6%
American Indian or Alaska Native alone 2,932,248 0.9%

Seeing that Im 100% Blackfeet and I have my trusty CDIB in my purse... if I go by the black folks' formula, I should be able to SLEEP through the test and get the job.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
But if you know you can do it, dont let someone elses prejudices stop you. Get in, and prove them wrong. It makes it easier for those who follow you.

Nope, never
I have my pride

Even if I prove myself me being hired because of affirmative action will haunt me forever
I am compromising my integrity by accepting the job even if I am positive I am worthy of it

Too high a price to pay

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I understand racial quotas for non-skilled jobs such as call centre employee's and other nominal tasks as unemployment in black community's is a problem, this unemployment causes them to be dependant on the state or resort to crime, this causes decreased living standards as they have less disposable incomes to consume good and services- this is a negative for the whole of America becuase if you can get these people making legitamate money you can increase the demand for goods and services, increasing production and economic growth. By getting them into work you can increase their living standards, their levels of educations and pass somthing down to future generations.

However firefighters are here to protect everyone no matter what race and colour you are and people should demand the best firefighters out there to do the job that you pay them in taxes to do. Jobs where you need certain qualifications should only accept the most qualified- wether White, Asian or Black. This is just common sense, the most qualified will be the most efficient worker. Isn't efficiency suppose to be the cornerstone of capitalism?

It is a shame that so many American factories have been closed down which has inturn created a shortage of jobs for whites, blacks and asians. Infact the closure of factories after WWII(especially in California) is greatly responsible for the creation of the African American gang.
Anyone interested in the gang problem should watch this documentary- Made in America. It highlights the causes, discusses what is being done inside the Black community to fix it and discusses what needs to be done. It also gives you an interesting prespective on the lifestyle.
www.imdb.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Racism's doctrines and discrimination (preferences) is always bad unless liberals do it for power. And they do it for power just like the Left did it for power in the days they were the party of the white Klan. They are now the Klan with a tan and they name it lovely.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This seems wrong in every way. If they are less qualified for the job why do they get hired because of their skin colour and being a minority. How does having a certain skin colour mean you acquire a job over someone more qualified?

This means the people who initiated this Hiring are racially biased against whites.
Who are the real racists.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
I resent this kind of treatment. Why dont these firemen? ENTITLEMENT MINDSET.

I guess the test would be, how do they perform over the long run?

It may not be an "entitlement mindset." It may be that the stuff they are being tested on is stuff that you do better at if you go to better schools, or grow up in a family that speaks better English, and it may not really be stuff that affects their actual on the job performance.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous. I'm quite surprised none of the supporters of this kind of thing have come in here to defend it yet. I know there are some on ATS, because I've seen people get up in arms about defending it in the past. Maybe because this is such a well laid out story, with no gray areas. This proves for a FACT that if you are black, you do NOT have to be as intelligent or qualified to get the same job as a white man.

So being white, I am held to a higher standard. I have to work harder and become better, in order to get the same job some black guy can get simply because he is black? Thanks a lot liberals. You not only screwed over some qualified white workers, but you also insulted black workers too. I don't get involved in the whole "left vs. right" thing because it's all a sham, but I will point out when either side is screwing up, and Liberals need to get their act together. THEY are putting into action racist laws, only this time it's against whites not minorities.

Looks like the pendulum is swinging the other way now. What's next? Employers must pay their black employees 11% higher wages than their white employees, because "black people can't budget their money very well, so lets give them more if it" When they hire people because they are black, instead of being qualified, they are saying "Black people aren't as smart or qualified, so lets screw over the better workers and give their jobs to people who don't know what they're doing!"

Black people should REALLY be more offended by this than whites. After all, this type of legislation is basically complimenting white people, it's screwing them over, but still complimenting them. Where as this is a horrible insult to black people.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
this is SOOOO rediculous that this crap still goes on, and racism be damned. this is like if all the white people that didn't get drafted into the nba got together and sued. sure the nba would have more "racial balance", but would the league be better or worse for it???

AMERICA BLOWS, IT WILL NEVER GET BETTER FOLKS, GIVE UP ON YOUR PATRIOTISM AND SENSE OF NATIONAL PRIDE!!!

USA

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
[
I am compromising my integrity by accepting the job even if I am positive I am worthy of it

Too high a price to pay

Its not all about you. Its also about those who will come after you. For instance, the reason you can be that proud is likely because others did take the job, and did prove their worth. And thanks to them, a lot of us didnt have to force our way in.

Because thats what a lot of these people on here whining about affirmative action forget, is that a lot of people got jobs that had been unfairly denied them based on race and gender and did just great.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
I resent this kind of treatment. Why dont these firemen? ENTITLEMENT MINDSET.

I guess the test would be, how do they perform over the long run?

It may not be an "entitlement mindset." It may be that the stuff they are being tested on is stuff that you do better at if you go to better schools, or grow up in a family that speaks better English, and it may not really be stuff that affects their actual on the job performance.

Then they should study harder.

Just google Frank Ricci. The story has certainly been twisted.. but the facts remain the same.

He is a white dyslexic firefighter who was passed over due to minority hires who did worse on the test. Check out what he had to do to learn and take the test.

"Take white firefighter Frank Ricci, for example. He scored the sixth highest on the exam out of the 118 test-takers. Seeking advancement to lieutenant, Ricci not only stopped working a second job, he also made flashcards, took practice tests, worked with a study group and participated in mock interviews to pass the oral and written exam, according to the New York Times. A dyslexic, Ricci even paid $1,000 to have someone read textbooks onto audiotapes, " the Times reported.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

Your first statement is an oxymoron and wrong besides. No more than a tiny handful to use race as a criteria for hiring and it should be self correcting anyway. A company that hires only the best qualified candidates regardless of what they look like should have a competitive advantage over the company that only hires the best white/black/red/ candidates and ignores any better qualified candidates not of the chosen skin color. The market should take care of anyone discriminating in hiring. That is of course if the pool of best candidates mirrors the demographics of general pool of employees, something that is also up to debate.

Same thing should be true in sales. If you turn away qualified motivated buyers for your product merely because you don't like their skin color you should hurt your bottom line. In today's America I would also contend you will see a backlash against your prejudice from customers you consider acceptable. I think many, if not most, Americans would refuse to shop at a retail outlet that openly discriminates.

What we have today is discrimination by the government. The remedy for racism is never more racism, especially racism enforced at the barrel of a gun.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. Maybe these guys wanted to study harder for the test and no one was handing out copies of the old tests to them.

www.emsworld.com...$818

CHICAGO -- For the past two years, nearly 99 percent of Chicago firefighters passed the EMT test, but a Unit 5 investigation raised concerns that firefighters were cheating because they had access to old exams. The state used a new emergency medical technician test three weeks ago and the results have arrived.

Almost 40 percent of Chicago firefighters who took the EMT exam three weeks ago failed, reports NBC5's Mary Ann Ahern. Those results raise more questions about whether firefighter EMTs cheated on past tests and whether they are truly qualified to do their jobs.

www.amren.com...

Nearly five years after outside consultants concluded that an “enormous” racial divide plagued the Chicago Fire Department, city officials are divided over whether recent racial incidents are isolated or clear illustrations that the old problem hasn’t been fixed.

But after the third time in less than a month that slurs were broadcast over departmental radio frequencies, concern was evident Tuesday in both camps.

“The fact of the matter is, you do have some racists out there in the Fire Department,” said Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th), chairman of the City Council’s Police and Fire Committee. “There’s no doubt the department has had many, many racial problems in its history, and they’re not going away.”

Carothers’ committee will hold a hearing on Wednesday on the offensive radio transmissions, and the council’s Human Relations Committee also will convene a hearing, said Ald. Billy Ocasio (26th), its chairman.

In late 1997, a videotape of a firehouse retirement party held seven years earlier surfaced. Firefighters were caught on tape drinking, exposing themselves and making racial slurs.

In 1998, six firefighters were suspended for harassing an American Indian colleague.

Capt. Ezra McCann, an African-American firefighter who brought the party videotape to the attention of department officials, charged Tuesday that the city performs “damage control” after racial incidents “and then it’s back to business as usual.

www.sfweekly.com...

Black Firefighters Say SFFD Officer Helped White Colleagues Cheat on Exam

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Advantage

Sometimes where there is smoke there is fire. Maybe these guys wanted to study harder for the test and no one was handing out copies of the old tests to them.

www.emsworld.com...$818

CHICAGO -- For the past two years, nearly 99 percent of Chicago firefighters passed the EMT test, but a Unit 5 investigation raised concerns that firefighters were cheating because they had access to old exams. The state used a new emergency medical technician test three weeks ago and the results have arrived.

Almost 40 percent of Chicago firefighters who took the EMT exam three weeks ago failed, reports NBC5's Mary Ann Ahern. Those results raise more questions about whether firefighter EMTs cheated on past tests and whether they are truly qualified to do their jobs.

www.amren.com...

Nearly five years after outside consultants concluded that an “enormous” racial divide plagued the Chicago Fire Department, city officials are divided over whether recent racial incidents are isolated or clear illustrations that the old problem hasn’t been fixed.

But after the third time in less than a month that slurs were broadcast over departmental radio frequencies, concern was evident Tuesday in both camps.

“The fact of the matter is, you do have some racists out there in the Fire Department,” said Ald. Isaac Carothers (29th), chairman of the City Council’s Police and Fire Committee. “There’s no doubt the department has had many, many racial problems in its history, and they’re not going away.”

Carothers’ committee will hold a hearing on Wednesday on the offensive radio transmissions, and the council’s Human Relations Committee also will convene a hearing, said Ald. Billy Ocasio (26th), its chairman.

In late 1997, a videotape of a firehouse retirement party held seven years earlier surfaced. Firefighters were caught on tape drinking, exposing themselves and making racial slurs.

In 1998, six firefighters were suspended for harassing an American Indian colleague.

Capt. Ezra McCann, an African-American firefighter who brought the party videotape to the attention of department officials, charged Tuesday that the city performs “damage control” after racial incidents “and then it’s back to business as usual.

www.sfweekly.com...

Black Firefighters Say SFFD Officer Helped White Colleagues Cheat on Exam

Don't be so quick to discount everyone...seems it wasn't just "whites".

Baltimore Black Firefighters also

Your argument is null anyway

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
this thread got me to thinking being of irish ancestry has given me a different perspective than most.

i just found this webpage and i am reading it makes some interesting points.

www.pitt.edu...

How the Irish Became White

is the name of it.

as it says racism is a social construct and as long as we all continue to perpetuate differneces this current social will never be color blind.

and thats pertains to the op to go beyond our eyes.

edit on 14-5-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

So, let me get this right. You are saying in a fire department where racism is a fact no one denies, where there is video and audio evidence of it, and in a fire department where cheating is a fact, (regardless if the one guy was cleared of helping white to cheat on their promotion exams) that it is beyond the realm of possible that some white candidates may be doing better on the entrance exam because they are getting copies of the old tests from friends and relatives in the fire department?

In Chicago. Where multiple generations (usually of Irish ) are firemen and cops?

You are right. What a ridiculous theory.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

reply to post by superman2012

So, let me get this right. You are saying in a fire department where racism is a fact no one denies, where there is video and audio evidence of it, and in a fire department where cheating is a fact, (regardless if the one guy was cleared of helping white to cheat on their promotion exams) that it is beyond the realm of possible that some white candidates may be doing better on the entrance exam because they are getting copies of the old tests from friends and relatives in the fire department?

In Chicago. Where multiple generations (usually of Irish ) are firemen and cops?

You are right. What a ridiculous theory.

First of all, racism is a two way street. Cheating is cheating. It doesn't matter what colour your skin is. I never once typed that is beyond the realm of possible, what I was saying was, your argument that whites are doing better and there are more of them being hired is due to cheating is incorrect. Blacks cheat, whites cheat. I am sure with some checking I could find just about every "colour" that has cheated.

Are YOU saying that the only reason why more whites are hired is because they are cheating? Sources please. I have listed mine.

Thanks for seeing that your theory is ridiculous...anytime I can help someone deny ignorance is a good day.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join