It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't forget your knife could save your life! Respect it and choose well.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Jinglelord

Holy hell, those are some very expensive knives! But boy are they nice.... Another time I wish I was filthy rich!

If you surf around for awhile you will find some of the most fantastic custom knives. If I ever have the extra time and money I have a design I came up with for a secure lexan and maple display case that will take up an entire wall just for Guns, Swords, and knives.

Some of the custom knives made in Eastern Europe actually look really good for much better prices. I haven't risked it yet but one of these days I probably will at least try one of them out.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

I would tend to agree with your wife on the decorated knives - I'm not a girly girl by any means. And yes, my husband is a wise man, and a very good one too! I'll keep him.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinglelord
I saw skinny Chinese woman in her 60s flip a 200lb man with little effort. The real great equalizer is the Chinese soft style martial arts.

I'm no martial arts expert, but as far as I know, the key to mastering so-called "soft" martial arts is to be as relaxed as possible. Not the most practical foundation for self defense purposes, if you ask me! (Also, most Aikido "fights" are blatantly staged, but I'm sure you already knew this.)

Another thing to point out, women in general have a greater pain tolerance than men. If we speak in generalities you are more likely going to be able to keep fighting.

I'm sorry, but this is actually an old myth that's been "busted" since at least 2002. Yeah, the female body naturally produces chemicals that make the pain of childbirth more tolerable (which probably accounts for the origin of the myth), but generally speaking, women tend to have a lower threshold for pain than men.

Proteins May Be Key to Pain Differences between Men and Women
By Sarah Graham | December 18, 2002

When it comes to pain, guys may be tougher than gals because they have more of a particular type of protein, new research suggests. Two studies published online this week by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences implicate proteins known as GIRKs in sex-based differences in pain sensitivity in mice. The findings could help researchers develop new gender-specific treatments for discomfort.

Previous research had shown that males tend to have a higher threshold for pain than females do and that medications affect the sexes differently, although the precise mechanism remained unclear. In the new work, scientists tested analgesic drugs on mice unable to produce the GIRK2 protein. Allan I. Basbaum of Rockefeller University and his colleagues found that male mutants had lower pain thresholds than normal male mice. Female mutants exhibited a tolerance comparable to that of their normal counterparts, however, suggesting that GIRK2 is responsible for sex differences in pain sensitivity. Male mutants also did not respond as favorably to two pain medications, clonidine and morphine, as the normal animals did.

In the second study, R. Adron Harris of the University of Texas at Austin and his colleagues tested varying types of palliative drugs on the mutant mice and found that they all activate GIRK2. The drugs still had some effect on the mutant mice, however, so other pain-mediating mechanisms are most likely at work as well.

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pikappa

A soft style martial art is about control of actions and motions. It is about directing all of your energy. Not is some esoteric way but to be able to center your mass and direct every bit of movement from your body into a strike or hold.

I have no experience with Akido so I can't really say. I have studied some Kung Fu styles and am familiar with Tai Chi Chuan. And I can say with no doubt that it is a weak self defense style until you have achieved some level of mastery. These guys do not spar and put on fighting exhibitions. Some such as Shaolin Monks might put on displays to show off and get new pupils but even then it isn't usually with a sparring competition.

The reason for this is most of the moves concentrate on causing serious injury. In a real fight Bruce Lee would have owned Chuck Norris five ways from Sunday.

It is about relaxing. When you are all tensed up you are not as effective and are relying only on your muscle strength. If you relax you can rely on other forces such as inertia and be able to respond much faster with your quick reflex muscles over your slow strength.

Most training is done very slow for this reason. The goal being to perfect your movements so when it is time to move fast you are not wasting a bit of energy. I have literally watched a Tai Chi Chuan Sifu move with such speed that I couldn't even perceive his limbs moving before I flew across the room. I am 200lb over 6' and at the time could push a full size 80s Caddilac around a parking lot with no effort.

You are right about the female pain tolerance... I even knew that don't know what came over me!

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
-Previous research had shown that males tend to have a higher threshold for pain than females do and that medications affect the sexes differently, although the precise mechanism remained unclear. In the new work, scientists tested analgesic drugs on mice unable to produce the GIRK2 protein. Allan I. Basbaum of Rockefeller University and his colleagues found that male mutants had lower pain thresholds than normal male mice. Female mutants exhibited a tolerance comparable to that of their normal counterparts, however, suggesting that GIRK2 is responsible for sex differences in pain sensitivity. Male mutants also did not respond as favorably to two pain medications, clonidine and morphine, as the normal animals did.-

Underline added by me. Don't know if it was just a typo in the original article, but clonidine is not a pain killer. It is a chronotropic ACE inhibitor used in treatment of heart conditions. It slows heart rate. It is useful in control of the sympoms of pain induced tachycardia, but does not effect the perception of or reaction to pain.

And, I agree Tai Chi Chuan is not the most "butt kicking" martial arts style. However its study should not at all be overlooked because it is awesome for self improvement, and can be used as an adjunct to more aggressive forms. And it is SO relaxing.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Very, very nice knives listed above. I have a couple of knives of my own, most are cheapies (I have no money, between gas and college) but the few nice ones I own where my father's, including a hunting knife, what I suspect is a skining knife and a couple of folders, not quick openers though (which is a shame). Nice thread S+F op.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
this is a good thread i carry a couple knives with me everywhere i go i have become quite good at throwing them

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

reply to post by _Phoenix_

"...but don't intend to use it..."

Maybe its lost in the English to English translation but that makes little sense.

I can't even have a club (Like to hit someone with) in my car in California. So I understand stupid rules. I generally have a glass juice bottle in my cup holder. There is always a way around stupid rules... or just break the law and hope to not get caught.

I do think it is funny... first no guns, then no knives, next they will be banning sharpened sticks. I wish all the Anti weapon Americans could move to the UK and all the pro weapon British could move here. (Trust me the weather here is better you want to come here, and if you like London weather just move to Seattle).

Please actually CHECK your local laws.
You might be suprised.

In California you CAN LEGALLY carry a fixed blade knife openly ( though not concealed) from your belt.
There is NO SIZE LIMIT.

In California, you CAN LEGALLY carry ANY folding ( though not swithcblades, or balisongs) knife of any size CONCEALED. in your pocket or otherwise.

ONLY switchblades have a limit, and if they are the little 1.5" bladed ones, they TOO can be carried LEGALLY, CONCEALED.
This applies only to non felons, and not on school grounds

Knife laws change often. It pays to know them.
Most people assume they know them, but have never actually looked.

to the OP:
I carry a version of the TOPS TB tracker or WSK ( originally designed by Dave Beck), however mine is .25 inches thick, custom made, pattern welded steel ( damascus). 9.5"inches long ( about the size of the TB02.
this is a solid design.
I prefer the thicker blade because the TOPS versions have issues with the tips breaking. ( possibly due to the deep front saw teeth.)

I just ordered a real Khukuri from H.I. after reading some reviews in Blade/Knife mags, and Im anxious the test drive some of their AK models.
Please do your best NOT to buy knives online. look and read, but inspect all blades in person, by hand if possible.
It will save you money and time and may save your life.
Another ATSer posted a comment once about how his scoutmaster assisted a young man in purchasing a quality scout knife.
It was a very cool story and offered some sound advice for new knife buyers.
If I can find the thread, I'll post a link.

( I am not a knife dealer, maker or reseller, and do not endorse ANY company or brand EVER.
Im just an old redneck, with alot of experience things that kill.
Most all production made knives have concessions to make the affordable to mass produce.
I prefer to support LOCAL knife makers, as they create functional art, and are keeping a lost trade alive.)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
edit on 7-8-2011 by BadNinja68 because: double post, new member, I appologize.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68

reply to post by _Phoenix_

"...but don't intend to use it..."

Maybe its lost in the English to English translation but that makes little sense.

I can't even have a club (Like to hit someone with) in my car in California. So I understand stupid rules. I generally have a glass juice bottle in my cup holder. There is always a way around stupid rules... or just break the law and hope to not get caught.

I do think it is funny... first no guns, then no knives, next they will be banning sharpened sticks. I wish all the Anti weapon Americans could move to the UK and all the pro weapon British could move here. (Trust me the weather here is better you want to come here, and if you like London weather just move to Seattle).

Please actually CHECK your local laws.
You might be suprised.

In California you CAN LEGALLY carry a fixed blade knife openly ( though not concealed) from your belt.
There is NO SIZE LIMIT.

In California, you CAN LEGALLY carry ANY folding ( though not swithcblades, or balisongs) knife of any size CONCEALED. in your pocket or otherwise.

ONLY switchblades have a limit, and if they are the little 1.5" bladed ones, they TOO can be carried LEGALLY, CONCEALED.
This applies only to non felons, and not on school grounds

Knife laws change often. It pays to know them.
Most people assume they know them, but have never actually looked.

to the OP:
I carry a version of the TOPS TB tracker or WSK ( originally designed by Dave Beck), however mine is .25 inches thick, custom made, pattern welded steel ( damascus). 9.5"inches long ( about the size of the TB02.
this is a solid design.
I prefer the thicker blade because the TOPS versions have issues with the tips breaking. ( possibly due to the deep front saw teeth.)

I just ordered a real Khukuri from H.I. after reading some reviews in Blade/Knife mags, and Im anxious the test drive some of their AK models.
Please do your best NOT to buy knives online. look and read, but inspect all blades in person, by hand if possible.
It will save you money and time and may save your life.
Another ATSer posted a comment once about how his scoutmaster assisted a young man in purchasing a quality scout knife.
It was a very cool story and offered some sound advice for new knife buyers.
If I can find the thread, I'll post a link.

( I am not a knife dealer, maker or reseller, and do not endorse ANY company or brand EVER.
Im just an old redneck, with alot of experience things that kill.
Most all production made knives have concessions to make the affordable to mass produce.
I prefer to support LOCAL knife makers, as they create functional art, and are keeping a lost trade alive.)

I once had a security guard hassle me for carrying a 3' hand and a half sword (fully functional, hand made locally).I told him to call the cops if he had a problem with it. It does pay to know your laws. In California you really can't carry a club in your car, I checked. But you can a Bowie so it's all good. ha haa

Also I think there are some nice mass produced knives for average daily use and some aren't even super expensive. But you are right, if you want to get that perfect knife go with custom and be really picky on who you let build your knife.

I am interested in where you found someone who will ship a real Khukuri to the US. I've found a couple places that build authentic but couldn't get them to ship one to me.

I do advocate supporting your local cutlery shop and knife makers whenever possible. These are the people who can really help you to find exactly what you want and this is a service that will go away as we get more and more centered on internet purchases. Sad really.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Google Himalayan Imports for the best Khukuris They aint cheap, but they are handmade by the best Kami's in Nepal.
They have some in stock, shipped to you from their shop in Reno.
Google them. they have been around for ages, and written up in every knife mag available.

You can also get solid nepali made Khuks from Khukuri House, they are a bit lower priced, lower quality, but made in Nepal, by real Kamis, from old leaf springs, and shipped from Khatmandu.
IMHO, The HI khuks are worth the extra price. Fit, Finish, and reputation are better at HI.

And...... you already have a California LEGAL drop forged steel club in yer car.
If a cop asks.. just remember it's called a tire iron

<< 1  2  3   >>

join