It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Art Meets Technology - 5 Axis Style

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I remember watching American Chopper (O.C.C) for years and when they first started using this technology it was a huge benefit to their shop in not only speed and cost, but their advancement in design and being able to take their bikes to the next level in art.

Although these machines were originally designed for machining parts for cars, trucks, motorcycles, aerospace and even as a tool to make other tools, many have found the artistic side and have taken it even further.

5 Axis machining has been used in aerospace applications for many years but it is only recently that the toolmaking industry has shown similar interest. The main advantage of 5 Axis machining is the ability to save time by machining complex shapes in a single set-up. Additional benefit comes from allowing the use of shorter cutters that permit more accurate machining.

Also, further advances have taken this technology to 6,7,8 and 9 axis...the 5 axis seems to be the machine of choice because of affordability vs capabilities.

Just thought I'd post a few vids of this incredible art form and I do see it as an art form. Not only in the finished products but the design & building of the machine itself, the computer skills to lay out the drafts and the movements of the machine.

Pure Poetry IMO.

5Axis Machine How big the machine actually is:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6fb964ef0f80.jpg[/atsimg]

Now for the Art:

And even for Dental Bridges:

My vote is still the human hands.

edit on 14-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Once upon a time computer-controlled 5-axis milling machines were a major U.S. technological secret. They were critical to creating the still-secret shapes for the various internal components of nuclear warheads.

The modern designs do not look like the textbooks.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel

Once upon a time computer-controlled 5-axis milling machines were a major U.S. technological secret. They were critical to creating the still-secret shapes for the various internal components of nuclear warheads.

The modern designs do not look like the textbooks.

Thanks!

Do you have any pics or links to the older versions? I know the axis tech started back in the 1800's but I am not aware of your mentioned uses.

As mentioned, the first time I became interested in it was in the manufacture of motorcycle after parts. I remember watching Arlen Ness vids for his Harley pieces and they were fantastic as well.

new topics

join