It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me what you think about how we're handling this flooding

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by jeremiah8401

would you be ok with the price of gas going sky high because a huge portion of the oil refineries in the US are under water? Not to mention there are nuke plants on the mississippi. Yikes. Stupid thing to do, but yep someone did it.

The price of gas is already going sky high whether there was flooding or not. Yeah they also built dozens of nuclear plants along the New Madrid fault line

link   

If you look at a map of the 1927 flood, thats what the mississippi river really wants to do right now. 80 miles wide at some parts.

link   

Yes, it did hit them hard, but that has nothing to do with them opening the Morganza spillway.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I dont understand why New Orleans safety tops every other cities. New Orleans didn't make the river

The thousands of people who live there!!
Actually... Hundreds of thousands... 343,829

You just sound disgruntled...
What did New Orleans do to you?

Have a heart man!

Put yourself in the same situation...

Mobile... this summer... CAT 5 Hurricane...
Total devastation...

How would you feel if you logged on here and someone was saying
(The very things you been saying today)

"Why is Mobile so important? Let the people there leave! Don't rebuild it!... Good riddance! That place didn't matter to the rest of America anyways... Nothing but drunks and whores..."

Show some sympathy...

Your entitled to your opinion... I am outraged by the damage being done in the Morganza Spillway...

But its a Catch 22... Damned if you do... Damned if you don't...

BUT whats easier... Evacuate close to a million...from NO and BR

or several thousand (25,000)... from the spillway

Evacuate several thousand ...flood the spillway... save a million

I'm leaving this thread...
I don't want to argue and act out of line... looks like its leading that way....

Prayers and Positive Vibes to everyone effected

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09

Yes, it did hit them hard, but that has nothing to do with them opening the Morganza spillway.

Yeah but it has to do with the levees they blew up

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric

I dont understand why New Orleans safety tops every other cities. New Orleans didn't make the river

The thousands of people who live there!!
Actually... Hundreds of thousands... 343,829

You just sound disgruntled...
What did New Orleans do to you?

Have a heart man!

Put yourself in the same situation...

Mobile... this summer... CAT 5 Hurricane...
Total devastation...

How would you feel if you logged on here and someone was saying
(The very things you been saying today)

"Why is Mobile so important? Let the people there leave! Don't rebuild it!... Good riddance! That place didn't matter to the rest of America anyways... Nothing but drunks and whores..."

Show some sympathy...

Your entitled to your opinion... I am outraged by the damage being done in the Morganza Spillway...

But its a Catch 22... Damned if you do... Damned if you don't...

BUT whats easier... Evacuate close to a million...from NO and BR

or several thousand (25,000)... from the spillway

Evacuate several thousand ...flood the spillway... save a million

I'm leaving this thread...
I don't want to argue and act out of line... looks like its leading that way....

Prayers and Positive Vibes to everyone effected

See there's nothing anyone can do about a hurricane except flee or dig in and hope. I'm not disgruntled, I'm being logical. I have family that would be affected if it flooded N.O. but I'm not gonna be biased and say save it because I have loved ones over there.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by Darkblade71

There's just not that many places you can go that you're safe. You say don't build by rivers but people build by rivers for a reason. Water.

In today's world, with proper plumbing and irrigation, there is no need to really live on a riverbank.

I think people should just be less permanent in their building and become more mobile. Nature is constantly changing and humans should adapt to nature and not try to make nature adapt to them. I think the natives had it right.

I agree with you here, we need to adapt to changing situations and learn from our mistakes so as not to repeat ourselves. Unfortunately, the world we live in now is not mobile at all, and everything is disposable. If it breaks, it isn't a big deal to replace it, which leads to a much bigger problem because everything is made to break and be replaced these days creating revenue and taxes. Until we change how our society is run and how we view the world, people will continue to build in places they shouldn't in a quick attempt to make a buck or get "what's theirs".

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I think there are many reasons that people live on a river bank. One might be food, one might be shipping, one might be recreation. Its like saying hey we have UPS now, we don't need rivers for shipping. Thousands of people work on these rivers every day as a job. Transporting food and materials up and down. These people require places to live so thats why we have these big port cities. Unless you're totally self sufficient, I'm sure at least some of your stuff gets to you by way of a river and the people that live along it.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Well, you live along a river bank or coast line and you take a risk, I guess that's the point here. I understand what rivers are good for, as I am an avid fisherman, and enjoy river fishing often. Plus I lived in Southeast Alaska for a while where everything was barged or flown in so we were heavily dependent on waterways and shipping. (I am glad I moved because now with Japan's nuclear meltdown, I wouldn't feel safe at all plus eventually there will be an earthquake there too)

My point is the risk that people take who depend on rivers and coasts, I don't think it is worth the risk anymore, cause it seems to be getting riskier and riskier every year.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Eventually maybe people will smarten up and not build on flood, earthquake ,hurricane prone areas. It amazes me that people are dumb enough to build and rebuild in areas where they know it can be disastrous, especially now with the weather/earth going crazy like it is.

The reality is that people really need to smarten up and move away from rivers,coastlines and fault zones. Stop building nuclear power plants in these areas, and if they have farms in these areas, for god's sake, have a farm but put your house on a hill. I understand that farmland depends on the soil, and not so much location, but make a hill for your home.

My wife was looming over my shoulder and thinks I am being to harsh, but I'll tell you the same thing I told her when she said "people just don't know any better" when it comes to location and safety, I bet they do now.

Maybe in the past people didn't have to really worry to much about where they lived, but take a good hard look at all of the natural disasters over the last few years and maybe re-evaluate where you are and if it is safe or not. Chances are, if there is a chance for a flood or earthquake or massive hurricane where you are at now, let me tell you, it is not a CHANCE, it will happen sooner or later.

As to how they are handling the flooding of the Mississippi, they are doing the only thing they can do. Diverting the flood from large populations. I hope it works! The people in these flood planes are taking one for the team, it is sad, but necessary for the greater good of the many.

So, where are people supposed to live? Lets see, don't live where there are earthquakes...tsunamis...hurricanes...floods...tornadoes...volcanoes...drought/fires ... just how many of the 311million people in the United Stated could fit into that VERY small area. Not to mention not to mention the 6.9 billion people in the world.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Point taken, perhaps we need to live smarter. An example of this would be when I was living in Texas. Texas has a serious tornado problem, but yet almost none of the homes have basements. When I asked why, I was told that the ground was to hard, which really is an excuse to save money. It made me very nervous when the warning sirens started blaring out warnings to seek shelter immediately. There really is no where to go.

Where I live in Minnesota, almost every house has a basement.

But yeah, there really isn't any truly "safe" place to live, so maybe smarter is a better way of putting it. As to what people are supposed to do, you got me, cause I don't have a solution, just saying that it is a problem that is getting worse.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join