It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me what you think about how we're handling this flooding

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
reply to post by jeremiah8401

The opening of this spillway is actually good for the swamps and the farmland. The only reason it is such good farmland is because of the river flooding.

Yeah but not in such a massive cale like this. It will DESTROY the farmland and the swamps. They will be in over 25 feet of water. Corn doesn't grow underwater ya know. It will be coming in so fast all the amphibious reptiles are going to have trouble surviving. And when the water FINALLY recedes it will be covered in suit and sand. It will take years for that land to recover

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeremiah8401

Originally posted by WhoDat09
Well being from the terrible town known as New Orleans, or rather just outside of it, I take offense to what you have said. There is no easy answer to the problem of flooding, but I think they are doing the best they can with what they were given.

I don't wish flooding on anyone, and have cousins who are going to be flooded in a few days because the Morganza is open, but the reason they built the Morganza was for this purpose. Without the Morganza that area would be flooded anyway.

I didn't say New Orleans was terrible. My personal opinion doesn't matter when it comes to what the towns like. It has to do with the smart thing to do. What are y'all going to do when the next big hurricane hits you get a big fan and try to push over a few hundred miles. The city is below sea level and it's going to get lost one way or another and all I'm saying is why prolong the process because the next time it floods there for whatever reason y'all just blame the president. In all the times I've been to New Orleans which is allot and too many. All I saw was drinking, drugs, and strip clubs. Yeah real great boost on the economy there. So Instead of preserving that for a little while longer we should have saved the farmlands and the swamps which are much more important than one city that has to be saved all the time.

Jeremiah,

I'm not trying to fight with you...
I will agree building a city that's below sea level...
isnt the most logical thing to do...

But they built it anyways
way back in May 7, 1718 (source)
and people moved there...

But people LIVE there today
That's the real issue here... not the location... or the sea level of the town...
but the people living there...

When the waters reside... when the people are safe

Then you can complain about its location... until then... why not focus on the human factor...

cos people gotta live... and not everyone can just up and leave when they want...

Take Japan for example... its a dangerous place... radiation, giant death bring tidal waves... Nuclear Radiation...

But sadly millions there cannot leave... it is their home... it is all they have... sometimes you have to just "play with the hand your dealt"

People always say, "they shouldn't have lived there!"

Well you gotta take in the fact... its their home, their family lives there... that is where their job is...

I don't live anywhere near this flood...

but I had to leave my home and relocate far away...... even if I had a years time... then I guess i would be screwed...

So please just focus on the people!!

(and yeah New Orleans kinda does have a BIG financial impact on this nation... its only a VERY BUSY internationl port)
edit on 5/14/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

its actually going really slow. They are opening one bay at a time. did you see the video of the opening? it wasn't like a tidal wave going across the land. I'm all for it really. I'm for no levees and letting the river deposit new land all over the dam place but thats not gonna happen. lol

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Baton Rouge and New Orleans are ports. Lots of stuff goes in and out of there. Not sure how many oil refineries depend on the area between NOLA and Baton Rouge, but its a #load.

Don't get me wrong. Where I'm from there are 3 oil refineries and I hate it. I'm on natures side and eventually nature will reclaim that area. After my house was under water for a week I got the hell out of there.

But I do see the reasoning. That area would be flooded anyways if that spillway wasn't there. Same with the other spillway.

Well where I live on the gulf coast we have Mobile as a major port. Not that hard to shift your course over 150 miles. Use Mobile as your primary port down here instead of those places. It would just boost Mobile's economy and Mobile is only in danger of hurricanes but it never floods. the most the Mobile Bay came up was 100 feet into land and receded in a day. Smarter, ehh?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I hear ya, and I try to avoid going into New Orleans at all costs, and really it's not hard to do as I never have the urge to drink and go to strip clubs! I live in Metairie, and I realize that New Orleans is below sea level, and one day it's probably going to be gone. The flooding from Katrina was a man made disaster, it flooded out here because they turned off the pumps, and in NO because of the levee breaches. The opening of the Moragnza isn't just to save NO, it's to save Baton Rouge too.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I think your missing the point. The mississippi is a major river that connects to lots of other major rivers. Thats one thing that mobile is missing. You got a nice tunnel and battleship though. lol

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The flood is been handle like everything in this nation, first they allow people to build in flooded zones after they dry the land for sell then when "once in a few years flood happen" they let the people lose everything they have for the benefits of the few at the expenses of tax payers.

People should never be allowed to build in previous flooding areas to begin with but hey everything for profits.
edit on 14-5-2011 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoDat09

Even so but 2 cities shouldn't get saved any more than all the land they intentionally flooded. It's just spreading the flooding even more than it would if we let it go its course. Now it's branching off in every direction destroying hundreds of towns and thousands of homes. Just to save two cities? It's ridiculous

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Yeah but not in such a massive cale like this. It will DESTROY the farmland and the swamps. They will be in over 25 feet of water. Corn doesn't grow underwater ya know. And when the water FINALLY recedes it will be covered in suit and sand. It will take years for that land to recover

when you said that... I agree... The soil will be ruined for years
Very bad for Farmland... not good for that area at all

Well where I live on the gulf coast we have Mobile as a major port. Not that hard to shift your course over 150 miles. Use Mobile as your primary port down here instead of those places. It would just boost Mobile's economy and Mobile is only in danger of hurricanes but it never floods. the most the Mobile Bay came up was 100 feet into land and receded in a day. Smarter, ehh?

But when you said that... I realized you do not understand how certain things work...

That your just rambling there...

The Mississippi does not empty into Mobile...

Do you not realize what the Mississippi river connects to?

Why it is so important?

Google!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Eventually maybe people will smarten up and not build on flood, earthquake ,hurricane prone areas. It amazes me that people are dumb enough to build and rebuild in areas where they know it can be disastrous, especially now with the weather/earth going crazy like it is.

The reality is that people really need to smarten up and move away from rivers,coastlines and fault zones. Stop building nuclear power plants in these areas, and if they have farms in these areas, for god's sake, have a farm but put your house on a hill. I understand that farmland depends on the soil, and not so much location, but make a hill for your home.

My wife was looming over my shoulder and thinks I am being to harsh, but I'll tell you the same thing I told her when she said "people just don't know any better" when it comes to location and safety, I bet they do now.

Maybe in the past people didn't have to really worry to much about where they lived, but take a good hard look at all of the natural disasters over the last few years and maybe re-evaluate where you are and if it is safe or not. Chances are, if there is a chance for a flood or earthquake or massive hurricane where you are at now, let me tell you, it is not a CHANCE, it will happen sooner or later.

As to how they are handling the flooding of the Mississippi, they are doing the only thing they can do. Diverting the flood from large populations. I hope it works! The people in these flood planes are taking one for the team, it is sad, but necessary for the greater good of the many.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Thats funny, i'm from St. Bernard and make it a point never to go to Metairie. Just joking. Well not really. The traffic stresses me out.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

There's just not that many places you can go that you're safe. You say don't build by rivers but people build by rivers for a reason. Water.

I think people should just be less permanent in their building and become more mobile. Nature is constantly changing and humans should adapt to nature and not try to make nature adapt to them. I think the natives had it right.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric

Yeah but not in such a massive cale like this. It will DESTROY the farmland and the swamps. They will be in over 25 feet of water. Corn doesn't grow underwater ya know. And when the water FINALLY recedes it will be covered in suit and sand. It will take years for that land to recover

when you said that... I agree... The soil will be ruined for years
Very bad for Farmland... not good for that area at all

But when you said that... I realized you do not understand how certain things work...

That your just rambling there...

The Mississippi does not empty into Mobile...

Do you not realize what the Mississippi river connects to?

Why it is so important?

Google!

I know where the mississippi ends and I know how the mobile, bay works. It could be a temporary port until the flooding stops. You dont always have to rely on ships. We have many other ways to transport goods. Mobile is still a large port and just because it's flooding, doesn't mean it's going to disappear. You don't have to have N.O. to have the Mississippi. Let nature run its course and when the water recedes and the River's safe again you can use it for the ridiculous barges we use that make the river disgusting. That's why we don't swim in our bay because of all the barges. I understand Why it's important my friend, but I dont understand why New Orleans safety tops every other cities. New Orleans didn't make the river

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Darkblade71

There's just not that many places you can go that you're safe. You say don't build by rivers but people build by rivers for a reason. Water.

I think people should just be less permanent in their building and become more mobile. Nature is constantly changing and humans should adapt to nature and not try to make nature adapt to them. I think the natives had it right.

That's not where I was going with this but you are absolutely right.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Do you realize how many people live in Baton Rouge and in NO? There are hundreds of thousands of people in these two towns! Compare that to the number that will be affected now 22,500. I think they are doing the only thing they can do. Can you imagine FEMA trying to help out hundreds of thousands of people, on top of the people they are helping from the tornados in Alabama?

It is ridiculous to even think they should flood these two towns, whether you like it or not Baton Rouge and New Orleans are important for the country.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

LOL the traffic is horrible!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
What did they expect? You build in a floodplain you will get flooded sooner or later... Just like the Katrina mess... You build under sea level close to the sea in a hurricane zone things are not going to end well sooner or later...

Seems like people just go stupid over the years building in places things should not be built at.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09

Do you realize how many people live in Baton Rouge and in NO? There are hundreds of thousands of people in these two towns! Compare that to the number that will be affected now 22,500. I think they are doing the only thing they can do. Can you imagine FEMA trying to help out hundreds of thousands of people, on top of the people they are helping from the tornados in Alabama?

It is ridiculous to even think they should flood these two towns, whether you like it or not Baton Rouge and New Orleans are important for the country.

yeah 2 cities are important compared to all these people. read this

www.wsws.org...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

would you be ok with the price of gas going sky high because a huge portion of the oil refineries in the US are under water? Not to mention there are nuke plants on the mississippi. Yikes. Stupid thing to do, but yep someone did it.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Memphis is a huge city and the flooding hit them pretty hard. hundreds of thousands of acres of prime farmland destroyed too for 2 cities

<< 1    3 >>

join