It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me what you think about how we're handling this flooding

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Okay so the past week to two weeks I've been hearing about the Mississippi flooding badly. It's a huge disaster that's doing more damage to our food supply. The army corp. of engineers blew the levees to flood the farm land to keep it from hitting subdivisions and neighborhoods. Well a house can be replaced but farming goes by seasons and not only that the land is ruined and when the waters recede it'll be covered in sand. They were in mid-harvest and so they destroyed out food and livestock. Stuff we eat.

Army corp of Engineers blowing the first levee in Bird Point
www.youtube.com...

They've been doing this everywhere in the water's path and sacrificing our farmland and people's lively hoods

They just diverted the water into 3,000 square miles into small farmland and fishing camps. It's going to be under close to 25 feet of water.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Ever watch Swamp People? Well they're all being evacuated because they plan on diverting the water to the swamps. Pretty messed up, eh? Well the whole reason to diverting the water to swamps is to protect New Orleans. Screw New Orleans. Nature has been trying to destroy that awful place for the last 10 years at least. They shouldn't have invested so much money into a nasty town that's below sea level. Where's the logic in that? Tell me what you think please.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jeremiah8401

When people moved to the floodplain area of Louisiana, they knew that they could be flooded at any time before they bought their house.

link   
I'd equate it to the whole runaway train scenario. Suppose there's a runaway train heading for a group of people, and you're at the controls and can make the train switch tracks. however, there's one person on the other track. do you let fate decide killing the group, or do you take action and cause the death of the one person. This scenario would probably never happen in real life, but this flood is about as close as you can get to it in the real world.

link   
the farmland flooded by the birds point levee was mostly GMO soybeans...so in that respect, i say good. It's not good (obviously ) for the farmers

I disagree with permanent settlements in a flood plain. And natural flooding can be good for farmland, but when you blow a levee etc, the speed and ferocity of the water will destroy it, instead of fertilizing / depositing silt.

We can only wait and see what the total damage will be

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Exactly so why destroy the areas that provide food over the areas we live. I live in Bama and I have family in Louisiana and if their house gets flooded I won't feel bad for them. There's no logic behind anything they're doing.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Just be glad you're not in the position to have to make that decision. I doubt they did it lightly.

link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I couldn't find the video again but in Tennessee farmers had corn crops and many others. They had plenty of livestock which is things we eat. And soy is used in a LOT of things we consume

link   

What flooding?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Just be glad you're not in the position to have to make that decision. I doubt they did it lightly.

If I was in that decision I'd evacuate New Orleans because chances are it's going to flood from a hurricane sometime soon. With all the crazy natural disasters lately who knows on how hurricane season is going to be. They should have just the water go its course. The swamps are a huge food supply and so are the farms. So now we're going to have prices going up even more than it already has. New Orleans is a city waiting to die so why sacrifice anything for it

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I don't think the government, or military should have the right to decide which area gets flooded. Let nature take its course for the most part. We should flood out a small town and its farms to save a specific area that may or may not get effected? We don't have the money to purposely flood peoples lives, when the people who were are trying to avoid being flooded, have plenty of time to secure their houses.. and may possibly have been able to get flood insurance. Who is going to pay for it?
edit on 14-5-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm from just south of NOLA but live in the mountains now. New Orleans and Baton Rouge are very highly populated and also very vital to the economy of the country. Weather you like them or not, if those levees broke, Katrina would look like a little rainshower and there would be a huge wave of refugees once again. Maybe even coming to your town in Bama and we see how quickly host cities can get tired of their new residents.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcrobotwolf

What flooding?

Yeah it's not on the news as much as it should be. They freak out over the false death of OBL but when the Mississippi is unbound and on a wild ride all down the country not many people seem to pay attention.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

unfortunately, soy is in alot of what many people eat, but the truth is that it really isn't good for you at all, especially the gmo stuff.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
I'm from just south of NOLA but live in the mountains now. New Orleans and Baton Rouge are very highly populated and also very vital to the economy of the country. Weather you like them or not, if those levees broke, Katrina would look like a little rainshower and there would be a huge wave of refugees once again. Maybe even coming to your town in Bama and we see how quickly host cities can get tired of their new residents.

Actually it would help stimulate the economy in whatever city they choose to go to. When we had Katrina refugees here our economy boosted and things were fine. We had fam stay with us for like 3 months there were new people everywhere. Bama is a very hospitable area. Just because they aren't spending money in Orleans doesn't mean they won't here. It's the people that stimulate the economy not the city

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well being from the terrible town known as New Orleans, or rather just outside of it, I take offense to what you have said. There is no easy answer to the problem of flooding, but I think they are doing the best they can with what they were given.

I don't wish flooding on anyone, and have cousins who are going to be flooded in a few days because the Morganza is open, but the reason they built the Morganza was for this purpose. Without the Morganza that area would be flooded anyway.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Baton Rouge and New Orleans are ports. Lots of stuff goes in and out of there. Not sure how many oil refineries depend on the area between NOLA and Baton Rouge, but its a #load.

Don't get me wrong. Where I'm from there are 3 oil refineries and I hate it. I'm on natures side and eventually nature will reclaim that area. After my house was under water for a week I got the hell out of there.

But I do see the reasoning. That area would be flooded anyways if that spillway wasn't there. Same with the other spillway.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

My opinion... which has been stressed in the thread below...

Its a disaster unlike anything seen since 1937...

It has destroyed the livelihood of thousands of Americans

It has took people's lives...

It will effect everyone... Prices will go up...

Around 500 million tons of cargo is transported on the Mississippi River each year...

1/2 of America's exported grain comes from this region...

An area bigger than Italy is effected by this disaster...

over 155,000, Square miles of Land is being flooded!

In Louisiana alone... an area the size of the state of Connecticut is/will be under water due
to opening the Morganza Spillway

MSM and the Government has let many people down...

The night that the OBL news broke...

I started a thread... its still going... and it is the number 1 source for updates and views on this Flood

Don't Be Distracted : The Real Problem = Historic Mississippi Flood/Intentional Levee Breach

jeremiah8401,

I'm flagging this... cos you did an awesome job starting this thread... it raises awareness about this issue that has been... "Brushed under the rug"
edit on 5/14/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09
Well being from the terrible town known as New Orleans, or rather just outside of it, I take offense to what you have said. There is no easy answer to the problem of flooding, but I think they are doing the best they can with what they were given.

I don't wish flooding on anyone, and have cousins who are going to be flooded in a few days because the Morganza is open, but the reason they built the Morganza was for this purpose. Without the Morganza that area would be flooded anyway.

I didn't say New Orleans was terrible. My personal opinion doesn't matter when it comes to what the towns like. It has to do with the smart thing to do. What are y'all going to do when the next big hurricane hits you get a big fan and try to push over a few hundred miles. The city is below sea level and it's going to get lost one way or another and all I'm saying is why prolong the process because the next time it floods there for whatever reason y'all just blame the president. In all the times I've been to New Orleans which is allot and too many. All I saw was drinking, drugs, and strip clubs. Yeah real great boost on the economy there. So Instead of preserving that for a little while longer we should have saved the farmlands and the swamps which are much more important than one city that has to be saved all the time.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Thank you! you're the only one NOT giving me a bad rap for this. People so far think I hate New Orleans and it's nothing like that. It's about what effect they're having on everything else to save one city.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The opening of this spillway is actually good for the swamps and the farmland. The only reason it is such good farmland is because of the river flooding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join