It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two American Companies about to go down past Challenger deep. Crypto heaven. Carcharocles megalodon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
We all know about the treist, but now two American Companies ( one that RIchard Branson is funding) have built craft they believe can go to the deepest depths of the Ocean.

When the triest went Challenger deep and during their studies they found Carcharocles teeth. ( I collect them, I am fascinated)

When and if these men make it to these depths do you think they might find a Carcharocles megalodon population?

How about Colossal Squid? How big do you think they actually get? Kraken sized? Does Kraken exist? Giant Squid, their smaller bretheren are giants too.

What a wonderful treat, imagine all the "monsters" in the deep. Magnificent Leviathons. I think it will be astounding. I would give anything to be involved in the project and gladly sacrifice myself on such a mission fraught with danger and unknowns.

Do you any theories about what are now considered Crypto may become all too real?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Challenger Deep is, as the name suggest, bloody deep. But believe it or not, we can't officially call it the deepest point on Earth. We know that little about our oceans that we haven't mapped the seafloor in its entirety yet, meaning there could easily be deeper points elsewhere.

As for megalodon (when did the first bit of the Latin name get changed, anyhow? I remember it as Charcarodon Megalodon.), I don't doubt that there might be a relict population somewhere on earth. However, I don't think they're in Challenger Deep. Something of that size would need a good bit of food to survive, and there's not much that lives that deep down.

The colossal squid? I think there are a lot weirder cephalopods out there than the colossal. Take the Magnapinna squid for example. Or even that classic, the giant squid, Architeuthis dux, first seen alive in 2004. Oh, and Challenger is a bit too far north for the Colossal, they live around the Antarctic.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SigmundFRAUD
We all know about the treist, but now two American Companies ( one that RIchard Branson is funding) have built craft they believe can go to the deepest depths of the Ocean.

When the triest went Challenger deep and during their studies they found Carcharocles teeth. ( I collect them, I am fascinated)

No, they found charcharodon teeth. This is easy to explain; sharks lose thousands of teeth during their lifetimes (which could possibly be over a hundred years for some species) . These teeth, being denser than water, sink. They last practically forever, as well.

When and if these men make it to these depths do you think they might find a Carcharocles megalodon population?

Absolutely not. it was a member of the lamnidae shark family, along with great whites and mako sharks - both open-water surface hunters. C. megalodon apparently existed primarily on whales. There are no whales in the abyssal zone. There are also no lamnidae sharks in the abyssal zone, not even tiny ones to hunt the tiny prey down there. Finding a lamnidae shark in this region of the water column would be like finding a rabbit living happily in the stratopshere. Finding C. megalodon in the abyss - much less the Hadal zone - would be like finding a giant talking two-headed rabbit that farts marshmallows in the stratosphere.

If C. megalodon still existed, it'd be easy to find - just follow the humpback migrations along the humboldt current or something. It'd be like following wildebest to find lions.

How about Colossal Squid? How big do you think they actually get? Kraken sized? Does Kraken exist? Giant Squid, their smaller bretheren are giants too.

Colossal squid dwell higher in the water column; in the Bathyl zone. They might bump into one on the way down, which would be super-awesome.

What a wonderful treat, imagine all the "monsters" in the deep. Magnificent Leviathons. I think it will be astounding. I would give anything to be involved in the project and gladly sacrifice myself on such a mission fraught with danger and unknowns.

Frankly it's the little critters that are vastly more interesting down there.

Do you any theories about what are now considered Crypto may become all too real?

My theory on cryptids is that 95% of them are the results of alcohol and bored people. 3% of them are known animals that bored drunk people can't recognize, and 2% are actually something worth noting. Only 0.04% of that 2% are larger than your hand.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SigmundFRAUD

Most marine biologists believe that Megalodon lived in shallower waters, actually. Teeth found that deep are most likely teeth that drifted down from above and such. As for large creatures that deep, logic would lead one to think it highly unlikely. The very deep oceans are extremely inhospitable to life for several reasons:

1. The pressures that deep are truly immense.
2. No light reaches those depths, which means there are no plants, so there is no photosynthesis going on down there.
3. Because there is no photosynthesis going on in the deeps, there is dramatically less oxygen in the water than there is in the shallower waters. (Fish filter oxygen out of the water to breath, of course)
4. Because of the lack of plants, the food chain at these depths is very limited as well. It consists mostly of scavengers that eat the detritus that falls from above and predators that eat those scavengers. Not really a food chain that can support a large number of huge creatures.

So.. it's unlikely that they will find megalodons, collossal squid, or any other huge monsters down there.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
My concern is that most of the deep sea creatures are already being found floating at the surface, I just hope their sonar and radar whatevers dont also do more harm than good...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I would think the deaper you go with the pressure that builds the creatures would have to be much smaller than we think. I think the smaller surface area of the creatures the less they would feel the pressure. Unless they are all like squids with no frame.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
There are organisms that live in pure acid right here on terra firma. When the trieste when down they managed to see a flounder type fish just before they touched down and the water went milky white due to the silt.

I collect the teeth of Megaladon, and I'm well aware of how sharks have rows of teeth like a conveyor belt that move forward when the others fall out. I find it fascinating.

I agree the small critters are interesting too. The bioluminescent creatures, vampire squids I like, the various varieties of Angler fish, I find benthopelagic oeganisms amazing and interesting. Think about it,the DEEP sea represents 80% of the biosphere, which makes it the largest habitat for creatures on the planet Earth

The giant grenadier fish lives at these depths, among others. I'd be willing to bet there are so many animals in the sea we never knew about that it will be life changing. We don't have to find a shark the size of a semi truck, but it would be kinda cool.

Just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss, this being a board for discussing the possibilities and all.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
the results could be breathtaking

sea life has always been fascinating

it is teeming with so much life

of different sizes and shapes and species

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I've been fascinated because we simply do not know. We can compare to what we do know, but often we are suprised.

I for one became interested when my parents were nearly taken by a sea creature back in the 70's.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SigmundFRAUD

ROFL!

Gotta love those cheesy B movies.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
LOL, I wish I could have posted it so people could see it without the link.

Good picture! lol, I love those movies too, creature from the black lagoon is my all time fave!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Great thread. I can remember reading 'Meg' and the sequels in the 8th grade. Piqued my interest and it has never went away.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
They're probably more likely to find an underwater population of aliens than megladon and the results of the expedition will be something along the lines of "erm, the craft broke and we had to resurface before we could find anything".

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The will find a desert. Granted it will be an underwater desert, but it will be devoid of anything but the smallest of interests.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I am a firm believer that life can and does flourish at those immense depths. My main interest is bio-luminescence, creatures that produce their own light. I'm sure there are many unknown species that could potentially be discovered, depending on what exactly the team does upon arriving on the sea-floor.

There are still many new species waiting to be discovered in known places, such as the waters off the coast of the Galapagos Islands, so I expect there are many, many more at greater depths since humans have not been able to explore there.

Something that interests me is the potential for newly discovered animals to help cure diseases. New species are being discovered in the rain forests, which although somewhat inaccessible, still are on land. So how many could there be in the oceans? The waters' of the World are the final frontier.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Going underwater scares the bejeezes out of me. Going THIS far underwater scares the bejeezes bejeezes out of me.

Imagine if they found the source of The Bloop and it wasn't a gas bubble? hooo hooo oooooooo!!! I thought you said you collected Charcoal Teeth OP I was like wtf are they? Why would he collect charcoal shaped like teeth lol... oh god and then I googled.... no bath for me tonight.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There is something down there very large and unknown to man.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join