It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher 'Refused To Hang Child's Drawing Of U.S. Flag Because It Would Offend Jehovah's Witness S

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Its the same logic that allowed Newt Gingrich to recently decry the secular atheist muslims who are taking over America

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Its the same logic that allowed Newt Gingrich to recently decry the secular atheist muslims who are taking over America

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Hahahaha. Good ole eye-o-newt.

In particular I found quite comical:

People For the American Way's Right Wing Watch, Mother Jones and Media Matters have already posted compilations of Newtonian 'wisdom' from a long and dishonorable career. Once you start to consider characteristics like honesty and integrity, it becomes clear that Gingrich is unfit to lead our country.

Yea, he's our guy alright

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
As a former Jehovah's Witness I cry FOUL on this one. JW's consider the flag waving by the masses as the torture stake (cross) that they will joyfully bear and do so willingly and actually the flag gives a unifying purpose to their faith as they believe flags are idols and "the world" worships idols and pledges allegience to them yet because it is not theirs it is not something that is at all offensive to them themselves because they will not bow down to any flag! This teacher is using a students belief as a false flag for his or her own personal prejudices! If you are not honest I believe people can see right through the deceit if they look hard enough!

The attitude of non-flag saluting is far from being offended by the flag itself. The belief stems from one of the 10 commandments where it says do not bow down to idols... which is correct! Yet they themselves selectively do not keep the 4th command of Keeping the Sabbath day... Go Figure... soooooo on target with the attitude of not worshiping man or bowing down to his idols yet not keeping the other law...

So Is any Flag an idol? Well if you pledge yourself to something it could become an idol if that which you pledge yourself to becomes greater than our Most High Father. America is still a free country and we should respect the right of those who want to salute or pledge to a flag, even if it is ironically holding some in bondage to it by forcing them to kill/murder others for causes they deeply know are not true and righteous... This is a very emotional topic because so many Great Americans have died to defend this land and its people and to most the flag represents this land and people and no more than that.

YaH Bless AmericAH!!!!!!! YaH Bless the Men and Women who defend our freedom here to have the beliefs that we carry so dearly! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The teacher, a lefty, forbade the flag in accordance with her diversity ideology. When caught she shifted blame onto the Witnesses. It is as simple as that. She's lying.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

Please quote in the article where anything even remotely close to what you've just said is in there.

Most specifically please note the section where it says "forbade the flag in accordance with her diversity ideology"

Thank you.
edit on 14-5-2011 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Should we be thankful that the student did not draw a swaztika? Perhaps that would have been less offensive to the sensitivity of everyone!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
JW's are bat # crazy! Every date they have "prophesied" about has FAILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone
reply to post by sara123123

Please quote in the article where anything even remotely close to what you've just said is in there.

Most specifically please note the section where it says "forbade the flag in accordance with her diversity ideology"

]

You have to read BETWEEN the lines, and then just fill in the blanks with assumptions that fit your own i-hate-teachers-at-all-costs agenda.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Hi burn...
No, don't see anything offensive about this. Every Friday morning my children at their school say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and stand up and place their right hand over their heart and pledge....yep, it's a rural school in MN but honestly, I think it's kind of cool and most likely unique.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Really? Care to explain? I'm pretty sure that the 200+ JW's I talked to last month probably had their head screwed on tighter than anyone I've talked to on here, including you.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The education system is crap in the US, hell even here in Canada.

It all starts with th teachers I tell you. That and parents.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Yes, those terrible, monstrous teachers. Let's fire them all and let the superintendents and schoolboards and textbook approval committees teach all these kids. After all, these people - who make every decision in every school district - are entirely blameless in all of this. All they do is approve or forbid textbooks, allocate funding, write teaching programs, decide curriculum, set the standards and penalties for both teachers and students, all without a single drop of input from the public. I'm sure these scrupulous angels will be the perfect people, once we throw all those nasty goddamned teachers out on their asses.

I mean they use your tax dollars to add to their mercedes collections, they've gotta know what they're doing!

As for parents, I advise three rules.
1) Be involved in your local schools. I don't mean getting in your kid's face and offering to help put glitter on his project, no. Attend meetings and hearings. if there's a textbook hearing, go. if there's a PTA, join it and attend meetings. Be involved.
2) Your kid is not the next Steven Hawking. Sorry parents, some kids are just dumb. Oh, they can learn, but they have limits. Other kids are just lazy. This is not the teacher's fault. Your kid's teacher is not a private tutor, and though he or she will often try their best, it's unrealistic for them to devote their entire day to your insipid little loin-loaf.
3) Don't vote against school funding and then bitch because your kid is in there with 40 other kids and out of date text books with no lunch program. it's YOUR FAULT. No, "throwing money" doesn't help, but neither does starving the district's treasury and expecting improvement. If you think removing funding from schools will improve school performance, then the reason why your kid is dumb is clear - it's genetic.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I digress though. As for this teacher, she should be fired. I'm tired of people not doing things just because it might offend a group of people. This whole PC stuff is really geting old.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

'Cause a story in the daily mail is an excellent reason to fire someone.
edit on 14/5/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/5/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Hi burn...
No, don't see anything offensive about this. Every Friday morning my children at their school say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and stand up and place their right hand over their heart and pledge....yep, it's a rural school in MN but honestly, I think it's kind of cool and most likely unique.

Not me. Of course in the 50s we had to do this.

Its pure propaganda - - - that children should not be subjected to.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Hi burn...

I sincerely doubt my kids are being damaged by this so-called propaganda. We do live in the best country in this world, their quality of living and education, medical care, nutritional care is above and beyond; in my opinion. But that's just me, I don't live south of the Dixon line and all....

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
About two weeks ago a JW came to my door, she was a young lady with a young toddler, who was stinkin' cute by the way. I live in a rural area on twenty acres and have two dogs that patrol the property and this woman drives up my long driveway, gets out of her car with her young little girl and walks to my door. I am a stranger to her! Why she would subject her young child to this is what bothered me. I had to call my dogs off and let me tell ya, I thought it was irresponsible of her to let her little girl walk beside her to my door with my big dogs. I guess her belief gave her faith that all would be well, which it was. I don't understand why a church would subject their young ladies and children to this.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Hi burn...

The irony of your opinion on this subject matter is that many men, women and children have given their lives in the last 235 years for you to have the right to say this.

This right doesn't exist in many nations so you should be grateful you live in the United States.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I sincerely doubt my kids are being damaged by this so-called propaganda. We do live in the best country in this world, their quality of living and education, medical care, nutritional care is above and beyond; in my opinion. But that's just me, I don't live south of the Dixon line and all....

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Education - We rank 14th in literacy, 17th in sciences, and a dismal 25th in Math - out of the 70 nations ranked by OECD's PISA report.
In terms of health care, we rank 37th according to WHO - behind Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic - but hey, we're better than Slovenia and Cuba, at 38 and 39, respectively.
In terms of nutrition, we are probably cursed with overabundance - childhood obesity and diabetes are skyrocketing in the US. There are several communities where chronic malnourishment remains a problem. We're certainly not Bangladesh - but we're not up to the standards of Germany, either (finding exact figures is hard; the GHI doesn't measure malnourishment rates in "developed countries)
In terms of Quality of Life, we rank 13th; "average-ish" for a developed nation (Ireland and Norway are "above average.")

Maybe fifty years ago, we could thump our chests and crow that we're #1. But then, fifty years ago, the rest of the developed world had been shattered by a global conflict that left only the US economy standing, with the USSR's slowly recovering; everyone else was still in the dirt, and were fighting their own brushfire wars in former colonies; we were #1 because we had no competition.

If you're telling your kids we're #1 in the world, then yes, your propaganda is hurting them, in the same way that telling them that 2+2=15 would. it's a non-fact. Worse, it'll make them apathetic slobs who believe their nation needs no improvement.
edit on 15/5/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
The irony of your opinion on this subject matter is that many men, women and children have given their lives in the last 235 years for you to have the right to say this.

This right doesn't exist in many nations so you should be grateful you live in the United States.

No one has ever died for my right to speak freely - except perhaps, at the hands of a mob of rednecks with a rope.

Soldiers do not die to protect the rights of citizens; they die to protect the wealth of their commanders. This is the case in every nation on earth, but is especially true in the United States, where we have not faced an existential conflict since 1783. Stressing this point is the fact that when these soldiers go to war, our "rights" to speak freely are often hideously curtailed, whether by law (such as the Espionage Act) or by media culture.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

No one has ever died for my right to speak freely - except perhaps, at the hands of a mob of rednecks with a rope.

Soldiers do not die to protect the rights of citizens; they die to protect the wealth of their commanders. This is the case in every nation on earth, but is especially true in the United States, where we have not faced an existential conflict since 1783. Stressing this point is the fact that when these soldiers go to war, our "rights" to speak freely are often hideously curtailed, whether by law (such as the Espionage Act) or by media culture.

I'll warn you right now, you're speaking in theories which will, for the most part, go unheard at large.

You speak of no one dying for your right to free speech, but it will be interpreted as "the soldiers dont protect you or the country so you're a piece of trash".

Why? Because without intervention, it will be heard the way it wants to be heard.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcanem
Unbelievable, the amount of ignorance and lack of common sense that teachers show now a days is positively mind boggling.

I don't know why you are surprised. While I was taking a Physics class to satisfy my liberal-arts (ie "light-weight") degree, the education majors were making bulletin boards with cartoon animals for class.

Seriously.

We send very poorly educated people out to enlighten our children... and then wonder why our kids are so dumb.

On a related topic, though: I don't know much about JW, admittedly, but why would an American flag be offensive anyway? Why is there a war against the flag going on in America?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick

Originally posted by rcanem
Unbelievable, the amount of ignorance and lack of common sense that teachers show now a days is positively mind boggling.

I don't know why you are surprised. While I was taking a Physics class to satisfy my liberal-arts (ie "light-weight") degree, the education majors were making bulletin boards with cartoon animals for class.

Seriously.

Not that you would have any personal bias or agenda that could be bolstered by making this anecdote up, of course.

We send very poorly educated people out to enlighten our children... and then wonder why our kids are so dumb.

See my post above; it's probably genetics.

On a related topic, though: I don't know much about JW, admittedly, but why would an American flag be offensive anyway?

Another post above; Jehova's Witness are crazy people.

More seriously, I think the Jehova's Witness oppose any form of nation or government save that declared by god.

Why is there a war against the flag going on in America?

Because people like you encourage little bastards like this kid to mangle our flag. I mean look at that thing. it doesn't even look like the Liberian flag, much less ol' Glory! Someone needs to take that veal cutlet's crayons away before he disparages the holy drapery any further, don't you agree?
edit on 15/5/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join