It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, Really ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CharterZZ

"False God" as in MONEY and other things. I could have sworn I explained what that meant for those of you quick to pass judgement. I do not consider myself anything but a seeker of truth....I also think I explained that and....well...READ IT AGAIN, would ya?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

As long as the truth is told I'm happy. Get rid of your cute little idol god.

Religions pseudo morals work real well for the governments to control the weak.
Its selective judgement and good guy badges don't mean a f*** to me.
Well...you happy?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Is "faith" not the BELIEF in SOMETHING NOT SEEN? One can say I believe blankity blank.... but if its not seen then that belief can be viewed as faith. I am not going to argue with anyone about belief, faith, and so on....I was stating my own opinion that Atheists believe in something. It can also be stated that with that belief it may indeed be a "false God" to some.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mbartelsm

Religion is not evil, in fact most religions talk about good

Just because a concept demands charity, altruism and love doesn't make it a good concept as a whole. The altruistic passages of religious doctrine certainly do not counter the evil and disgusting verses.

Name one moral act that a religious person could do that a Atheist or non-believer could not.

Religious causes morally normal people to do and say terrible things if they think it is divinely warranted, or perhaps if they think they will recieve a afterlife reward (Jihad, Martydom)

It can even form character prejudice; prejudice against homosexuals, prejudice against other religions and prejudice against us Hell-bound Atheists.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Religion is not evil, in fact most religions talk about good

Just because a concept demands charity, altruism and love doesn't make it a good concept as a whole. The altruistic passages of religious doctrine certainly do not counter the evil and disgusting verses.

Name one moral act that a religious person could do that a Atheist or non-believer could not.

Not my point, I was just stating that the evil comes from the people themselves, not what they believe in.

Religious causes morally normal people to do and say terrible things if they think it is divinely warranted, or perhaps if they think they will recieve a afterlife reward (Jihad, Martydom)

It can even form character prejudice; prejudice against homosexuals, prejudice against other religions and prejudice against us Hell-bound Atheists.

This is what I'm talking about people are the sole responsible for all the blood that has been spilled in the name of religion and god.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Honestly, the label I have for myself is a "Seeker of Truth". I believe ALL religions have a little something to bring to the table but none are 100% correct!

May I also note I have been a fan of Edgar Cayce and others who long before their time have seen what is to come and I believe that while they are not completely accurate on all accounts of prophecy, they have more credibility than any other man/woman that I have studied. I am a fan of Edgars because he was a very giving man of his time and health. He was shown things as others in our History that pretty much say the same. There is a God, and so on. For me....God is THE Energy Force that holds everything together. I could even make a good argument that we are a mere cell of God. My studies will continue and as I do continue my journey in Seeking Truth I am sure my opinions will change. Its all a mystery and it is up to the individual to find their own way.

The Universe is so magical, mystical, and complex. I am fascinated with the wonders of this world and others. When I look to the sky I see a massive force of energy....I am taken back! Its so beautiful.

I believe just like others in things I cannot see. We are limited with our senses. Just because I cannot see love does not mean I do not experience it on a daily basis. If it weren't for sitting on my porch all alone as a 5 yr old wondering and questioning I would not be where I am today.....still seeking. As a little girl there was no denying I missed where I came from and I wondered and questioned the sky why I was here, why I could not communicate with my mom by thinking and not talking and so on...

Believing in something un seen is having faith in something. Thats my final answer!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Not my point, I was just stating that the evil comes from the people themselves, not what they believe in.

The compulsory mutilation of children's genetalia - You really think that's just because people are bad? Or because they genuinely think it is "GOD"'s will?

Suicide bombers?

Quran (2:244) - "Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things."

Quran (4:74) - "Let those fight in the way of Allah who sell the life of this world for the other. Whoso fighteth in the way of Allah, be he slain or be he victorious, on him We shall bestow a vast reward."

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks.

Do you really think these verses don't have an affect on people's actions and beliefs?

Just evil people? I don't think so, it's much more deep routed than that.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

You should re-read my original post, it says clearly: "most religions", not "all religions".
Christianism talks about charity, forgiveness and love, yet there was a point in history where 5 people were killed a day in its name, now don't tell me that it wasn't because of the selfishness of a few and the control of thousands?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

commonsenseatheism.com...

Please, i advise to watch.

Tell me what you think. I'm not trying to be smug, just asking you to research and perhaps look at things from a different perspective.

Peace, always.

My point is that belief does cause prejudice, it does change people's mindset and actions, and not always for the best.
edit on 14/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

I agree with you, religion changes people but some change is good and some is bad, very bad.

I think in this case the bad outweighs the good.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Christianity also talks about sexism, slavery, and quite a few other bad things...yet we don't ascribe those policies on to modern Christianity. Why? Because it was dragged kicking and screaming out of the Dark Ages.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

...well, clearly the person doesn't believe in the Christian deity because it would care about the whole Jesus thing. You've gone quite off the deep end on this post.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

No, not really. Not at all. It cannot be argued that you'd be doing anything but using a quaint metaphor. Do you know what I believe in as an atheist? That which can be demonstrated! ...not all that much of a deity I can make out of that.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Your name is madnessinmysoul. Does that mean you believe in a soul?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

First of all , I would like to say that I have a few Atheist friends who are really good people and would do anything for you , but there are some that think their $hit don't stink , always putting down religion saying that God is just a fairy tale or an imaginary friend for grown ups.

Well, first of all. Your atheist friends can't be good because they are "heathens". They neither know Christ, nor acknowledge him as Lord and savior. Secondly, "There is none good but one, that is God." It's in your bible.
As to their waste not stinking, I certainly don't know any christians with that attitude. And I certainly don't know any christians who put down atheists saying they're going to hell to suffer eternally, and laughing because "athiests think they are they're own god." Or "Atheists wouldn't be so vehement about God if they really didn't believe in him secretly."

many years ago , one of my Atheist friend found out he had liver cancer and his doctor told him he had less than a year to live . He stuck to his Atheist beliefs until he was lying on his death bed, he told his mother he wanted to talk to a preacher . He asked the preacher about God and was it too late for him to be saved , the preacher told him it's never too late , and my friend accepted Jesus Christ as his lord and savior and passed away a few hours later.

Do you know how many times atheists have heard this story in one or another version? It sounds like to me, your friend was never really an atheist to begin with. No matter what he confessed to be. Just as I have known many christians who weren't and aren't what they profess to be.

The point I'm trying to make is , Atheist go through life not believing in God, but when their on their deathbed their tone changes very quickly . I don't care who you are , if you were in the same position as my friend was, you would be calling out for God to save you .

This just simply isn't true. Does it happen? Yes. But I have also seen folks on their deathbed asking God why. And atheists who didn't give God a second thought on their deathbed. Honestly, if this was your only point in making this thread, then it is a point made in a condescending manner, and I understand why. Christians, like some other religion I know of, think the earth belongs to them. "The meek shall inherit the earth." And all of us godless heathens will be left standing outside the gates of the "new Jerusalem".

Don't take offense. Or think I'm having a go at you, I'm not. But I truly don't understand what you hoped to accomplish with this thread. If your intent was to evangelize, it's not a very good start.

Peace to you, Klassified.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

No, it means that I believe in using metaphors.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't believe in God.He/she hasn't proven his/her existence to me.
And even if he/she exists, he/she is doing a terrible job.
So even the existence of this deity is proven to me i will never worship him/her or follow his/her rules.Why should i.Besides according to his/her teachings i have free will to do as i please.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

Fake religion believer, really?

always putting down religion saying that God is just a fairy tale or an imaginary friend for grown ups

Ever stopped to think that may be in response to what scumbag religions say about non believers!

The point I'm trying to make is , Atheist go through life not believing in God, but when their on their deathbed their tone changes very quickly . I don't care who you are , if you were in the same position as my friend was, you would be calling out for God to save you .

And how do you know this to be true? Wow you sound so absolute that your theory applies to all atheists. Oh geez wait for it ..... you sound sound like a religious dogma that cannot be questioned Bahahahahahah!

Another Atheist bashing thread! Bahahahahaha!

By the way I am Agnostic but can clearly see what you are trying to do! That is cast guilt and aspersion on those who don't believe what you believe. Now that is tolerance at its finest?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Chris Hitchens.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
These threads that attempt to bash any other beliefs besides their own are prime examples of true ignorance from people who cannot see to open up their mind to new ideas and different levels of thinking.

After all... if by chance some deity decided to show themselves (which I highly doubt would happen because a ll powerful and mighty presence as such sure hasn't done a very good job maintaining any level of perfection). They had better be armed with their ORIGINAL copy of their long form birth certificate.

"When the ideas of many are instilled collectively and without prejudice in this world.... well, that'll be the day!" ~That Guy~

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join