It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, Really ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CharterZZ

Most atheists are aware that 'belief in god' doesn't necessarily mean 'the Christian religion'...hell, most atheists are more literate on these matters than religious people.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

I'm not a smug, self-righteous atheist - i'm just being honest;

We can't prove God exists - I'm sorry, it really is that simple

The only person who has to concede is someone who creates a "theory" without any evidence. Just because we disbelieve a theory doesn't make us arrogant.

Christianity and many other religions conjure metaphysical theories; afterlife, heaven, paradise etc. etc. This is a bribe on a humans greatest fear; DEATH. This type of information can't be known to any human being and no human being as proved they can access such information.

An atheist wouldn't be so immoral as to try and convert a dying believer. Yet, if you are religious; it is seen as a virtue to try and convert those who are dying and powerless.

Let's get this straight also, if God DOES EXISt; there's no universal wish system in place (prayers); God doesn't intervene in human affairs, nor does he intervene in geological events.

Belief in God can remain (freedom of expression/speech) but religion can be put on the charlatan/huxster pile with fortune tellers, psycics, mediums and astrologists.

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true. – Friedrich Nietzsche?"

edit on 14/5/11 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

I'm sorry, but I don't see how equating belief and faith works out...all faith is belief but not all belief is faith. I believe that the Earth orbits around the Sun with absolutely no faith. I have faith in nothing. I trust with reason, I accept what is factual. If I have a friend who never does anything right and always messes up I will not entrust them to do an important deed. If I have a friend who does things quite well and I need something done I'll do it because I have a reasonable account of past experiences.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall89

They? You mean people who don't understand atheists and want to say ignorant things that don't reflect reality one bit?

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feeling for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . Or maybe “stupid” is a better way of saying it"
-- Hunter S.Thompson

He shot himself in the head a couple years ago and I doubt he asked to talk to a priest first
edit on 14-5-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I've faced a few situations where I thought I might lose my life...I didn't pray to anyone. I've had fears and existential crises out the wazoo...and I've realized I have to handle them alone.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Double.
edit on 14/5/11 by madnessinmysoul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I'll stay an atheist until one thing happens: I am given proof of at least one deity or at least a reasonable argument to believe in it.

Where do you think existence/reality/universe came from.

I believe God to be the very first thing in existence wheather that be an explosion, a force, a being or whatever thats what i see God as.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Christopher hitchen's still maintains the beliefs he has spoken about his whole life, Even though he has terminal
cancer. He will laugh at the stupidity of religions and gods right up to his last breath, so please don't smugly
brand all atheists as moral cowards lacking conviction of there ideas when there time comes.
I could find many more examples of atheists who die happy people without turning to god at the end, but i think
hitch will do as an example for all atheist thinkers.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Personally I believe in God but i cant stand talk about jesus and religion.

Congratulations, you're admittedly in the same group as demons.

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."

James 2:19

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
How can you make such an all encompassing statement? No, not everyone will call out to god at the moment they are faced with death. You are using the old there are no atheists in fox hole argument. I am not sure what this is supposed to accomplish besides being a rallying call of look I'm right you're wrong.

You also fail to consider any other options. What were the circumstances surrounding him at that time? Was he surrounded and constantly bombarded by people scaring him and pleading with him to make right with god? How do you know his actions weren't just to make all of you feel better? Maybe he still didn't believe and just wanted to make sure his loved ones weren't worrying. Even if he wasn't how can you say that others in the past have not done this?

Another thing I see on here is a lack of understanding of what "atheist" means or where the word comes from. In simple terms a theist is a person who believes in deities/gods. An atheist does not. You see when the prefix "a" is added before a word it can denote that something is without. For example amoral means one does not have morals. It does not mean they are evil or act purposely against morals. They simply attach no moral value in any action. The term atheist is derived from the word theist.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

There you go first hand proof of religion right there.

You make me sick

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharterZZ

You make me sick

I couldn't care less if I make you sick.

As long as the truth is told I'm happy.

Get rid of your cute little idol god.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

I am glad your friend decided to think twice before he took his last breath! God bless his soul! Its funny to me how someone calls themselves an atheist. hahaha....what is that really? In reality and when you get right down to it...ALL ATHEISTS believe in SOMETHING. One cannot be alive and not believe or have faith in something. If its cash, gold, his girl, his car, its something....
I would call an athiest as one who worships a "false God". Just my opinion....had to throw it out there!

But what is a false god? Wasn't John Paul II who said that all gods are the same? Just my two cents.
I'm no Christian nor Catholic, just because I know that all religions have changed over time, none of them are actually telling the truth, so I decided to follow agnosticism, I am a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known about the true nature of God. And if there is a perfect god, I know he understands.

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by CharterZZ

You make me sick

I couldn't care less if I make you sick.

As long as the truth is told I'm happy.

Get rid of your cute little idol god.

Is that attitude the main reason I didn't convert when my friends tried to convert me, is not about accepting Jesus, is the fact that you actually believe you are better than other people by believing, but the truth is you are not, after all isn't pride a deadly sin?
edit on 14/5/2011 by mbartelsm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by MamaJ

I'm sorry, but I don't see how equating belief and faith works out...all faith is belief but not all belief is faith. I believe that the Earth orbits around the Sun with absolutely no faith. I have faith in nothing. I trust with reason, I accept what is factual. If I have a friend who never does anything right and always messes up I will not entrust them to do an important deed. If I have a friend who does things quite well and I need something done I'll do it because I have a reasonable account of past experiences.

i've got to play devil's advocate on this one. ALL belief requires faith to one degree or another. your BELIEF that the earth orbits around the sun relies on all of the evidence and facts supporting this claim being real and true. I believe that a meter is a meter because my meter stick say so, but I have no way to PROVE that a meter is indeed a meter. unless you are actually watching the earth orbit the sun with your own eyes from a third party perspective, you cannot prove that it happens. that being said, I have faith in most science and believe that the earth orbits the sun, but in the back of my mind, i smile when i hear any human say that he has got any one subject figured out. we are all little babies struggling to understand the world around us. science is a tool which helps in this endeavor, but it is not the be-all-end-all Truth of the Universe, because it comes from mortal minds.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I couldn't care less if I make you sick. As long as the truth is told I'm happy. Get rid of your cute little idol god.

Damn dude for a religious guy you sound like pure evil.
Its people like yourself that give religion a bad name.

Please come back and insult me more your 'God' would be proud.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Lol, truth you say? How do you know that it is the truth? Please offer me something other than"He said so".

Good day kind sir.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Religion IS evil, look at ALL the blood in the name of their GOD...

that is what makes me sick.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by David291

Religion IS evil, look at ALL the blood in the name of their GOD...

that is what makes me sick.

Religion is not evil, in fact most religions talk about good, people is evil and corrupt, people are the sole responsible of all the blood that has been spilled in the name of religion

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mbartelsm

Okok, I'll rephrase myself, organised religion is

2nd line.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join