I believe the USA is a dying superpower. The reasons why i think this:
1) The US economy is propped up because for the past few decades the dollar has been the dominant currency used for buying and selling oil. This
basically has given the USA a piece of the pie during any oil transaction anywhere in the world. Don't underestimate how important this has been; it's
the reason why the USA can afford to maintain a defecit while every other country in the world would need a surplus to remain so prosperous.
2) The huge defecits (which can't be sustained without number 1 above).
3) Inflation (as most of you know the US government just prints money out of thin air and in fact isn't even telling you how much thanks to the
4) Dependence on the dollar continuing to be used as the currency for oil transactions and dependency on foreign countries which are propping up the
dollar such as China, Russia. China holds huge sway over the US because of this. The dollar won't be considered a safe haven forever of international
transactions, and it will be swapped out for something else. When that happens, i forsee bread lines in the USA and you'll most likely have to have a
1000 dollar note for a happy meal at McDonalds.
5) The USA is actually a VERY young country, and only became a super power mid last century after WW2. It had a meteroirc rise and i think its common
sense that it will have a meteoric fall. Imagine what will happen when the US dollar becomes nearly worthless. Do you think such a young country as
the USA has the cultural or societal cohesiveness to stick it out and accept its new place as a 2nd world country? Nope, more like everyone shooting
everyone. Thus there will be wars of desperation and alot of blood-shed as the US falls.
6) Military over-expansion that the country can't afford.
7) You can surely name some more? (Outsourcing of almost every kind of job to other countries?)
So please enlighten me if you think i am incorrect. The collapse of the USA (as a world superpower) will be centered around the fact that the US
dollar will become less and less respected for use in international trade and it's value will plummit. Yea, i'm sure some of you will say that that
can never happen to the USA because it has the biggest baddest a$$ army in the world, but what happens when the USA can't afford to pay its own
soldiers? Or simply doesn't have enough soldiers to remain relevant in international affairs?
Finally, check out how many chinese rmb you can buy for 1 dollar. It's a 5 year graph so i think it shows a trend, it speaks for itself!
This 'collapse' won't happen tomorow, but certainly it will within the next 40 years, and probaby much much sooner.
edit on 14-5-2011 by zaintdead because: spelling