It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Athens,Greece:The new warzone

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hello ATS

The last few days the center of Athens is a warzone.

1) Wednesday May 11th with the general strike.

According to witnesses,with no aparent reason police surrounded the protesters and started beating them.

videos here:

www.zougla.gr...

www.zougla.gr...

Many injured and one man is in very critical condition in the hospital.The doctors are not sure if he will be able to recover.
Since Wednesday every day the anarchists are attacking the poice every chance they get,with the most recent event taking place a couple of hours ago,when they attack the police station in Excharhia with molotov bombs.Nearby there is an outdoor market.One vehice exploded and one woman got injured.Now police is patrolling the area(i have a dozen of them near my store).
I have heard rumours from anarchists that they are willing to continue the attacks.

2)The second front occured when Tuesday morning 3 illegal immirants stabbed a 44 year old man, to steal his camera.The tragic of the whole situation is that he went to take his car because his wife was giving birth to their second child.
Since the news came out the extreme right groups found the opportunity to attack immigrants and immigrant extreme groups are attacking Greeks.Right now i personally don't feel safe to walk in certain streets of Athens,especiallly after dark.
Thursday afternoon i was walking a very central street of Athens and because of a protest it looked like a real warzone.Stores were closed with the employes inside,burned bins,smell of tear gas.

The next few days we only expect things to get worse.Unless a miracle happen(i don't believe in miracles),neither side shows any sign of backing up.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I just came back from Athens about a week and a half but everything seemed fine. This must have started recently.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

It started about 4 days ago.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller

The last few days the center of Athens is a warzone.

this is very early this year!! i thought that didnt happen until summer, especially on the islands, when all the british holiday makers arrive!!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
At first I thought the OP got the info wrong but it does indeed look like it's been kicking off in Athens the past few days and I've not seen anything on the MSM about it in The UK

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Yes there has been a lot of previous protests, the OP is correct however, it has really been kicking off over there the past few days, it was news to me too until I did a little googling

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lifttheveil

Is it just me or is there always some sort of dog in the middle of a riot?

Seriously I've seen one or two in Belfast, and there was always a random dog knocking about who didn't seem to have an owner.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I appreciate you guys doing the research and supporting the OP's claims, but are you seriously being shocked about the reason why it hasn't been broadcast in MSM? Thought you wonderful people would have figured that out, granted before anyone jumps to conclusions, I see every country as an equal, but which sounds more "jaw dropping", more fear-mongering?? Athens riots, or Middle-east turmoil. deaths, rebels....?

Jamie.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pandapowerjamie

Sky news had a section on the Missipi floods this morning which I was actually shocked to see.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Ha ha yeah BRL I have noticed the odd dog or two present at a few protests on mixed footage I've seen and think I recal the Irish one you mentioned. Maybe they are strays attracted to the commotion or just gotton loose from their owners in the commotion, one thing about the footage above, my wife said "aww, look at that dog" as I was watching it so I had to reply to comment

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
reply to post by lifttheveil

Is it just me or is there always some sort of dog in the middle of a riot?

Seriously I've seen one or two in Belfast, and there was always a random dog knocking about who didn't seem to have an owner.

hahahaha that's kanellos or a reincarnation of him. Never misses a riot! crazy skilos.

Kanellos / Kenellos

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by stygmartyrZA

That's awesome I never heard of him before, thanks for sharing that link, those images are something else, great dog

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by stygmartyrZA

No no! This is Loukanikos (translates to "sausage"), his successor.

Kanellos died few years ago. Here is a tribute video to him.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Loukanikos! to ksero! I couldn't remember the name my father told me a while back. Reincarnation of kanellos then

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I live in Athens and i work in the center,where evrything happens before my eyes.Things used to be quiet a few years back.On december 2008 when a cop killed a 15 years old kid was the "first wave" of riots against police and goverment.Then they shot a young police officer.

Since then we have isolated episodes with people attacking cops and vice versa.

But since Wednesday the attacks are more frequent.The worst part is collateral damage.From today's attacks 3 people were badly burned.
People's properties are being destroyed(the people that live in the center are far from rich),people are getting injured and the police is getting tougher and the patrols and the cops on the streets bigger in number.We are heading to a police state and most people are welcoming it.

After a discussion i had with someone from the anarchist's side told me that if by any chance the young man in the hospital won't make it,they will burn down Athens.

Of course there is a conspiracy theory that says that the so called anarchists work for the goverment.Their goal is to create all this chaos,so the citizents to live in fear and welcome every new law for their "safety" even if they lose all their freedoms and rights.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Kanellos and Loukanikos are like mascots.No march or riot begins when they are not around.

Someone trained them to attack cops.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I've been saying for months that when the media is no longer able to deflect the story of the collapse from the masses in the United States, the same thing will happen there.

Especially if there is no current season of "American Idol", "Dancing With The Stars", "Survivor" or "Celebrity Apprentice" to worry about.

When austerity measures, along with tax increases, take hold in the United States, people will finally start to realize how much trouble the USA is in.

For now, the main political parties and mainstream news networks just argue about what they need to do, rather than agreeing that both tax increases and austerity measures are needed.

When the middle and lower classes realize that their social security, medicare/medicaid, and welfare cheques are going to be drastically reduced or cut all together because their Governments ran out of money giving tax breaks to the richest Americans AFTER bailing out their banks, insurance companies, and major corporations (that the rich own most of the stock in), the lower and middle classes should be rioting in the streets.

That is, unless they are more worried about who's going to win the Superbowl or World Series this year.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Uripadee's,,,,,, quick "call the Spartans ,,,,"
Umendadee's,,,, what do you mean were in the wrong, war??

Damn timemachine,,

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

There is a point that everyone will say "enough is enough" the problem is that violence causes more violence and is not the answer to the problems.

Originally posted by BobAthome
Uripadee's,,,,,, quick "call the Spartans ,,,,"
Umendadee's,,,, what do you mean were in the wrong, war??

Damn timemachine,,

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
...people are getting injured and the police is getting tougher and the patrols and the cops on the streets bigger in number.We are heading to a police state and most people are welcoming it.

Greece/Athens, the birthplace of democracy.

Do you really believe the anarchists will burn Athens down?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join