It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska Native groups sue federal government over polar bear habitat designation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Ok i think this is the right place. Well i thought this was intresting so thought i'd post it.

Alaska Native groups worried about losing tax revenues and royalties from oil development filed a lawsuit Friday challenging the federal government's designation of critical habitat for threatened polar bears on the state's oil-rich North Slope.

The Arctic Slope Regional Corp...other groups took issue with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's decision to designate more than 187,000 square miles (484,330 sq. kilometres) — an area larger than California — as critical habitat for the bears, part of the recovery plan required by law for a species declared threatened or endangered.

That alot of land but its not going to help according to

The Arctic Slope Regional Corp., North Slope Borough, Inupiat Community of the Arctic Slope and other groups

"will not address the primary threat to polar bears, the loss of sea ice due to climate change."

There even challenging the fact that polar bears are endangered

The state also has challenged the designation of polar bears as a threatened species. That lawsuit, filed two years ago, is pending before a federal judge in Washington, D.C.

I can't help but feel like this is just oil company's not wanting to lose any money even if it means helping the polar bears. I might of viewed this differently if they weren't trying to say polar bears aren't even endangered.
Sure it might be because of global warming(probably all that smoke from burning fossil fuels...) But this land would give them there own territory where there probably more of a food source.

Alaska Native groups sue federal government over polar bear habitat designation

what do you guys think?

P.S im no expert in this type of topic but i am interested in saving our furry friends

I

edit on 14-5-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

It sounds like both sides may have a point.

I'm skeptical of the claim that polar bears aren't endangered, and how can they make a claim the polar bears aren't endangered and then simultaneously claim that the disappearing sea ice is the real problem anyway? At least they admit there's a problem. And yes the proposed solution won't stop sea ice from disappearing, but I don't think we can stop that from happening.

Even if this habitat is preserved for a time, I think eventually, someone is going to go in and get that oil out. When oil reaches $500 a barrel, the financial incentives to get it will just be too great. And they should get even more tax revenue when it's worth more, so the delay could benefit all parties including the state, the natives, and the oil companies. Maybe by that time, the polar bear population will have recovered somewhat.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

The saddest part about this story is that this is a Native group that's behind the lawsuit because they want their cut of oil development royalties?

I mean this really goes to show how much our profit-obsessed economy is just destroying and corrupting everything around it. Here we have a group of people who have a rich cultural tradition of respecting the Earth, people who live in a part of the world where scarcity is the norm, and so they understand how to live sustainably off the land.

And instead they're saying **** THAT - we wanna get PAID! $$$$$$$

Our economy is on the verge of collapse because everyone is trying to get more, more, more from something that is waaay over capacity (not to mention completely hijacked by the already-stinking-rich anyway). It simply can't exist at this pace no matter how you slice it - and meanwhile the environmental damage we are about to do as a result will be nothing short of CATASTROPHIC.

I mean look at this - the article mentions that it's loss of sea ice that is threatening Polar Bears. Although that may be true, it's frankly too late to do anything about. We've already completely screwed the pooch there. This is what the latest Arctic ice projections are looking like these days, and I'm hearing more and more people using the term "death spiral":

That's a graph of annual ice volume by month. It projects the Arctic could be ice-free by the end of the summer in as little as 5-6 years, and completely ice-free year round in just over 20. Meanwhile, as wikileaks has now confirmed, oil companies and world military are chomping at the bit to see it that way so they can go up there and get even more oil.

None of that particularly surprises me - but when Native groups are trying to get in on the action too - that's just like a kick in the gut feeling that makes you think there really is no longer any hope for humanity.

new topics

join