It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

86 planets to be searched for aliens

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

Don't worry I assure you there are probably no aliens that would want to harm us. Anything they could ever want from us or our planet could be better achieved with their own technology.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Its good to know that looking for radio signals is still going on, but I really have doubts we will hear anything. I think the odds are far higher that E.T. communicates with a form of communication we don't have the technology for. We might hear radio signals from a very young civ like us, but its likely to be very far away, and by the time we hadcommunicated back and forth in a conversation, we will have new tech that would make our radio and theirs obsolete. And they might blow up themselves in midst of the conversation, its been a threat over our heads for quite a while now. I think more likely there's a galactic community that uses antimatter/gravity drives to explore/do their usual business, and an exotic communication like using gravity waves. We would still be unaware of these civs. Think about it, we've listened for quite a few years, and only ONE WOW moment, of a possible real signal, that never repeated. It would of taken years anyway, back and forth, radio is just too slow. Could be a young civ would just radio out there version of the civ's encyclopedia, hoping someone receives it, and could make use of some of the information. You get a very long communication, and they describe themselves, their view on science, etc, and what they've learned. What would be the harm, any other civ is far away.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
We are moving towards a disclosure, if not a false flag...
Don't you people remember the pope recently announced it's ok to believe in aliens?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Just to continue my post a bit more. This would also be a way for a young civ to 'immortalize' themselves before they blow themselves up. A 'we were here, we learned this, and this is what we knew.' Wouldn't that be a neat communication to receive?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Seriously not even gonna read through the pages of this thread. They're here, they always have been and any attempt the government makes to deflect our attention will be done in this manner.

Oct 28, 2011. The time is soon. Comet Elenin is the key. Appreciate what nature is around you, appreciate the life and lives of those around and learn to truly love, regardless of how their surface value affects you.

Why has the CIA, NSA and H.Security moved to Denver? Why is the Denver airport so weird? Why is the Grand hall of that airport depicting a black object moving infront of the sun. Why does the L.A Police department have a similar depiction on their entrance floor?

Wake up people. We have little time yet still so much to learn.
edit on 15-5-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Leave it up to UC Berkeley to do something awesome.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

they are trying to hide stuff from an airport so they put pictures with "hints" all over it? cmon man...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Well found another link not much new but can use to point out one of two things out.

The giant dish began this week pointing toward each of the 86 planets -- culled from a list of 1,235 possible planets identified by NASA's Kepler space telescope -- and will gather 24 hours of data on each one.

That's a lot of possibilities there 1,235 and that number will keep rising.

The mission is part of the SETI project, which stands for Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence, launched in the mid 1980s.

So its a part of SETI so to the one's that think SETI had been scraped well I guess not.
Link www.google.com...

This peace is from CNN back in February 3, 2011 on Kepler search for earth like planets.

Kepler space telescope spots five Earth-sized planets in our galaxy
NASA scientists have announced Kepler has spotted five planets about the size of Earth, orbiting stars in our galaxy.
These planets are orbiting in what is known as the habitable zone, which puts them at a distance from their suns where liquid water could exist. Liquid water is a key ingredient for life to form.

Link edition.cnn.com...
So to me this sounds promising.
Just have to wait till results come in I suppose thanks to all for your participation in thread

Thanks

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by User8911

I think most of the searching is within 3,000 ly from the sun.

The Kepler space observatory is not in an Earth orbit but in an Earth-trailing solar orbit so that Earth does not occlude the stars which are observed continuously and the photometer is not influenced by stray light from Earth. This orbit avoids gravitational perturbations and torques inherent in an Earth orbit, allowing for a more stable viewing platform. The photometer points to a field in the northern constellations of Cygnus, Lyra and Draco, which is well out of the ecliptic plane, so that sunlight never enters the photometer as the spacecraft orbits the Sun. Cygnus is also a good choice to observe because it will never be obscured by Kuiper belt objects or the asteroid belt.
An additional benefit of that choice is that Kepler is pointing in the direction of the Solar System's motion around the center of the galaxy. Thus, the stars which are observed by Kepler are roughly the same distance from the galaxy center as the Solar System, and also close to the galactic plane. This fact is important if position in the galaxy is related to habitability, as suggested by the Rare Earth hypothesis.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I will be a part of sending someone to Mars, that you can count on!

Calm down now no need to send anyone to me

hehe how about they just send me!

How do we know they have not already done that.

Thanks

I have always wondered with all I have read if we have been to Mars. Just because it isn't openly stated that we can go to Mars doesn't mean they haven't. I have some kind of odd feeling we have been there.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This Kepler image will give you some idea of the complexity involved in the search for earth-like planets.

This image from NASA's Kepler mission shows the telescope's full field of view -- an expansive star-rich patch of sky in the constellations Cygnus, Lyra and Draco stretching across 100 square degrees, or the equivalent of two side-by-side dips of the Big Dipper.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I think that the United States have known for a good while about life on other planets they just need a way to tell the public.

This looks like a 3 stage programme to me, i just hope that they do it sooner rather than later.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Detail from above.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by wlasikiewicz
I think that the United States have known for a good while about life on other planets they just need a way to tell the public.

This looks like a 3 stage programme to me, i just hope that they do it sooner rather than later.

Some have said that so your not alone

Could well be true what a good way to disclose without been lynched for keeping it secret but me I could not care less of how it happens as long as it does this denial have gone on long enough so I stay hopeful.

reply to post by mblahnikluver

I have always wondered with all I have read if we have been to Mars. Just because it isn't openly stated that we can go to Mars doesn't mean they haven't. I have some kind of odd feeling we have been there.

I'm with you on that and I know from my time on ATS many more seem to think that too maybe one day we will find out nothing stays hidden forever.

Thanks

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Looking at the way humanity is doing at the present moment, you have to wonder, out of the number of species that achieve "intelligence" I wonder how many avoid destroying themselves? My gut feeling is that the number is very small. And then spread that small percentage of survivors throughout the galaxy, and the chances of Earth intercepting a signal is even smaller. Be optimistic, but I don't think the chances of us receiving a signal are good.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jb1958
Its good to know that looking for radio signals is still going on, but I really have doubts we will hear anything. I think the odds are far higher that E.T. communicates with a form of communication we don't have the technology for. We might hear radio signals from a very young civ like us, but its likely to be very far away, and by the time we hadcommunicated back and forth in a conversation, we will have new tech that would make our radio and theirs obsolete. And they might blow up themselves in midst of the conversation, its been a threat over our heads for quite a while now. I think more likely there's a galactic community that uses antimatter/gravity drives to explore/do their usual business, and an exotic communication like using gravity waves. We would still be unaware of these civs. Think about it, we've listened for quite a few years, and only ONE WOW moment, of a possible real signal, that never repeated. It would of taken years anyway, back and forth, radio is just too slow. Could be a young civ would just radio out there version of the civ's encyclopedia, hoping someone receives it, and could make use of some of the information. You get a very long communication, and they describe themselves, their view on science, etc, and what they've learned. What would be the harm, any other civ is far away.

You just stated my exact problem with SETI.

However great SETI might sound when you first hear it, but when you take 5 seconds to think, it seems like a complete waste of time and money.

They are looking for civilizations with radio comm technology, which is the very basic level of comms systems [assuming that because its the first one we used to communicate and will almost certainly be replaced within the next 100-1000 years]

But looking for radio waves is like trying to catch a fish in the ocean with a pencil, you might get really lucky, but chances are you're not going to.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Was that not one of Hawkings suggestions as well. Based on the way we have progressed and the way we appear to be going. The chances of intelligent life reaching a level of technological achievement to begin space colonization/exploration before they wipe themselves out, are eliminated by and ELE, dying star, disease etc is very very slim.

If a species does make it that far, you would hope they are move advanced morally and have overcome the problems which we still have today. And just because they make it, it doesn't mean they started out that way. They too could have fought wars between themselves for resources. Life in all it's forms on earth demonstrate that it's a dog eat dog world out there.

I'm optimistic we will be told soon that we are not alone.... silently optimistic.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Awesome thread ...Stared an Flagged ..

I have been waiting for this a long time for NASA and others to open up to us .. in the Google earth community you would be surprised at how many people out there that are really into this .. I haven’t been in there much lately only cause I lost my online access for about 7 months but cant wait to get back in there il bet they are all just as happy about all of this as we are..

In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Google earth community had a large part in this as there are many believers there.. I have met so many cool people who have telescopes and watch the sky religiously .. and it makes me sooo jealous cause I want my own telescope .. one that records digital pictures ..

wow this is amazing .. now maybe they can un blur the moon .. in Google earth and start telling us more of the real truth .. I know they know .. hey and if anyone else on ATS uses Google earth community and does research we should start our own thread on stuff here at ATS anyone interested ?? or maybe I should check it out in a search .to see if there is a thread ..

Great News ! * ! * ! *

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
What does Earthlike mean? A planet that has a solid crust like mars? The solid crust with the iron core to generate a magenetic field to shield the planet from solar rays, or the full 3 miles, the surface the core, right temperature water air, etc. ?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

Part of it is a terrestrial planet 0.8 to 3 times the mass of earth orbiting a star in a habitable zone described as having a surface temperature of 0º C to 100º C, magnetosphere and atmosphere are secondary measurements as geological makeup is, because those are much more difficult and speculative measurements with technology currently available today. You have to start somewhere and provide a vague guideline to continue taking measurements of a find. Sounds fairly elementary doesn't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join