It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uganda: Parliament Committee Backs Anti-Homosexuality Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I'm not sure what exactly of what I've posted provoked your response; and maybe it's coincidence, but either way, the following excerpt is still relevant to this thread.

Klipoth 7: Saturn-Inverted

"Dante found a very infra-red, bloody red color in that dimension. When you examine with your clairvoyance that ego of violence against nature, you find that it has a very bloody red color in its aura, because it is in relation to violence against the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit circulates in the blood, and that is why that ego fills itself with blood, with the Holy Spirit. This is why vampires are related with blood."

"And the enemies of the Holy Spirit hate the cross - how are they called? There are many levels of this type of hatred, but the most well known person is Dracula."

Although we have to distinguish between the physical crucifixion of Yehoshua the Man; and the Crucifixion of the Universal Christ, who Incarnated in Yehoshua.

edit on Sun May 15 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on 15-5-2011 by Tamahu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!

As it seems to have been forgotten, this is the topic:

Uganda: Parliament Committee Backs Anti-Homosexuality Bill

Please post on topic....

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

Trolling, And What To Do About It

Further ill-mannered, off topic posts will be removed and warned, up to an including temporary post bans.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ok, I'm sorry that a tongue-in-cheek mentioning of how two other religiously fundamental countries deal with homosexuality (and other gender-sexuality issues) was off-topic. I'll try again...

Uganda has been linked with Prayer Breakfast organizer Rick Warren and as a result, it prompted many to protest Obama's attendance recently. Ironically, Iran, a so-called "enemy" country is at least willing to recognize gender-identification issues by allotting for sex changes (male-to-female). Naturally, not all gay men feel the need to change sex through surgery or hormone therapy. Nevertheless, at least there is some contingent in that fundamentalist nation that allows for alternative lifestyles. Unfortunately, Uganda is not held up as an analogous Christian example in order for people to 1) make the comparison; and 2) see that it is not always Islam that takes religion down the dangerous path. Of course I'm not going to be an apologist for Islamic Fundamentalism as many "pre-op" people have died from this credo.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I saw A programme about uganda and its views on homosexuality a few days ago on bbc three i think. The guy presenting it was gay and what struck me was that many of the people he met didnt have a clue. They couldnt tell him apart from any other seemingly tourest.
Anyhow, obviously they were asking people why they were against homosexuality and ALL of them, the old, the middleaged and even the youth, all pointed to the teaching of their religion. The main culprets being christianity and islam. As suspected, there religioys leaders babbled about how wrong it is and many people have eaten it up despite the fact that homosexuality iswell documented in past african tribes and so on.
So unless there is a breakdown in peoples faith, i cant see any gays being allowed to live in peace and be how god made them. And people wonder why i hate organized religion so bad, what uganda needs is a lesson on the sexual histroy of mankind and for those preechers to shut up shop and fly to the moon, Bloody lunatics!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

A question that comes to my mind is why have Africans been so susceptible to Christian and Islamic BS dogma that so obviously goes against human nature? What is it about the people there and/or their cultures that makes them such easy targets? Instead of bringing peace, religion has brought out or given a platform for the expression of evil, hate and violence of Africans against Africans.

The Abrahamic religions have been the source of violence throughout history in every part of the globe, but it seems to be working especially "well" in Africa to destroy civility in this 21st century.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

A question that comes to my mind is why have Africans been so susceptible to Christian and Islamic BS dogma that so obviously goes against human nature? What is it about the people there and/or their cultures that makes them such easy targets? Instead of bringing peace, religion has brought out or given a platform for the expression of evil, hate and violence of Africans against Africans.

The Abrahamic religions have been the source of violence throughout history in every part of the globe, but it seems to be working especially "well" in Africa to destroy civility in this 21st century.

I have a feeling that religions have weaved their way deeply into african societies., Slowly but surely becoming a corner stone of each community. No doubt, investments have been made by religious groups such as the christians to build schools in order to better brainwash the children. I can only imagine that the majority of most middleclass area's of uganda have schools that are centered around religion.
I also got the feeling that there is more of a community in places like uganda. People know eachother, they talk to one another, interact, gossip and such. This has more then likely worked in favour of religious institutions. As people began to adopt religious views, community's banded together to make sure no one steps out of line, and on a personal level, bring "shame" to the family by doing something not permitted.
Though who really knows? Im sure religion has got ALOT to do with it but i'm also keen that some people are just following the crowd.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I think you may be on to something with the religious schools. Where the governments were unable to fund schools Christian and Islamic groups moved in, and of course their "education" came with a strong evangelical religious message attached.

The law apparently has not passed this time around, but the zealots have not given up. I should think that they have bigger things to worry about than who is in love with who.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Where are outside organizations on this matter, that should be standing to protect the rights of all citizens.

Are these not crimes against humanity?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayno

I think you may be on to something with the religious schools. Where the governments were unable to fund schools Christian and Islamic groups moved in, and of course their "education" came with a strong evangelical religious message attached.

The law apparently has not passed this time around, but the zealots have not given up. I should think that they have bigger things to worry about than who is in love with who.

I agree completely, its just a shame that in modern times when science has surpassed religious faith that there are still things like witch hunting/burning taking place. Its a sad sad situation in many parts of africa, one that religious sects have happily taken advantage of.
Thank you for discussing

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Sad, a bit extreme. Granted homosexuality is an illness it is mostly a benign illness(usually doesn't hurt others). Why not just make an exile city or two for them to live in peace? Or even at worst just make them undergo a sex change or something. The death penalty is way to extreme and set's the stage for political or other motivators for mass killings.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I know that I am probably not doing this correctly and am "quoting" too much here but this is a document which I received on the 10 May 2011, which was passed to me and I sent it on to as many of my friends as I could. I would like to point out that the 1 million mark was reached, the 1.5 million mark was reached and eventually this petition received over 2 million signatures and the bill was not passed into law as far as the confirmation email which I received from avaaz.org. Which I can copy and paste on this thread should anyone be interested, or u2u me and I can forward the said document!

And to all the homophobes out there, have you ever lived with any type of discrimnation? If not, shut your faces, you have no idea what it's like, ESPECIALLY in Africa!

"Please sign and pass on. I can’t believe this still happens in this day and age.

Dear friends,

In 48 hours, the Ugandan Parliament may vote on a brutal new law that carries the death penalty for homosexuality. Thousands of Ugandans could face execution -- just for being gay.

We've helped stop this bill before, and we can do it again. After a massive global outcry last year, Ugandan President Museveni blocked the bill's progress. But political unrest is mounting in Uganda, and religious extremists in Parliament are hoping confusion and violence in the streets will distract the international community from a second push to pass this hate-filled law. We can show them that the world is still watching. If we block the vote for two more days until Parliament closes, the bill will expire forever.

We have no time to lose. Almost half a million of us have already joined the call -- let’s get to one million voices against Uganda's gay death penalty in the next 48 hours -- click here to take action, then forward this email to everyone:

www.avaaz.org...

Being gay in Uganda is already dangerous and terrifying. They are regularly harassed and beaten, and just months ago, gay rights activist, David Kato (pictured above), was brutally murdered in his own home. Now LGBT Ugandans are threatened by this draconian law which imposes life imprisonment for people convicted of same-sex relations and the death penalty for “serial offenders”. Even NGOs working to prevent the spread of HIV can be imprisoned for “promoting homosexuality” under this hate-filled law.

Right now, Uganda is in political turmoil -- in the wake of the Arab spring, people across the country are taking to the streets, protesting high food and gas prices. President Museveni has responded by violently cracking down on the opposition. This upheaval has provided religious extremists in Parliament the perfect chance to slip in the shelved anti-gay bill just days before Parliament closes and all proposed laws are wiped from the books.

President Museveni backed away from this bill last year after international pressure threatened Uganda's aid and support. With violent protests sweeping the streets, his government is more vulnerable than ever. Let's build a million strong petition to stop the gay death penalty bill again and save lives. We only have 48 hours -- sign below, then tell friends and family:

www.avaaz.org...

Earlier this year, we stood in solidarity with Uganda's equality movement to show that every human life, no matter what creed, nationality or sexual orientation, is equally precious. Our international petition condemning the gay death penalty law was delivered to Parliament – spurring a global news story and enough pressure to block the bill for months. When a tabloid newspaper published 100 names, pictures and addresses, of suspected gays and those identified were threatened, Avaaz supported a legal case against the paper and we won! Together we have stood up, time and time again, for Uganda’s gay community -- now they need us more than ever.

With hope and determination,

Emma, Iain, Alice, Morgan, Brianna and the rest of the Avaaz team

SOURCES:

Ugandan lawmakers hold hearings on anti-gay bill
www.google.com...

Uganda gay activist Kasha Jacqueline Nabagesera hailed
www.bbc.co.uk...

Pulling Out All the Stops to Push an Antigay Bill
www.nytimes.com..."

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Excuse me???? Since when is homosexuality a disease? How does one "Catch it?" Is it transmittable through the bite of say a "gay" mosquito?
WHERE do you people get your information or should I ask "your DISinformation? You are pathetic and this whole situation would be laughable but to gay people it's deadly BECAUSE of ignorance like yours!

Send us into exile in some town where we won't infect you and your kind! MAKE them undergo a sex change? I can think of a number of people, a few of them have made themselves known on this thread, that should be MADE to undergo a brain transplant! They don't even MAKE paedophiles undergo chemical castration but lets make gay people undergo a sex change operation. I am gay not because I want to be gay or because I want to be female, I am gay because I am a male, a man and I like men AND let me add it was NEVER a CHOICE! I have lived with this knowledge for as long as I can remember and I am 52. Don't tell me about choice, disease, ask me about discrimination and I can write a book!
You know what I hope you never get the disease because you would give being gay a bad name!
You're all so high and bloody mighty! Quoting biblical text and verses from books written by MEN long dead, this is the 21st century, gay is here to stay so deal with it!
edit on 18/5/11 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by korathin

Starred and flagged this thread! Why? Because anyone who hasn't experienced discrimination should read it!

Excuse me???? Since when is homosexuality a disease? How does one "Catch it?" Is it transmittable through the bite of say a "gay" mosquito?
WHERE do you people get your information or should I ask "your DISinformation? You are pathetic and this whole situation would be laughable but to gay people it's deadly BECAUSE of ignorance like yours!

Send us into exile in some town where we won't infect you and your kind! MAKE them undergo a sex change? I can think of a number of people, a few of them have made themselves known on this thread, that should be MADE to undergo a brain transplant! They don't even MAKE paedophiles undergo chemical castration but lets make gay people undergo a sex change operation. I am gay not because I want to be gay or because I want to be female, I am gay because I am a male, a man and I like men AND let me add it was NEVER a CHOICE! I have lived with this knowledge for as long as I can remember and I am 52. Don't tell me about choice, disease, ask me about discrimination and I can write a book!
You know what I hope you never get the disease because you would give being gay a bad name!
You're all so high and bloody mighty! Quoting biblical text and verses from books written by MEN long dead, this is the 21st century, gay is here to stay so deal with it!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

Hats off to you and let me be the first to say "You CANNOT be a homophobe, you don't have the right attitude" and you can ask me, I've met many of them, some right here on ATS and you clearly DO NOT QUALIFY.
I have been wanting to start this thread since I first got the mail I posted earlier but after having been flamed too often because of being gay I didn't. So, I thank you!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

That New York Times article confirms what I said earlier:

Last year, an evangelical Christian from Missouri, Lou Engle, held an event in Uganda at which the bill was promoted ...

American Christian extremist (terrorists) are behind this. They aren't content to cause grief here, they have to exploit people's ignorance across the globe to promote the killing of innocent gay people.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

What's scary is living in an African country where a Member of Parliament, a certain Mr Jerry Ekandjo, said we were animals and should be chased into the ocean and drowned, and he gets away with such blatant hate speech! God forbid there should ever be a "Pride" march here, they would probably shoot us! Then the government has the audacity to keep holding it's hand out to the international community for donations, development aid etc AND GETS IT! Where are the international communities B@%%S when it comes to the gay population in Africa? I'll tell you where, up the darkest place in the human anatomy never to see the light of day! I am sick of the hypocrisy we live with everyday!

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think the OP is confused...isn't this a bill just forwarded by the Right Wing in Wisconsin?

-- 2nd line --

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

When I was growing up in the 1950's and '60's here in Canada, homosexuality was still officially classified as a mental illness. That is the mindset I grew up with, not yet having confronted the fact that I was gay myself. It wasn't until the 70's, in university, that the subject began to be seen in a more positive light. Fortunately that was the atmosphere in which I had my coming out experience. There was a very strong movement afoot after the Stonewall riots.

African gay liberation has had an extra hurdle put in front of it thanks to the Christian evangelists and Muslim extremists who have sort of gotten a head start on the pride movement. I can't help but believe that you will also see your day of liberation one day, perhaps in the context of an upswing in African economy and higher education. Many of the poorer nations around the world are slowly beginning to share in the global economy. China is investing in Africa (or is it raping for resources?), but change is afoot. The internet means that your fight is not in the shadows anymore, but the whole world is watching.

I was happy to be able to participate in the Avaaz petitions. Please keep up the fight, while protecting your own safety. The position of the religious extremists is ludicrous, and in the end they surely will lose. In the meantime, know that many of us around the world are watching, and are with you and will do our part to put pressure on the politicians.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I wonder how quickly Uganda would become a "terrorist nation" if they were persecuting overtly Evangelical Christian-extremists instead...

,...Ah, that'll never happen, we only protect people who are capable of making the choice to stop doing the "crime", the people who are incapable of changing must simply be killed. The Ugandan government calls this "Anti-degeneration"....

I'm having trouble grasping the concept of anti-homosexaulity in Christianity as Jesus had 2 messages: "Love your neighbor as yourself", "Love God with all your heart". Anti-homosexuality is Levitican Law upheld only by Jewish sects, claiming to be anti-homosexual is inherently anti-Christian.

...Lord have mercy on their souls.... (but if He doesn't, no educated individual will give a damn)
edit on 18-5-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join