It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Boom in Virginia Likely a Meteor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Mystery Boom in Virginia Likely a Meteor

news.yahoo.com

Tuesday evening, residents across Virginia Beach, Norfolk and Suffolk, Va., dialed 911 to report what sounded what a large explosion. Today, a NASA scientist explained that it might have been a meteor.
The area is home to several military bases, so residents are accustomed to loud sounds. This was out of the ordinary, though; several 911 callers reported a loud noise that rattled their screen doors and windows. One woman told the local television station, WAVY, that it felt like an earthquake.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Sat May 14 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: title must be the exact title of the source

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
first time i start a discussion here so i must apologize if i posted on the wrong place or sth..im still new to this
i found this interesting,but more interesting than the article itself are the comments,you might take a few minutes reading some of them...i really enjoy pple being sarcastic and witty about all this pseudo scientific explanations mainstream media tries to fead us every day..

what are your opinions?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Haha, those comments are great!

"It's probably the dollar crashing"

That's a pretty interesting thing to have happen. Considering it wasn't anything dangerous, I wish I had been there to feel it.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongyou
what are your opinions?

Without even reading the article, bits of rock are entering the earth's atmosphere all the time. Every minute of every day. Most very small, some a bit larger.
So one over Virginia, sure why not?
It happens much more than most people realise.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I'm in Richmond right now and didn't hear it and on Thursday I was in Sussex county and didn't hear it not sure when it happened but no one has mentioned it around me. In fact my grand parents are in Va Beach right now and have been since Friday no word from them when I spoke tot hem earlier...but I'll ask around. I did notice when I was at the beach on Tuesday they had drills going on at the little creek and fort story bases and what looked like drones out over the bay with helicopters following them. Lots of ships out in the harbor and all were unloaded as far as I could tell. I know cause they were drafting pretty high. I'll keep a look out though for info and honestly I'd love to find out there was cause I'll go looking for meteorite pieces big money there
plus how many people have something from outer space in their possession...

ETA: lol I should read better I was in VA beach Tuesday and now that I think about it we did hear a rather large crash boom type sound and never heard any jets before or after so I guess I did hear it

edit on 14-5-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

ok..you got your first buyer if you find sth..
..but be sure its not a made up meteor

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I hope someone witnessed it so we have a possible area to try to locate pieces of it!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by amongyou

nah I wouldn't do that I am a avid rock hunter and honestly I'd probably keep it and put it in a wire wrap (type of jewelery) and wear it cause come on that's friggin cool, but yea I guess now that I think about it it did really happen and it was loud enough for me and my bro to go outside to investigate what had made the sound...didn't rattle anything and/or feel like a quake
honestly I thought it was a car accident or something.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
there is this thread that I think is related:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and here is an article on Space.com
space.com article

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I live here in the area and it was on our local news that some local school children were looking into it and came upon some evidence of it being a particular type of ground tremor...the name of which escapes me.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

how many rocks falling from the sky makes enough noise that people living in an area who are use to noise from the bases there would call 911 and report it lets see oh ya zero

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by john1287

[most likely produced by] material which originated from the nucleus of Halley's Comet. When these tiny bits of the comet collide with Earth, friction with our atmosphere raises them to white heat and produces the effect popularly referred to as "shooting stars." So it is that the shooting stars that we have come to call the Eta Aquarids are really an encounter with the traces of a famous visitor from the depths of space and from the dawn of creation.

source

Eta Aquarids Velocity 66 km/sec

source

1.25 kilometers/second is about as fast as a bullet you're going to find. The rocks are hardly "falling"
not that I know what caused the boom.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

Well if it was a tremor it didn't shake anything my way at all...like I said honestly it sounded like an accident or a plane crash maybe. Not so sure I think it was a tremor not to mention is there even a fault there? I know there are about 8 nonactive ones in the state but more towards the mountains didn't think there was one on the coast.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

yes..if i see well it was posted after mine..but it is the same thing....and strangely,i once saw a meteor coming down..there was no boom..i dont know where it landed ,it was south italy about 2 years ago,saw it towards the jonic sea..

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

like i said I have no idea... I just didnt like the statement comparing meteors with falling rocks

I live in Dark Sky and have watched many showers. In several showers I have seen some that appeared to explode in the atmosphere. Years ago I saw a large daylight meteorite that made the news at the time. I have never heard one make any noise or sonic boom for that matter. From what I have read it is not unheard of though.

edit on 5/14/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

edit on 15/5/11 by argentus because: (no reason given)

top topics

join